Author Topic: [SUGGESTION-UNCUT][#066] "Implant Devices" slots  (Read 4848 times)

Offline Unknown Hero

• Colonel
    • View Profile
[SUGGESTION-UNCUT][#066] "Implant Devices" slots
« on: July 08, 2014, 01:27:49 am »
"Implant Devices" slots (under "I.D." text in image, (can be an icon)).

Each soldier/alien/robot/civilian have 4 "Implant Devices" slots.
Each unit can have a random generated number of usable "Implant Devices" slots, from 0 (none) to 4.

A padlock is displayed to indicate unusable slots.
In this image, the soldier has only 2 usable slots, he can only have 2 Implant Devices.

Implant Device:
Size: 1 high x 1 wide
Weight: from 1 to X

Note: Just like the "Copy" and "Paste" buttons for inventory template, the 4 "Implant Devices" slots (and text (or icon)) are masked when the info about Ammo for Weapon are displayed.

Implant Devices must be researched (research to be determined) and manufactured before to be able to use them.
Implant devices boosts units capacities.

They can be equipped/unequipped before/during combat on all units at a cost (TUs (only during combat), to be determined), the alien/robot/civilian (all non XCom units) must be mind controlled first before equipping them.
Drop the Implant Device on the floor, mind control the target, and equip the target with TUs of target (the simpliest way, (can be done other way with more work)).

There are 2 types of Implant Devices (for now).

* Bio-Mecanical Implants:

They affect:

Time Units
Energy
Health
Stun Resistance
Fatal Wounds Resistance
Strength
Front Armor
Left Armor
Right Armor
Rear Armor
Under Armor
Vision Range
Night Vision Range
Energy Recovery
Fire Resistance
Acid Resistance
Smoke Resistance
others...

* Bio-Cyber Implants:

They affect:

Bravery
Morale
Reactions
Firing Accuracy
Throwing Accuracy
Melee Accuracy
Psionic Strength
Psionic Skill
Panic Resistance
Berserk Resistance
others...

* Generaly, Implant Devices simply add points to a specific capacity.

Examples:

A Bio-Mecanical Implant adds 20 points to Stun Resistance, and the soldier can resist 20 more points before becoming unconscious.

A Bio-Mecanical Implant adds 20 points to Time Units, and the soldier can use 20 more TUs during his turn.

A Bio-Mecanical Implant adds 2 points to Fatal Wounds Resistance, and the soldier can resist 2 Fatal Wounds before feeling the effects of injuries.

A Bio-Mecanical Implant adds 5 points to Night Vision Range, and the soldier can see 5 more tiles during night time missions.

A Bio-Cyber Implant adds 20 points to Bravery, and the soldier has 20 more points to Bravery.

A Bio-Cyber Implant adds 30 points to Morale, and the soldier has 30 more points to Morale (and he can never go under 30 points to morale).

A Bio-Cyber Implant adds 10 points to Panic Resistance, and the soldier has less risk to become panicked (I don't know how it exactly work in game).

A Bio-Cyber Implant adds 30 points to Psionic Strength, and the soldier has 30 more points to Psionic Strength.

* Implant Devices can also be used on robots.

Same fonctionality (if necessary) but with other names (and need other researchs).
"Hardware Extensions" and "Software Improvements".

* Implant Devices can also subtract points to a specific capacity (specific Implant Devices to be equipped on alien units).

Example:

A Bio-Cyber Implant subtracts 30 points to Psionic Strength, and the alien unit has 30 less points to Psionic Strength.

* Specialized Implant Devices can also be researched.

Example:

Psi-Controller: A Specialized Implant Device that can be equipped on Civilians to control them continuously during combat (--> Mind control (Psi-Amp) --> equip Civilian --> XCom controlled).
A more advanced version can be researched to use it on Aliens (more research, higher cost, etc.).

So much Implant Devices, so few slots, make your choice.

Lot of possibilities. Lot of fun.  :)

As usual, the images are for explanation only.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [SUGGESTION-UNCUT][#066] "Implant Devices" slots
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 02:34:19 am »
Do you actually think the OpenXcom developers are going to implement this in the core game ?

