aliens

Author Topic: Game crashes when I hit the Inventory button  (Read 6340 times)

Offline lorrdmatt

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Game crashes when I hit the Inventory button
« on: June 22, 2014, 12:02:21 am »
I'm running on Windows 7, 64 bit. I've got a few mods running (basically the top ten in the mods portal) and when I hit the "Inventory" button under the Equip Craft menu, the game crashes. Tried it a few times. Anybody had a similar problem or any idea of a fix?

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Game crashes when I hit the Inventory button
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 12:12:53 am »
Could you :
- activate mods one by one, and try to cause the crash for any new added mod ?
- give list of mods you did activate to make the crash happen ?

Offline lorrdmatt

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 12:17:50 am »
Yeah, I'm gonna through each mod and see if one specific mod is causing it. It is also crashing when I try and get into a battle.

Offline lorrdmatt

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 12:27:58 am »
Okay, just been through and tested a few mods individually. I restored all the options to default, and switched off all mods, then went through one by one and tested;

- Lukes Extra UFOs
- Mass Accelarator Weapons
- Raven Interceptor
- Soldier Diaries
- Armoured Vest
- Laser Rifle Recolour and Heavy Laser Balance

The game crashed every time, and even with all mods turned off. I'm going to try a fresh install of the game and try this again.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 01:02:24 am by lorrdmatt »

Offline lorrdmatt

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 01:02:36 am »
With a fresh install and after some experimentation, I think it's the Soldier Diary Commendation mod that's causing the problem. As it's the only mod I've got that requires you to change the dll files and the installation instructions a little unclear, I just want to make sure I've got this absolutely correct and it's not me causing the problem. To install that mod I am

- Backing up the openxcom exe file.
- Adding the Resources and Ruleset files to the relevant folders in my OpenXcom directory
- Extracting the dll's to C:/Program Files/OpenXcom (this is where the original dll files are)

I get prompted to replace or copy and rename the dll files when I extract, and I have been replacing them. Is that the problem?

Sorry if It's me causing the problem, I've never really played around with mods before.

Offline essohbe

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 01:14:39 am »
Just did this to me also. Crashes on inventory.

I just erased the Commendations mod and it still does it so it's not that one. Maybe the alien inventory one? IDK.

Railgun mods crash also because there's at least two of them allegedly clean and finished availble in the mod port but they're all named the same thing (duh). Tried to use the railguns by renaming everything "EM_Railgun" but doesn't work. The mass accelerator weapons are also named "RailGun" for some reason so I guess you can't have both.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 01:37:17 am by essohbe »

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 01:58:29 am »
First, for testing purposes, I think you don't have to start a game and enter battle
This should happen using the Training module : could you try it ?
If crash happens, this will make you save time for next steps

You mentionned you installed the commendations mod, and I know there have been some/many issues due to this one, but I cannot help you on this subject (I just don't use it myself)

Examples of crash that may be caused by a mod :
- a new sound is badly defined, i.e. the file related to this new sound does not exist or is not found :  this should cause a crash as soon as you use the weapon, not before
- a weapon sprite is badly defined, i.e. related file is not found : this should cause a crash when accessing inventory

But in your case, you don't meet any issue running mods individually, so... :o

Perhaps installation is bad (files at wrong place could cause a crash)

Could you try this
1) Remove OpenXcom directory
2) Check if you don't have any OpenXcom folder under "MyDocuments", otherwise remove it too
3) Reinstall it manually :
- UFO Enemy Unknown Or UFO Defense (Original, see recommendations about this) : let's say under D:\OPENXCOM\Data
      -> see attached screen shots for mandatory folders to be copied from vanilla game
- then OpenXcom under D:\OPENXCOM
      -> exe and dll will be copied under D:\OPENXCOM
      -> D:\OPENXCOM\User will be created => check it before running the game, and if not exists, just create it yourself
      -> D:\OPENXCOM\Data subfolders will be overwritten/completed
- then your mods except commendations (so do not replace any exe or dll)
      -> D:\OPENXCOM\Data subfolders will be overwritten/completed

PS : I am not really qualified to help you as I am a member as you, but often is it just a bad installation, so I try to help you and if possible, sometimes, save time for development team
In fact, I will redo same installation as you and tell you if I have a crash too
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 02:23:48 am by Aldorn »

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 02:41:16 am »
So I made a test

Fresh install, then installed following mods (see screen shots 1 & 2) :
- Lukes Extra UFOs
- Mass Accelarator Weapons
- Raven Interceptor
- Soldier Diaries --> not installed even not downloaded
- Armoured Vest
- Laser Rifle Recolour
- Heavy Laser Balance

Then :
- I removed the 4 unused .png copied directly under Data (see screen shot, I don't remember which mod they are coming from)
- I had to move Railgun.rul from Rulesets to Ruleset and remove obsolete Rulesets folder (I will contact modder about this Rulesets folder)

I activated the 6 mods, run New Battle, equipped craft with new weapons and soldiers with new armor, then got to battle : I am meeting no crash

« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 02:49:27 am by Aldorn »

Offline lorrdmatt

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 12:39:50 pm »
Yeah, I did the same thing and had no problems. It would appear the commendations mod is the problem. I have posted in the mod thread to let the creator know.

Offline essohbe

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 07:32:16 pm »
I uninstalled it and did it all over again. It would crash when I tried to launch openXcom now so I had to re-download the installer and now it works, something corrupted in the installer maybe? Weird. But I am abandoning the commendations mod. Too many issues right now. Everything else seems to be fine.

Offline wsmithjr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 07:58:44 pm »
I uninstalled it and did it all over again. It would crash when I tried to launch openXcom now so I had to re-download the installer and now it works, something corrupted in the installer maybe? Weird. But I am abandoning the commendations mod. Too many issues right now. Everything else seems to be fine.

I'm using the 6/15 version of the Commendations mod with no problems except the problem of the game crashing when exiting the individual battle mode (not as part of the campaign).  The 6/21 version attempted to fix that problem but introduced the new problem you described.  It's a great mod and I haven't had any problems with the 6/15 version other than indicated previously.  Even used all kinds of other mods adding new aliens, ships, etc. with no problems (as long as you avoid the individual battle mode).

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 08:04:30 pm »
Are you using the nightly, or the 1.0 milestone? I am in the process of releasing a version of my mod that works with the 1.0 milestone, because at the moment it does not (I don't think).