Author Topic: Soldiers to recruit.... elite....  (Read 28842 times)

Offline Firestorm

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Soldiers to recruit.... elite....
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2014, 08:29:36 am »
Well, X-Com is a game first of all - not a simulator of military action. This means that gameplay rules should always be in a priority. As for system of hiring new troops - it should be definitely more clear. Maybe something like Griswold shop in Diablo. You have a list of recruits with shown parameters that (list, not parameters ^_^) change regular. Maybe something like - the oldest offer (if the list is full) leaves the list and the new offer appears in the list every in-game day.

This has always been my opinion.  I mean, I'm the leader of a (somewhat) prioritized multi-national defense force.  Are you telling me I can't even see the soldiers I can get before they arrive?  I'd expect to at least be able to see a list of potential candidates before I decide who I recruit, and not just settle for whatever dregs the governments scrape off the bottom of the barrel (even if it IS the very nicest of barrels).  Then I can pick who I need based on priority.  Maybe increase the range of both caps, so if I want that guy who can thread a needle with a bullet, I have to accept the fact that his target can run a marathon before the shot ever comes. My thought was more to have a set number of candidates each month, and the next month replace them with new applicants, or maybe just fill in the gaps.  If you use all up your wannabes before then, then you DO have to accept whatever random guys (and gals) the feds can conscript to your cause.  Although I do like the idea of adding one (or some) more each day.  Either way works, really.

Oh, and as for the "Stats improve more when they're lower or not" debate, you have to be more specific.  Primaries (accuracy, reactions) don't, but your secondaries DO improve faster at lower levels (statistically speaking, of course).

Offline drugon

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2015, 10:15:38 pm »
So no one made such a mod yet? I wonder is it possible to make dynamic starting characteristics of recruits depending on time or some events in the game?

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2015, 11:13:09 pm »
you can probably be able to make this by making them as human HWP that can be buyable from beginning but not manufactured and no ufopaedia

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2015, 12:03:34 am »
Being HWP, you will only be able to load a few in your transports and they will never improve though, that doesn't quite work.

Unfortunately, one can only define one type of soldier, with one set of stat ranges, and the actual values of the stats are only generated when the soldier is ordered. You have to do your own screening. That is OK by me. In XCom the commander does everything. In a real military organization, the commander would have people doing the screening, but he would also not micromanage the equipment of soldiers or their action in battle. We do everything (or the game turns into a strategy level game where the commander only plays in the geoscape).

What could work in the current micromanagement game is if, like crafts, soldiers had a "costBuy" and a "maintenance". You could make buying soldiers cheap (it's the plane ticket to the base for the interview) and the maintenance expensive (that's the salary + health insurance).

It would also remove stupid stuff like hiring a soldier on the 30th of a month means he gets paid when you buy him and again at the end of the month.

Of course, you can also raise the minimum values for certain stats to make soldiers a bit less useless (50 or something accuracy instead of 40, higher min bravery, etc.) if you think they aren't good enough.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2015, 12:08:03 am »
change HWP limit to 100000 on all transports ..it won't matter because HWP take up 4 space units so you can only have a fixed amount + few soldiers no matter what

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2015, 12:12:11 am »
I know the solution to that part... What are you gonna do about xp? Allow tanks to gain stats?

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2015, 12:19:24 am »
they are supposed to be elite and already maxed out in level .  when you recruit them they are all very expensive and already captain level. and selling them is 0 cause you just fire them .  and  otherwise are regular troops.

elite soldiers are mercs designed for specific purposes like heavy (high str high health high melee and throwing), sniper (high firing acc), scout (high stamina and tu) and psionicist (high psi skill) only available to purchase once you build psi labs

and by high i mean these guys are pros  heavy is like 80 health 100 throwing, 80 str, and 80 melee, sniper is 100 acc, scout is 110 stamina and 100 tu, psionicist is psi 100 psi skill 60 etc but all other stats are average.

heavy
tu 50
stamina 60
health 80
firing acc 50
throwing acc 100
melee 80
str 80
psi str 0
psi skill 0

scout
tu 100
stamina 110
health 35
firing acc 60
throwing acc 40
melee 40
str 25
psi str 0
psi skill 0

etc

they all come with their own armors that are like power suit. scout  can fly. psionicist's armour is kinda like personal armour.

..but they cost 4 times more than regular soldiers and don't level up like regular soldiers
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 03:22:12 am by tollworkout »

Offline drugon

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2015, 01:34:00 pm »
Well, actually how about new technology - robot soldiers? It will take a sense that they are not leveling up. More than that - it will be realistic in a measure. Cause nowadays there are many army programs in all the world that suggest to change people soldiers for robots. But we'll need some research changes and new sprites in this case beside new code for such units.

Also - is it possible to make one or two more base facilities? Like shooting range and gym for example?

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2015, 02:05:40 pm »
there is a mod like that. scouts or something . robotic soldiers can use weapons and equipment but not wear armor

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2015, 07:01:32 pm »
Well, actually how about new technology - robot soldiers? It will take a sense that they are not leveling up. More than that - it will be realistic in a measure. Cause nowadays there are many army programs in all the world that suggest to change people soldiers for robots. But we'll need some research changes and new sprites in this case beside new code for such units.

Also - is it possible to make one or two more base facilities? Like shooting range and gym for example?

It is not currently possible to have other facilities of the training kind, no. It is possible to invent new facilities (Dioxine has an "outpost" or something, which has both storage and beds, for example).

Robot soldiers could work. There is already the Enforcer mod that is based on some XCom game which featured a robot-soldier.

Another problem with HWP soldiers is that HWPs don't have maintenance costs or salaries. Can you give them one?

Offline drugon

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2015, 07:54:28 am »
It is not currently possible to have other facilities of the training kind, no. It is possible to invent new facilities (Dioxine has an "outpost" or something, which has both storage and beds, for example).
Really? But shouldn't these parameters have the same algorithm as psi ones?

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2015, 08:06:38 am »
you're thinking of mecs but is not possible. : )

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2015, 04:20:36 pm »
Really? But shouldn't these parameters have the same algorithm as psi ones?
Really.. Having a generic "training facility" with moddable target stat and moddable training time would be awesome. However, the psi-lab is the facility and it increases psi-skill (psi-strength too maybe if you turn on that option?).

One day, maybe.. And then we would be close to having a hospital facility as well (which "trains" hp back to its maximum)

Offline drugon

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2015, 11:22:26 am »
Well that sounds reasonable for me.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2015, 08:58:59 pm »
The training facility could be the answer for this. I read somewhere that the game has code for it but its not complete me thinks? Could be wrong.

Another way to do it, is limit the number of recruits per month to a pool (say 20-30 soldiers) and make their stats viewable prior to hiring (apocalypse style). How could this be done is beyond me though.