aliens

Author Topic: Auto-calc battles?  (Read 16086 times)

Offline Nightwolf

• Captain
    • View Profile
Auto-calc battles?
« on: June 17, 2014, 01:14:08 pm »
Not quite sure if there is an option to that, or just can be suggested. Is there any way to do some auto-quick-battle. So you dont need to mess with battles? Sometimes im not in a mood to battle, so a quick battle might be very useful.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 04:09:05 pm by Nightwolf »

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Battle?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 01:37:28 pm »
get flying suits
and throw this around
Code: [Select]
items:
  - type: STR_HIGH_EXPLOSIVE
    power: 1500
    blastRadius: 500
destroys everything in a map throwing 1-2 per level neatly levels everything (if you increase the explosion height game option is could be difficult to find a save place)

Offline Nightwolf

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 01:42:10 pm »
Thanks, but its not like im asking for. Just a fast battle simulation :)

Offline Jstank

• Colonel
  • 100% Un-Professional XCOM Lets Player
    • View Profile
    • FINAL MOD PACK LP OUT SOON NOW RECRUITING! SIGN UP TODAY!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 02:20:48 pm »
Have you tried the New Battle Option on the first screen. It is quite enjoyable for a quick xcom fix.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 02:37:02 pm »
he means auto-resolving battles, and yes, it IS possible. but HOW should it be done? just give XCom soldiers AI and let the computer have at it? :P
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 02:58:54 pm by Warboy1982 »

Offline Nightwolf

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 03:35:58 pm »
Yeah, something like Heroes Of Might and Magic. You had an option to skip battles with: Quick Battles (no auto-battle where IA controls your unit but also could be great too)

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 03:54:02 pm »
he means auto-resolving battles, and yes, it IS possible. but HOW should it be done? just give XCom soldiers AI and let the computer have at it? :P

Option 1 : Assign values to items (perhaps simply cost), give soldier/ranks values, give alien/race/rank values and throw in some modifiers in case numbers still don't line up. Display a "12% to win 0 casualties, 100% to win with at least 5 casualties" that can be decided with some sort of distribution or some other math.

Option 2 : like Xenonauts, allow to airstrike the area to get money but no loot/experience. Might be the easiest way to do this ;p add a button to the UI, a money value in the rulesets to UFOs, clicking erases the UFO and adds money to the bank.

Offline Nightwolf

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 04:19:48 pm »
Yeah, something like Heroes Of Might and Magic. You had an option to skip battles with: Quick Battles (no auto-battle where IA controls your unit but also could be great too)

An easy way to simulate the combat: How many enemies and their level equipment, vs how many Xcoms and their equipment and stats. Then a random number to know who will fire first and if will die his objetive. Do after either aliens or xcom wins.

Dunno if you can do the battle controlling the xcom, but on background, in a faster way...

So, could be great if you work where you can give Xcom an IA control, and let the player to control Alien. So at the end, you can give a Player Vs Player in same machine!!

Also, i like what Shoes said. Just Nuke the ufo!!! :D But for that you need to develop some kind of Nuclear Weapon... (why to use an interceptor if you can hit them hard XD)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 04:23:34 pm by Nightwolf »

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
Re: Auto-calc battles?
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 06:03:43 pm »
If you implement it in Battlescape you could watch the AI fight each other... Following on, you could implement a Geoscape AI and turn the whole game into a movie
 :)

Offline Nightwolf

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 06:30:25 pm »
If you implement it in Battlescape you could watch the AI fight each other... Following on, you could implement a Geoscape AI and turn the whole game into a movie
 :)

Yeah, and play if you prefer just battles, or only Geoscape :-)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 07:05:31 pm »
Option 2 : like Xenonauts, allow to airstrike the area to get money but no loot/experience. Might be the easiest way to do this ;p

No, in Xenonauts it actually costs $20,000 to bomb the UFO. (Unless they changed it recently; I stopped playing Xenonauts when I discovered OpenXCom). The only gain you get is the points (in OpenXCom, if you shoot down the UFO but don't do the mission, you only get half the points, or something like that.)

And I would actually like to have this option. BTW a nuke would be a total overkill. ;)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 08:19:53 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 08:14:10 pm »
No, in Xenonauts it actually costs $20,000 to bomb the UFO. (Unless they changed it recently; I stopped playing Xenonauts when I discovered OpenXCom). The only gain you get is the points (in OpenXCom, if you shoot down the UFO but don't do the mission, you only get half the points, or something like that.)

And I would actually like to have this option. BTW a nuke would be a total overkill. ;)

It's been changed. I think small scouts are 10k, scouts are 15k, medium 25k or something. It's roughly half of the money you would make if you actually fought the fight.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 08:21:16 pm »
It's been changed. I think small scouts are 10k, scouts are 15k, medium 25k or something. It's roughly half of the money you would make if you actually fought the fight.

Ah, fair enough.

Back to the OP, I don't really think we need such a feature. Sure, I'd also be tempted to use it, but since ground combat is the main feature of the game, this option carries the risk of making OpenXCom unbalanced in terms of entertainment value.

Offline MKSheppard

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 08:18:32 am »
I'd actually use autocombat a decent amount.

This was a major feature of XCOMUTIL later on, allowing automatic combat resolution.

There are times when you just don't feel like doing "one more" battle, particularly if it's a milk run where you know you'll triumph over the aliens (cleaning up a small scout with flying armor, etc); so autocombat could be good for bulking up the stats of your fresh rookie class to replenish your veteran ranks without having to fight 25 more battles again.

niculinux

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 10:33:29 am »
Jagegd Allince 2 (of which I'm an eager fan laso) impemented such feature, but I'm unsure on havin it in openxcom...since these ended 90% times in a playes slaughter  :o