Author Topic: Weapon Rework/Expansion - Version 0.8  (Read 58643 times)

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon Rework/Expansion - Version 0.8
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2014, 02:23:36 am »
Got some more I think people could use.
I know the white p-90 looking thing is kinda stupid, but its got that minimalist 80s / 90s outer limits kind of feel.

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2014, 08:17:43 am »
amazing work all of you!!! you guys are  awesome, keep the artwork coming!!!!

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2014, 10:42:53 am »
Very varied weapons! I might put a couple of 'em through my workshop to make them more smoove... (as this is what I do, steal, improve, repeat - I'm not that good at making sprites from scratch!) :)

Here's my little contribution (unsure if I'll use it in my mod, so no point in keeping it laying around...) The second one is a joke - these who don't remember Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold won't probably believe such a weapon was a part of a paid game (and one of best looking at that) :)

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2014, 10:47:26 pm »
LOL omg the blaster pistol from blake stone. Yeah but I absolutely loved the sound effect for it, and from the sprite death animations of the bad guys it looks like it does some serious frikkin damage.

Love that green gun too, reminds me of the rombulan disruptor rifles from star trek. Rombulan weapons kick hind end.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2014, 11:39:39 pm »
Hmm weren't it Klingons who used Disruptors? Thought the Romulans used Plasma guns... nvmd everything worked just like phasors with replaced bullet sprite (at best) :)

Out of your sprites so far, I think I like the sniper rifle and the multi-rocket-launcher best... I wanted to add a Quad RL to my mod, even converted a Shadow Warrior sprite, but yours is probably better for that purpose :)

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2014, 12:18:36 am »
Thanks, I did originally mean for the rocket launcher to be a dual tube which "snapped onto" the launcher, but it makes much more sense for it to be a quad anyway. The tube ammo can take up 2x3 size too but you get 4 rockets instead of 2 for it.

And some more lasers here, these being for fans. I hate the way Fallout 3 lasers look, and despise Fallout 3 in general. But I couldnt find any silhouette fallout 2 fanmade models. I would go to the trouble of making them myself if i was going to use them (I am a rabid fan of fallout 2, but more specifically fallout 1).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 12:22:22 am by RSSwizard »

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2014, 03:07:06 am »
The klingons and rombulans both used disruptors but they were modulated differently. The early human starfleet used plasma weapons but they were weak and difficult to aim, so they upgraded to phasers when they got the chance.

This is something ive been trying to sprite for a very long time. Its some kind of generic energy weapon ive seen in the original battlestar galactica, and a few limited scenes in earth final conflict. I love the way it looks because it reminded me of the Gauss Rifle from TFTD and id say it might've been the inspiration for the gauss weapon art style. Finally tracked down a screenshot to build from, which I included.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 03:11:54 am by RSSwizard »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2014, 05:47:46 am »
Hah, Fallout 1-2 was something... too bad the F3 Van Buren never got off the ground, the demo looked promising... As for the actual Fallout 3, you've simply misinterpreted the genre of the game (Epic & intriguing post-apoc RPG: no. Nude mods: yes) :)

Sadly none of these pictures looks like the real-deal Fallout 1-2 Laser Sniper Rifle; the first one is way too clean, the second one got the proportions wrong - and the yellow stripes are missing too. I've made a weapon *very* loosely based on a similar idea (and maybe with some  WH40K influence)... maybe some day I'll go all the way. And speaking of Fallout, I've also pixellated some other old favorite...

btw early Starfleet weapons were difficult to aim... compared to phasors? Oh god.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 05:49:55 am by Dioxine »

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2014, 10:46:19 pm »
Sadly none of these pictures looks like the real-deal Fallout 1-2 Laser Sniper Rifle.
Yeah but they're a good base to work from. Once you resize things down to 32x48 even having a slihouette is enough, and even then you're going to change the proportions. I dunno its just one of those artist mindset things, it seems to be harder to start from nothing. Ive also been able to turn a perspective-based image into a flat one at the low level, as long as its lined up lengthwise.

