aliens

Author Topic: [MISSIONS] Including some conditions to start or complete missions  (Read 14079 times)

Offline Deskulpa

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [MISSIONS] Including some conditions to start or complete missions
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2014, 07:46:12 pm »
A "hold the line" mission, where you are overthrown by enemy forces and have to hold for X turns.
Always wanted this for base mission, you have to hold the aliens until more help comes.

My base defense mission I always have to go after the aliens.

Offline skyhawk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 07:29:43 am »
I honestly don't like this suggestion much. If you want a bunch of nonsense scripted forced rubbish, play EU (2012). (Yeah, I didn't care too much for that one).

That said, this could potentially be used to make the research tree a little more realistic. Perhaps the game would not unlock research topics until after the need for them has become apparent? Medi-kit not unlocked until you've taken at least 1 Fatal Wound, Laser Weapons not unlocked until after several missions using conventional arms, Laser Rifles not unlocked until after several kills with Laser Pistols [Based on field experience with the Laser Pistol, we've come up with this nifty new Rifle that doesn't miss all the time], etc. Armor and Crafts could also benefit from some 'pacing'.

I'm not saying this is a good idea, or that I would necessarily want to play that way.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 11:55:28 pm »
I honestly don't like this suggestion much. If you want a bunch of nonsense scripted forced rubbish, play EU (2012). (Yeah, I didn't care too much for that one).

Believe it or not, I'm also against nonsense scripted forced rubbish. :) And, well, I have to admit some examples in this thread are not what I would like to see. However, there are some good, logical conditions that would make the game a bit richer without being annoying or - especially - gamey. The possibility itself would be good, so that we could implement good ideas. (And who would decide which ideas are good? Modders, of course. :) )

That said, this could potentially be used to make the research tree a little more realistic. Perhaps the game would not unlock research topics until after the need for them has become apparent? Medi-kit not unlocked until you've taken at least 1 Fatal Wound, Laser Weapons not unlocked until after several missions using conventional arms, Laser Rifles not unlocked until after several kills with Laser Pistols [Based on field experience with the Laser Pistol, we've come up with this nifty new Rifle that doesn't miss all the time], etc. Armor and Crafts could also benefit from some 'pacing'.

It's an interesting idea, something like functional achievements. :) I'm not sure I'd use it, probably not, but still.

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2014, 12:51:22 am »
To be more accurate on the global idea :
1) Intention is not to make all missions be conditioned, but only some of them
2) For people who don't like being forced to complete this kind of missions, malus could be very low in case of ignoring them, in order to make them be considered as "bonus" missions only
3) And for people who absolutely don't like this idea, I remember it is a mod idea, so no impact as long as you don't activate this kind of mod ;)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 06:36:24 am »
More "hooks" in the code for modders to hang a mod onto is always a good thing. Multipart missions could be really cool (especially for base assaults and defences, but also in terrors where step 2 could be going for the not very well defended landed UFO after finishing the usual "save the civilian" part.

Should they be forced upon us by being hardcoded into the core game? Hell no!
Should a "hook" be placed so the the mars mission is not the only 2 part mission in the gane? Why not! The feature is already (almost?) there, it just needs to be more general, which makes sense from a programming point of view (coding general functions instead of specific ones)

niculinux

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2014, 10:07:18 pm »
To be more accurate on the global idea :
1) Intention is not to make all missions be conditioned, but only some of them
2) For people who don't like being forced to complete this kind of missions, malus could be very low in case of ignoring them, in order to make them be considered as "bonus" missions only
3) And for people who absolutely don't like this idea, I remember it is a mod idea, so no impact as long as you don't activate this kind of mod ;)

Maybe, also make it an openxcom options, so won't begin mod compatibility problems and conficts. :)

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2014, 10:12:42 pm »
Don't be afraid, as it is just brain storming at this time  ;)

Offline Hollow_Fang

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 10:08:33 am »
YES ALL OF THEM FREE YES'S FOR EVERY ONE WORKING ON THIS IDEA! ;D

niculinux

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2015, 10:32:31 pm »
It would really make life more easy on the side of both player and m8dders, especially having read this! .