Author Topic: [WIP MISSION/MAPS] - Alien Raid  (Read 15562 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP MISSION/MAPS] - Alien Raid
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2014, 04:29:57 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. Here are a few answers to your comments. :)

I love the map it is very intricate. Im not sure I like that this occurs with a high probability in month 2.

When the mod is finished the probability of this mission type occurring will be the same as the other random missions (Research, Harvest, etc.). It currently has a high probability merely for testing.

Chances are it will occur in an area of the world that you don't have coverage over and.. Iv played this mission and It would be very very tedious and a tinsy bit frustrating without flying suites. (I lost many soldiers, they all had mass accelerator sniper rifles and I had two enforcers. They also all had flying suites. I would suggest moving this back from month two. I would say move it way back to when battle ships start appearing. And for failing the mission 500 points is very oppressive. Its like saying I started my base in africa, the mission appeared in S. America so i missed it by default, and I am penalized 500 points. Or I got to the mission and was horribly murdered by aliens that are a way higher CR than me and I am penalized again. I would say leave this for end game missions when we have full flying suites and are getting bored cleaning out supply ships and alien bases.

One of the reasons of the high penalty is precisely to force the player to expand its radar cover to other continents. Also, once you get the Firestorm researched and deployed you'll get a chance of shooting down the UFO, although the reaction window will be very short. If you shoot the UFO then you can simply ignore the ground assault afterwards.

500 points for not responding or failing to detect the mission may seem too much but by comparison you lose 1000 points by failing to respond to a terror site.

Ideally, my first idea would be to always get a warning when this mission is taking place, like a Terror Site, but it is currently impossible to mod this. And I agree with pushing this mission to appear to a later date but it is impossible at the moment to change/mod the month/frequency of the different mission types.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 04:38:14 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 03:38:31 pm »
Hey Hobbes, you are genious !

I will make some adaptations to make it compliant with my own mod, but the stuff you provide here is just amazing

I like this facility so much... ::)

I will make this mission very very rare, as this should be a real challenge to complete it whithout have to flee... :)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 06:03:23 pm »
Hey Hobbes, you are genious !

I will make some adaptations to make it compliant with my own mod, but the stuff you provide here is just amazing

I like this facility so much... ::)

I will make this mission very very rare, as this should be a real challenge to complete it whithout have to flee... :)

This mission is now a part of the Terrain/Mission Pack so you may want to use those files instead.  :)

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2014, 07:57:13 pm »
I believed Terrain/Mission pack was for modders to make new maps...

Thanks for the info and for the link
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 08:00:35 pm by Aldorn »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 09:54:20 pm »
Sorry for going slightly off-topic, but I have a question regarding davide's screenshot:

I noticed it contains non-standard terrains/mapblocks. This wouldn't work for me, since I have to rename any new mapblock to some name used by the original game, work on it and then rename it back, because otherwise the program wouldn't see the file. I thought I had the newest version floating around, but apparently not; so davide (or anyone else), could you please point me to this version of yours?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2014, 10:39:50 pm »
Sorry for going slightly off-topic, but I have a question regarding davide's screenshot:

I noticed it contains non-standard terrains/mapblocks. This wouldn't work for me, since I have to rename any new mapblock to some name used by the original game, work on it and then rename it back, because otherwise the program wouldn't see the file. I thought I had the newest version floating around, but apparently not; so davide (or anyone else), could you please point me to this version of yours?

The version is here. You can't use the Paths option on MapView? Have you tried to manually edit the MapEdit.dat and Images.dat files?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2014, 10:44:03 pm »
The version is here. You can't use the Paths option on MapView? Have you tried to manually edit the MapEdit.dat and Images.dat files?

Just the MapEdit.dat to set the right tilesets for the map.

Actually, looks likie I need to explory this further. Thanks. :)

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2014, 11:51:43 pm »
I update setting files directly with notepad++

You need to add custom PCKs to Settings/images.dat too

Code: [Select]

FRNL83:${ufoImg}

U_DISEC3:${ufoImg}
UFOL83:${ufoImg}
U_DISEC1:${ufoImg}
U_OPER1:${ufoImg}
U_EXT01:${ufoImg}
U_WALL01:${ufoImg}

AREA51P:${ufoImg}
AREA51X:${ufoImg}
AREA51Y:${ufoImg}
AREA51Z:${ufoImg}

DAWNFRNITURE:${ufoImg}
DAWNROADS:${ufoImg}
DAWNURBAN:${ufoImg}
DAWNURBITS:${ufoImg}
MADDECOR:${ufoImg}
PORTROADS:${ufoImg}
PORTURBITS:${ufoImg}

To avoid crash I copied files into openxcom/data folders and some (slum, railyard)  into TFTD installation folder that are memorized in path.pth

Code: [Select]
${tftd}:e:\varie\__X-Com 2 Terror From The Deep
${ufo}:e:\old_GIT1\OpenXcom\bin\data
mapdata:e:\old_GIT1\OpenXCOM.Tools\MapView\bin\Debug\settings\MapEdit.dat
images:e:\old_GIT1\OpenXCOM.Tools\MapView\bin\Debug\settings\Images.dat

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 12:01:22 am by davide »

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2014, 12:08:15 am »
scuse me Hobbes,
do you see the Luke's problema about pyramid tileset ?

I apologize but you are a guru about that :-[

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 01:25:36 am »
scuse me Hobbes,
do you see the Luke's problema about pyramid tileset ?

I apologize but you are a guru about that :-[

I have been keeping an eye on that thread but I can't add any suggestion at this point since I never messed around with those maps.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 03:40:59 am »
I update setting files directly with notepad++

Thanks, I didn't know it was configurable. :)