And that Bozar is awesome, thanks for it (can it be used?).

btw early Starfleet weapons were difficult to aim...
Phasers shoot a stream and continuous fire, as soon as you pull the trigger you know where the shot is going, and you can adjust aim and "whip" the target with it. Just like a water gun. Thats like recoilless full auto using tracers, on steroids.

The plasma guns fired a "slow projectile" which it always appeared any enemies were able to dodge or duck out of the way easily. Combined with not having sights, of course. And whenever they did shoot someone with the pistols, the (tougher) aliens had to be shot like 2-3 times, and using their toughness as an advantage they would usually get away after the first shot. The initial scene of the Enterprise series where a klingon was shot with a plasma rifle and knocked backwards, thats a full size long-barreled plasma rifle, not a pistol.

At least thats what I remember from the Enterprise series.

Phasers have almost always been a one-shot-stop. And in any case where they wasnt, the alien almost universally had to be vaporized to be put down, since the higher settings wouldn't do the job either. I think there were a few aliens the entire star trek series who could take 1 stun blast and just be staggered by it (and I think the one bajoran chick who was the security officer on TNG was able to take a rombulan disruptor on stun and only get tripped up by it).

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2014, 12:27:49 am »
Well, Jean-Luc Picard's old Tommygun still proved better than any of these weapons, killing borg drones like a boss :)

And sure, you can use the Bozar.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 01:08:58 am by Dioxine »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2014, 05:34:37 am »
A couple things more, a few added to Piratez, M16 isn't (you can emulate Xenonauts now if you want to :) )
Pistol is ROTT rip, M16 is an Alien Shooter Vengeance rip, Desert Eagle thingy & tank machinegun pixellated by myself.

Offline chaosshade

• Colonel
  • The Harpy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2015, 11:39:00 pm »
I know this is a necro post, but I feel I should let everyone know that I've started working on this mod again.  I've mostly done debug stuff so it's in way better shape than when Rockfish stopped working on it.

Notable Fixes:
-All weapons can be researched now
-Weapon balance heavily adjusted
-Crashy weapons have been disabled to stabilize the game

Notable Bugs:
-Blaster Launcher cannot be used by the player, although it can be researched (still haven't figured this one out...)
-Thermal weapons cause the game to crash
-Arc Projector causes the game to crash
-Heavy Launcher causes the game to crash
-Shotgun causes the game to crash

If anyone can figure out WHY the noted weapons make the game crash, PLEASE don't hesitate to fix it and PLEASE post the fixed code either on the forum or on the mod page!

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2015, 03:45:48 pm »

Offline chaosshade

• Colonel
  • The Harpy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2015, 05:44:12 pm »
Update to chaosshade version 0.2

Thanks to having Warboy's help w/ the mod we figured out why the Thermal Weapons were crashing the game.  It turned out there was a bug w/ the engine itself that was causing problems.  The aliens have a huge selection of weapons now, although Heavy Plasmas and Blaster Launchers are still quite rare.

Notable Fixes:
-All weapons fully implemented and working.

Upcoming features:
I wanted to implement some more new weapons and possibly improve upon the rather crappy shotgun in the mod.  I frankly like Warboy's shotgun mod a lot more and I use that instead, lol.  What I really need is an artist to do the handob sprites for the battlescape.  I can do the bigobs sprites myself (in fact I really enjoy it) so I don't need help on that front.

Planned:
-Laser Shotgun (because, c'mon, Laser Shotgun!)
-Laser Sniper Rifle (I have this working as a stand-alone but I need to merge and reskin it)
-Plasma Shotgun (see Laser Shotgun)
-Plasma Sniper Rifle

I know that "arsenal expansion" mods typically end up with a huge selection basically junk items but ideally a weapon mod should allow players to experiment w/ new play styles.  I hope I can reach that goal in the end.