aliens

Author Topic: [SUGGESTION-CUT][#002] Soldier, kneeled or not kneeled?  (Read 9971 times)

Offline Unknown Hero

• Colonel
    • View Profile
[SUGGESTION-CUT][#002] Soldier, kneeled or not kneeled?
« on: June 24, 2014, 01:36:18 am »
2) Sometimes it's difficult to know if a soldier is kneeled or standing.

Reverse the yellow arrow over the soldier when he is kneeled (pointing to the ground when standing (default), and pointing to the top when kneeled), and add a red dot on the kneel button near the kneeled icon.

Cut from this thread on demand for better convenience:
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2279.0

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [SUGGESTION-CUT][#002] Soldier, kneeled or not kneeled?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 08:44:56 am »
+1

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile

Offline 54x

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 12:05:58 pm »
That's just confusing. I'd suggest a double-arrow instead.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 12:14:40 pm »
I could get used to the reversed arrow, but double arrow would indeed be better.

But... why the red dot? That's not only ugly, it's against the entire philosophy of the UI. Plus, it's completely unnecessary. (But we could have a "pressed" alt graphics for this particular button if you insist.)

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 12:42:56 pm »
As speaking about a dynamically button, why not just a reverse button ?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 01:01:07 pm »
As speaking about a dynamically button, why not just a reverse button ?

It's the most logical solution, but I also feel these buttons are too similar. It takes some time for me to recognize which one is which... A pressed/non-pressed alternation would be clearer.

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 09:37:35 pm »
unfortunately it doesnt help to see what soldier i should select next
if i prefer the already standing soldiers to move forward a bit so the kneeling one can shoot the discovered alien from the back
i have neither the arrow nor the button (for the selection process)

Offline darkestaxe

• Colonel
  • Emissary of the Brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 10:12:08 am »
+1

I ran into this problem a few times when I was playing a ~week ago. I'd read this suggestion and I was thinking to myself "I wish I had the kneel mod right now, I'm not sure she's kneeling or not!"

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 12:32:29 pm »
A good idea, but a terrible way of doing it. DarkDefender previously suggested using a half arrow which is less confusing. One could also put a little light on the button itself or indent the border, to sign which mode is on, similarly to how reserve TU buttons do it.

Offline Unknown Hero

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 01:16:25 am »
@ Solarius Scorch

But... why the red dot? That's not only ugly, it's against the entire philosophy of the UI. Plus, it's completely unnecessary. (But we could have a "pressed" alt graphics for this particular button if you insist.)

Additional display for different users (visual understanding of the interface), it's good to have different ways to show the same info in an UI, people are differents.

Red dot was easy for explanation, and easy to implement.

@ Hythlodaeus

DarkDefender previously suggested using a half arrow which is less confusing.

Can you post the link please.

A good idea, but a terrible way of doing it.

Thanks.

One could also put a little light on the button itself

Red dot.

When I make a suggestion, I try to use what is already in the game.

--> Yellow arrow above the selected soldier, already in game. Visual code preserved.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 01:28:00 am »
I would still like to see a Status graphics...https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=1551.0

Offline Unknown Hero

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 11:30:09 pm »
@ luke83

I would not "ressurect" your thread link, so I respond here.  :)

Good idea, these infos are missing in the game.

Perhaps slightly larger, better lisibility for the player, more space to design them.

Also, as a player, I should prefer to see information continuously (ex: above the unit sprite) for all units (so, no need to act to see the icons), and even unconscious units; but this can be intrusive if lot of info to display.

You can also display the icons (above the unit sprite), only when the player move the mouse cursor over unselected units; but this can also be intrusive for the selected unit if lot of info to display.

When an unit selected, display the icons, "in the top status bar" as you said, permanently (and the icons are temporary remplaced while the player move the mouse cursor over another unit (conscious or unconscious), seems to be the best option.
And, as the space on screen is "large enough", you can also display icons for unit's Rank and for unit's "Task" (Sniper, Scout, etc.) and/or skills.

Personally, I don't use the trick to put info in the field reserved for the soldier's name.
But this can remove the need for the player to "pollute" the field reserved for the soldier's name ("Jenny Robertson" --> "Jen Rob Sniper React62 Psi63 PSk44").

Would also be nice if the players can add their own icons.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 09:31:38 pm »
@ luke83

I would not "ressurect" your thread link, so I respond here.  :)

Good idea, these infos are missing in the game.

Perhaps slightly larger, better lisibility for the player, more space to design them.

Also, as a player, I should prefer to see information continuously (ex: above the unit sprite) for all units (so, no need to act to see the icons), and even unconscious units; but this can be intrusive if lot of info to display.

You can also display the icons (above the unit sprite), only when the player move the mouse cursor over unselected units; but this can also be intrusive for the selected unit if lot of info to display.

When an unit selected, display the icons, "in the top status bar" as you said, permanently (and the icons are temporary remplaced while the player move the mouse cursor over another unit (conscious or unconscious), seems to be the best option.
And, as the space on screen is "large enough", you can also display icons for unit's Rank and for unit's "Task" (Sniper, Scout, etc.) and/or skills.

Personally, I don't use the trick to put info in the field reserved for the soldier's name.
But this can remove the need for the player to "pollute" the field reserved for the soldier's name ("Jenny Robertson" --> "Jen Rob Sniper React62 Psi63 PSk44").

Would also be nice if the players can add their own icons.
great now we just need support from a coder and some agreed sizes for the icons :)

Offline CloseProximity

• Squaddie
  • Murphy was an Optimist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 07:27:11 pm »
Why not just change the help text to "Stand" if the soldier is kneeling and "Kneel" if he is standing?