Author Topic: [RESEARCH/PROGRESSION] Lasers from Heavy to Pistol  (Read 8788 times)

Offline NeoWorm

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [RESEARCH/PROGRESSION] Lasers from Heavy to Pistol
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 11:41:25 am »
I dont want to change the weapon stats in this mod. That was the idea of this experiment - just reaorganize the stuff. I want this mod to be as lightweight as possible. That includes cleaning up all unnecessary bits from rulesets before attempting to release it.

But concerning the pistols - I use quickdraw mod that gives you 2 slot space for sidearm that you can unholster for 0 TUs. That makes pistols few levels more usaful because you can actually use it as a quick sidearm. Shotgun and laser pistol is useful combo untill Mutons become common encounter. By than you just need plasma for at least half of the team.

Offline BlackLibrary

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 03:48:59 pm »
Consider your experiment successful then.  For game-mechanics, the pistol became obsolete on arrival a bit.  Not terribly, but enough to demand something relatively significant enough to make it worthy of being a mid-game weapon that has to go head to head with the standard plasma route. 

Its a great idea you have...and its logical.   We all can agree to that.  Reducing the TU% on Laser Pistol when auto and increasing accuracy at all for aimed/snap/auto  by 15-20% is valued, me thinks.   I'll try that tomorrow and see how it played.

Offline ChainsawAardvark

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 05:31:16 pm »
First of all, let me thank you for this mod. This is something I've wanted for X-com for a long time. The tech progression from large to small makes more sense to me, and getting the heavy laser earlier means its less overshadowed by the plasma weapons.

Have you ever considered adding an alien alloy cost to the lasers? If you consider a progression like 12/8/4/0 for cannon/heavy/rifle/pistol it solves two of the problems mentioned above. Despite receiving the cannons early on, they can't be manufactured and built infinitely, or at least not without also dedicating engineers to producing other materials. On the other hand, the pistol costing only money is a big advantage over the plasma weapons available later on. With advanced craft, power armor, and weapons all competing for scarce supplies - mere money  isn't such a concern.