aliens

Author Topic: [Craft Weapon] Laser Cannon Pro  (Read 6522 times)

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
[Craft Weapon] Laser Cannon Pro
« on: August 07, 2014, 01:37:07 pm »
So I've been playing a bit again, and I'm playing a no-plasma Veteran game, which is so far going pretty well. However, I'm woefully outmatched by the larger UFOs, so I decided to create this.

I've not used it yet, so it might need some balancing, but basically it's a researchable modification to the laser cannon, which will allow you to lower the damage output and refire rate, but increase the range and accuracy.

Research is quick and cheap, but manufacture and costs are the same

All the graphics and ufopaedia data are same as the laser cannon.

BTW - When I tried to add a STR_LASER_CANNON_PRO_UFOPEDIA string, it wouldn't load my mod, something about an illegal tab when looking for indentation. Always on that line, even if I retyped it; so I just removed it...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 01:39:56 pm by pmprog »

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Craft Weapon] Laser Cannon Pro
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 05:22:48 pm »
BTW - When I tried to add a STR_LASER_CANNON_PRO_UFOPEDIA string, it wouldn't load my mod, something about an illegal tab when looking for indentation. Always on that line, even if I retyped it; so I just removed it...
Did you keep it somewhere, so we can have a look, as it is strange to hear

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 05:39:49 pm »
No, like I said, I deleted the line, retyped it from scratch - even with different words. I'm not really that bothered, there isn't much to add anyway, so it's fine showing the original.

Been in a couple of battles with it, but no large ufos have come my way yet

Offline Harald_Gray

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 06:35:27 pm »
The thing is, there are many people here who would have been willing to help with such a simple matter if the cause was a typo or something, and if you've found a bug, it would be nice to be able to hunt it down.

As for the weapon itself, I'd say the only ships it is useful against are Supply Ship and maybe Harvester. Small UFOs are easy prey, Abductor is outranged by ordinary lascannon. Harvesters are relatively easy to shoot down with Avalanches and Stingrays (which outrange it too). Terror Ship outranges it and has such a dps that it can shoot down even a Firestorm before two of your lascannons shoot it down. So it is only good against Supply ships - if you can catch them and unless you prefer to assault them when they land.

I'm not saying it is useless. I tend to arm my primary Interceptors with an Avalanche/lascannon combo and this weapon would help me suffer less damage. And it has a damage output about 15% higher than a regular lascannon, which can sometimes help too. But it is not a very good weapon to hunt large UFOs with.

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 10:09:16 pm »
The thing is, there are many people here who would have been willing to help with such a simple matter if the cause was a typo or something, and if you've found a bug, it would be nice to be able to hunt it down.
Attached - It's literally one line added. Nothing special. This was even added on a different computer...

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 10:35:03 pm »
Attached - It's literally one line added. Nothing special. This was even added on a different computer...
Remove the 3 tabs and replace with spaces (screen 1)
If you use Notepad++ (also Windows) there is an option to make tabs automatically replaced by spaces (and also how many spaces you want)

You should encode your file on UTF-8 instead of ANSI for translation purposes, if even (screen 2)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 10:40:02 pm by Aldorn »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 10:44:41 pm »
hmm.... I thought the files wouldn't work in UTF?  I thought they had to be in ANSI?

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 10:53:14 pm »
for everutthing besides translateion ANSI is fine as soon as you out languagestrings into your mod you should convert it into UTF-8

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 10:55:11 pm »
hmm.... I thought the files wouldn't work in UTF?  I thought they had to be in ANSI?
It will work in ANSI, except for some translations
It is the case of french translation (and others), especially regarding accents (é,è,ç,...), which would not be correctly displayed if not in UTF-8

It's a "best practice", as being aware of case sensitive while declaring paths and file, for Linux portability purposes
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 10:58:44 pm by Aldorn »

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 11:36:25 am »
Remove the 3 tabs and replace with spaces (screen 1)
... and primary reason for not using YAML in OpenApoc ...

Offline pkrcel

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 12:01:17 pm »
You have to delimit somehwere......of course visible characters are best  ;D

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 12:32:59 am »
... and primary reason for not using YAML in OpenApoc ...
Frankly, it is just a question of being used to
And take some adequate text editor

For light modders as me, this format is really user friendly