Offline Unknown Hero

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 03:02:31 am »
Really, I don't know.
I have an idea that I like, I make a suggestion.  :)
May be someone will be interested enough to make it happens.

Quoting myself:

Now that OpenXCom has reached 1.0, the engine should evolve.
As long there will be adds/changes to the engine, there will be modders. If the engine "freeze", then nothing more to experiment/add, modders will leave.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 04:18:05 am »
But this one for example is not even a suggestion! You are basically asking the developers to code support for a mod/TC... that you are not writing! After that, how do you think they can take seriously the 64 other requests that you've made in the last 2 weeks ?

Offline Unknown Hero

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 08:17:41 pm »
@ yrizoud

But this one for example is not even a suggestion! You are basically asking the developers to code support for a mod/TC...

I ask nothing.

If developers are interested to do it, if they want to try to do it, if it can lead to another idea, etc., ...their will, their desire, ...their choice.

I hope they do what they do because they like it.

No ideas, ...nothing to develop, nothing to program.

that you are not writing!

This is the Suggestions forum.

This is not the Development forum, nor the Modding/Experiments forum.

64 other requests

I would have written "65".

in the last 2 weeks

So?

But this one for example is not even a suggestion! You are basically asking the developers to code support for a mod/TC... that you are not writing! After that, how do you think they can take seriously the 64 other requests that you've made in the last 2 weeks ?

What are you trying to express?

niculinux

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 09:28:09 pm »

That would distort the game, plus remembers me very system shock 2 stuff, so no please ;)

Offline El Yahpo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 11:15:49 am »
I like this idea. I'd try it as a mod I think. Plenty of those distort the game to their own vision.

However, I would suggest making the implants unmovable in combat.

Maybe, you could have both movable and immovable implants, too.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 12:35:31 pm »
there is actually a few things necessary for this:

- items that change attributes
- equipment slots that only allow certain items
- equipment slots that can only be accessed in certain situations

(adding equipment slots and re-configuring the inventory layout is already possible via ruleset editing)

I like all of these ideas - for modding :) so yes, I vote +1 for these, but I don't see them being implemented in the near future, because they are completely unneccessary for the core game.

once these ideas are implemented, however, it would also become easily posible to create a modular HWP / HWP Turret system (and even interchangeable ammo): HWPs gain an inventory screen with a single "turret" slot that can only be accessed in the base equipment screen and holds only "HWP turret" items, and one or two "alternative ammunition" slots that can be accessed anytime and hold only "HWP ammo" items. :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 04:09:12 pm »
Let me put it this way:
I'm all for a new tactical game using OpenXCom engine. Can be cyberpunkish, because it'd fit the gameplay. :)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 09:18:44 pm »
Sounds like a useful mod, i like it  8)

Offline Unknown Hero

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 10:31:42 pm »
@ El Yahpo

However, I would suggest making the implants unmovable in combat.

Hey, I want my "Psi-Controller" for Civilians.  :D

Maybe, you could have both movable and immovable implants, too.

Absolutely!  :)

Each Implant can and should have different attributes: "Removable", "One time use" (1 mission only), "Exclusive" (no other Implant), "etc.

@ moriarty

(adding equipment slots and re-configuring the inventory layout is already possible via ruleset editing)

Nice.

I like all of these ideas - for modding :) so yes, I vote +1 for these, but I don't see them being implemented in the near future, because they are completely unneccessary for the core game.

once these ideas are implemented, however, it would also become easily posible to create a modular HWP / HWP Turret system (and even interchangeable ammo): HWPs gain an inventory screen with a single "turret" slot that can only be accessed in the base equipment screen and holds only "HWP turret" items, and one or two "alternative ammunition" slots that can be accessed anytime and hold only "HWP ammo" items. :)

Yes, the aim is to expand the engine, and make that all kinds of crazy things are possible.  ;)

@ Solarius Scorch

Let me put it this way:
I'm all for a new tactical game using OpenXCom engine. Can be cyberpunkish, because it'd fit the gameplay. :)

Yes, the "Mind Control" "Open Mind" attitude.  :D

@ luke83

Sounds like a useful mod, i like it  8)

Fun everywhere.  :)