Author Topic: Total conversion mod idea - alternative sequel?  (Read 5445 times)

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
Total conversion mod idea - alternative sequel?
« on: June 29, 2014, 12:57:18 pm »
Hello,

I see there are more and more great mods in our community. Maybe it's time for someone to start total conversion mod for OpenXcom? Maybe some idea would be to make alternative sequel? So, instead of TFTD, something else?

For example humans destroyed mars base in 2015 and year is 2020. New treat appeared in new ships, with new weapons.There are new races or old ones upgraded / evoluted. For example green sectoids, red mutons, etc. X-com could start with top equipment from first part.

It would be interesting to play some new game ;)

And i think that openxcom engine is ready for such big stuff?

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Total conversion mod idea - alternative sequel?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 02:21:13 pm »
Piratez anyone? :>

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 01:59:50 am »
Hello,

I see there are more and more great mods in our community. Maybe it's time for someone to start total conversion mod for OpenXcom? Maybe some idea would be to make alternative sequel? So, instead of TFTD, something else?

For example humans destroyed mars base in 2015 and year is 2020. New treat appeared in new ships, with new weapons.There are new races or old ones upgraded / evoluted. For example green sectoids, red mutons, etc. X-com could start with top equipment from first part.

It would be interesting to play some new game ;)

And i think that openxcom engine is ready for such big stuff?
Actually the Apocalypse tribute mod I'm doing, falls in this category.
The player basically has the full arsenal from the start. The new alien threat comes with its own new tech. There are also corporations running around; they have some exclusive tech too and you'll have a friendly and an unfriendly way to get it (if the ruleset is by my side).

Offline Muukalainen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 02:13:18 pm »
For me the best part of Apocalypse was fighting against the Cult Of Sirius and the other gangs.

Mutant hybrids, androids, thugs, cultists, robots and crazy weapons. You would not even necessary need those aliens from other dimension. There could just be a new threat, some kind of evil genius that is uniting all the underworld and the police force is powerless, maybe even too corrupted already. So the corporates decide to start fund x-com again and investigate what is happening and stop this "evil genius" from taking over the world.

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 03:00:24 pm »
X-Com = Extraterrestrial Combat Unit
So aliens are needed.
Their presence must be at least suspected, maybe to discover, as the game progresses, that it was all a human machination, a big ruse to seize power hiding behind fake aliens.

Of course nothing prevents someone to do full spinoff where you are impersonating an anti-crime agency.
But if you keep the name 'X-Com', extraterrestrials must be (imo) "part of the picture" in some way.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 03:04:55 pm by robin »

Offline Nattfarinn

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 03:21:18 pm »
I dream of "UFO: X-Com Defense" spinoff about player controlling aliens invading earth. Building alien bases, sending harvesters or terror ships, constantly loosing Scouts in Interceptor dogfights... :P

Offline Qpoter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 12:01:30 am »
This has probably been thought of before.

What about a total conversion where X-COM has lost the battle with the aliens after failing the Cydonia assault? It would be the year 2001 or something, and you'd control a group of ragtag resistance fighters. You have to scavenge all equipment and use guerilla tactics to survive. Winning battles in the early game would be pretty much impossible, you'd just grab as much alien gear as you can and retreat.

Offline Nattfarinn

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 01:09:02 pm »
This has probably been thought of before.

What about a total conversion where X-COM has lost the battle with the aliens after failing the Cydonia assault? It would be the year 2001 or something, and you'd control a group of ragtag resistance fighters. You have to scavenge all equipment and use guerilla tactics to survive. Winning battles in the early game would be pretty much impossible, you'd just grab as much alien gear as you can and retreat.

Something "Ufo: Aftermath" plot-like X-Com conversion? I'm in.