Author Topic: Any way to rip DOS music from .cat files both from UFO: EU and TftD?  (Read 7458 times)

I'm not sure about proper place of this topic, so moderators or admins can move this topic to another department of this forum if it's necessary.

Okay, let's stay on the topic, so as the title says: Is there any way to rip DOS music of UFO: EU and TftD from .cat files? I've tried to rip the music using a program, which I can't remember the name now, but it didn't work. When I try to play .raw files in Winamp with AdPlug plugin, there's no sound. Winamp just didn't play any of this files. However, there wasn't any problem with sfx. Almost every sfx file was played correctly both in Winamp and other audio programs including for example Audacity. Any idea?

@Edit
I just discovered japanese program called hoot... but quality of UFO: EU and TftD soundtracks are terrible :/

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to rip DOS music from .cat files both from UFO: EU and TftD?
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 02:15:10 am »
Did you get this issue resolved?

If you are wanting to get the Music from the games I think one of the best ways would be to play the Vanilla game using DosBox . . . that will play the internal midi music using the same sound libraries from the old days (ie, it will sound exactly the way they intended for it to sound). I used that technique to capture some music from Doom 2 also.

Then you record from the Stereo Mix using Audacity or some similar audio program.
This is a problem for TFTD though which has the "water sounds" playing on loop in the background for battlescape.

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
  • Never let me down again.
    • View Profile
    • Mod Hub for Equal Terms 2.0
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 06:20:11 pm »
I think also you can do a midi capture.

Edit:

https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Special_Keys

Code: [Select]
"CTRL-ALT-F8 Start/Stop the recording of raw MIDI commands. "
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 06:23:49 pm by KingMob4313 »

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 11:59:35 pm »
What id like to know is how to extract the Sound Effects, my guess is to use some kind of data ripper, i dont see any utilities listed here for extracting sounds or creating (vanilla) sound packs.

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 09:12:47 pm »
Did you get this issue resolved?

If you are wanting to get the Music from the games I think one of the best ways would be to play the Vanilla game using DosBox . . . that will play the internal midi music using the same sound libraries from the old days (ie, it will sound exactly the way they intended for it to sound). I used that technique to capture some music from Doom 2 also.

Then you record from the Stereo Mix using Audacity or some similar audio program.
This is a problem for TFTD though which has the "water sounds" playing on loop in the background for battlescape.
Unfortunately, no. And it looks like the problem will not be fixed with Fenyo's help, because  he didn't answer to pm :(

Of course, I can record UFO: EU adlib music by using DosBox, but I had on my disc... no, partition (hehe) recorded adlib music of UFO: EU by Fenyo, but I don't know how he do that, because I tried using any software that can rip the adlib music from UFO: EU .cat files and the riped files doesn't play in Winamp. Now I have that disc in IT service, because one partition has been "corrupted" (there's a data in that partition, but Windows can't show this data. Windows shows only my customized partition letter, which is "Y", but the name shows default ["Local disc", which means 'Dysk lokalny' in polish ;P], but this is not important. Also, DosBox wan't updated for very long time and the OPL3 soundchip I think needs some corrections. In my opinion, some instruments are "too short" played (I called it as "cutting instruments" :P). This effect I have while testing OPL3 in Doom 2 on MAP01. The only thing is that I don't know are some other people hear that I just wrote :P