aliens

Author Topic: [CRAFT] Air Combat Rebalanced  (Read 23162 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: [CRAFT] Air Combat Rebalanced
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2015, 05:02:09 pm »
1. Laser is the new plasma.

2. Craft Cannon is the new Avalanche missile.

I was thinking of adding this mod to the expansion I'm currently working (it includes elements of several existing mods) but those 2 reviews really made me think twice. There isn't much a point to make changes if they simply replace the optimal choice of a weapon for another one.

Offline Markus Ramikin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2015, 09:20:46 pm »
Hey, one man's opinion. :)

Besides, you could always check out my adjustments, three posts above, and see how that works out for you. The mod is a fundamentally sound idea, it just needed a bit of tweaking.

With my adjustments, I use pretty much everything:
- Craft cannons vs small scouts, to not destroy them,
- Stingrays vs medium scouts, to outrange them
- eeeeeeeeeeverything against large scouts, to defeat them before they defeat me
- [could use Avalanche against larger stuff, but I just speed my way to laser cannons instead]
- laser cannons against medium and smaller UFOs, to save on Elerium for rearming plasmas
- plasma beams against large and very large UFOs
- [Fusion balls would work well against Battleships, but I just let them land so I can get all the Elerium from a ground mission. And in a pinch, I tend to have enough Avengers to just bite the bullet with plasmas.]
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 11:37:22 pm by Markus Ramikin »

Offline Markus Ramikin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2015, 11:58:55 pm »
UPDATE: the game's fix to a problem with dogfight speed resulted in this info from Warboy:
mod authors: double your ufo break-off times and reload rates for both ufos
and craft weapons.

I replaced my tweaked ruleset with a version that does this, attached in the same post as before.

The actual mod author needs to do that for their ruleset. (Or you can all just play with my tweaks, muahaha)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 08:52:57 am by Markus Ramikin »

Offline Antan

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Air Combat Rebalanced Mod question
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2016, 04:27:55 pm »
I was going to post in the original mod but the warning message convinced me not to. My question is probably dumb but it will help me understand this better.

This mod is about a year old and from what I am reading about the install directions will only work with openxcom 1.0? It mentions the data folder which as I was reading the wiki and mod changes saw that the Git no longer uses that folder. So to play this mod it can only be used on version 1.0 correct? I tried using it on the latest git and the game would not load.

Also what is the rule or how does one go about asking or getting permission to update someone else's mod that is no longer being updated?

Antan

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Air Combat Rebalanced Mod question
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2016, 05:04:52 pm »
The only rule I am aware of is: Credit people properly. Ideally ask for permission, but asking someone who moved on and may never reply isn't really going to work. Posting in the original thread might well send the creator a notification, which would be a good way to get his attention.

If you do update the mod by yourself to work with the nightlies, post about it in the original mod's topic, so that people can see the creator's original work and that we keep all the information in one spot.