Author Topic: What was the most creative death of an alien,civilian,operative in openxcom  (Read 4958 times)

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
I had 2 operatives inside a demolished terrorship with floaters,i hadn't had enough tu to move a soldier on the second floor of the ship so i sent someone with a flying suit to tank the damage.The floater did the unthinkable and while still aiming for the initial target,went down a floor bypasing the solder with the flying suit and repositioned itself to shoot the soldier that was guarded.
And the A.I. was in beginer may i add.

Offline Random Commander

• Captain
  • Making no sense since 1997
    • View Profile
Re: What was the most creative death of an alien,civilian,operative in openxcom
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 07:12:41 pm »
Dude, I remember a mission where I had a guy in Powersuit Armor fighting one single alien, but on the Alien's turn, two more aliens flanked the powersuit guy from either side and fired at him, but he soaked the damage. He was down to 4 health and had 5 fatal wounds (!), so I decided that he should go out with a bang, and the only explosive on him was a High Explosive.

...You can guess the rest of the story.  ;D

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 06:02:39 am »
Dude, I remember a mission where I had a guy in Powersuit Armor fighting one single alien, but on the Alien's turn, two more aliens flanked the powersuit guy from either side and fired at him, but he soaked the damage. He was down to 4 health and had 5 fatal wounds (!), so I decided that he should go out with a bang, and the only explosive on him was a High Explosive.

...You can guess the rest of the story.  ;D

I laughed WAY harder at this than I should have. I was imagining a squadie all burnt to hell saying "ALLUH AKBAR" and blowing himself up... Terrible.

I had a few operatives that were total characters. Armand Jackson... How can I remember his name so well but forget my birthday??? Armand was a grunt who seemingly had a knack for causing explosive havoc. He was from the the uncanny valley of having max starting strength and max throwing accuracy. I would quite regularly use him to relay grenades or throw them in crazy positions to bust cover or flush an alien. Before long I was loading him down like a mule and he got hulk strong. Once he hit like 65 strength he would just He-Man an HE into where ever. Once he threw 3 in a turn and brought a building down and racked up 6 (yes 6 )kills in a turn.

I had an operative who was death incarnate. Wounded a dozen times, and was my aliennapper. She would run up and poke the Xenobear with a stick until it quick twitching... hilarious.

But to answer your question, by some strange twist of fate I had a guy autoshot and kill three sectoids. I was aiming at one, missed and hit another killing it. Second shot hit killed intended target and last shot sped off into the dark... striking a third and dropping him. I dubbed him "Tailor" for the brave little tailor doing SEVEN IN ONE STROKE!!!

I used to regularly shoot across the map with a rocket sniper I had groomed, until he rounded Pi to 3 and went 'Splode.

Playing TFTD I had a sub that had a one tile hole in the rood and was next to some scaffolding rock bullshit so I used that as the entry point. This was before I had Mag Ion armor so I spent two turns crawling these guys up there and had them jump in. I thought " HA! I got 'em" and the first guy landed face to face with a Xarquid. DOH! yeah he died... But his BUDDY! well he landed and gutted that squid with his vibroblade.

I once forgot to put more men on my sky ranger after a particularly nasty mission full of kills and wounds and had ONE guy on the ship when I dispatched it to a terror site. Through sheer fucking luck and a few wise decisions and patience I managed to clear a terror site with one guy. It took me like 85 turns to do it, so much collateral damage but HOLY SHIT I did it. That guy eventually made Captain through attrition.

I shot a cyberdisk out of the air and landed on the gas pumps on a terror site killing two sectoids and revealing a third who just panicked.

-HH

Offline Random Commander

• Captain
  • Making no sense since 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 04:19:17 pm »
I laughed WAY harder at this than I should have. I was imagining a squadie all burnt to hell saying "ALLUH AKBAR" and blowing himself up... Terrible.

In my head at that time I was imagining him saying "See you in hell motherfu*boom*"

I used to regularly shoot across the map with a rocket sniper I had groomed, until he rounded Pi to 3 and went 'Splode.

Rounded? Try dividing pi by zero, that tends to be more explosive ;)

That reminds me: In FMP I mind-controlled a Gazer and sent shooting at a holodrone. That holodrone autofired in reaction and killed both the gazer AND the guy who MCed him. I proceeded to shoot a large rocket at it, which made a direct hit, but it still didn't die! I dubbed it the "god drone" until I managed to shoot it down with a Gauss Sniper.

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 11:26:14 am »
Played OXC for testing some time ago. Got the first guy off the right side of the ramp, when he dropped down he spotted a Sectoid in a field.

Made him crouch and shot at the Sectoid. Obviously, it missed.

But a Cyberdisk that was in the dark on the other side of the Skyranger reacted to my guy shooting, missing it and hitting the Sectoid in the field.

Also, was playing TFTD a long time ago, with a ball mouse. Ordered my guy to shoot at a Gillman in the dark. My mouse slipped and I accidentally ordered to shoot an empty tile next to the alien. But my guy missed the shot too, and hit the alien square in the chest,

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 05:13:24 am »
Also, was playing TFTD a long time ago, with a ball mouse. Ordered my guy to shoot at a Gillman in the dark. My mouse slipped and I accidentally ordered to shoot an empty tile next to the alien. But my guy missed the shot too, and hit the alien square in the chest,

I know that feeling. So hilariously bad and awesome all at once.

I was once playing TFTD and had an operative cruising around 4 levels up trying to see over all the maze coral/cave bullshit. Ended the turn, Direct hit with a DPL. Instakilled and fell 4 stories.

-HH