aliens

Author Topic: TFTD and Depth  (Read 5019 times)

Offline shinr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
TFTD and Depth
« on: June 17, 2014, 10:09:03 am »
For the long time I though that the depth level modified the darkness level in Battlescape, for example the deep water missions are automatically night missions, but after paying more attention while playing and reading Ufopaedia, it seems that the depth levels are mostly there to determine which one of the three underwater palette sets will be used, with no effect on darkness.

Of course, I could be wrong and had a streak of missions where this never came up, but in case the depth levels are purely cosmetical (outside of the occasional downed USO being too deep to recover in Geoscape), I suggest an option that allows Depth to modify darkness:

Shallow: No changes;
Medium: No changes during day, Dawn/Dusk missions always consider Night to be closer, leading to Night Missions;
Deep: Always Night Missions.

OR

Take the New Battle's Darkness Slider which has 16 Levels, and let the Depth Levels modify them:

Shallow Waters: Changes nothing;
Medium Waters: Add 4 Levels towards darkness OR Prohibits Darkness Levels lower than 4;
Deep Waters: Add 8 Levels towards darkness OR Prohibits Darkness Levels lower than 8.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: TFTD and Depth
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 04:16:47 pm »
This is news to me, I've always made sure to shoot UFOs in shallow waters when I could.

I'm afraid the intermediate darkness levels would be even more dangerous than "night-time", because the player wouldn't notice a difference of 1 or 2 tiles, while it makes a big difference to the alien.

Offline darkestaxe

• Colonel
  • Emissary of the Brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 08:53:46 am »
This is news to me, I've always made sure to shoot UFOs in shallow waters when I could.

I'm afraid the intermediate darkness levels would be even more dangerous than "night-time", because the player wouldn't notice a difference of 1 or 2 tiles, while it makes a big difference to the alien.
Aliens ignore darkness, hence why night missions are so dangerous. I'm not really sure what you mean.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 04:58:04 pm »
I mean; the player could believe he has full visibility, when it's actually reduced by 1 or 2 tiles. But 1 tile makes a big difference, it means your soldiers on overwatch with lightning reflexes will still be shot without any chance to retaliate.

Offline shinr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 06:37:53 pm »
Actually, the UFOpaedia says that your soldiers have a vision range of 20 tiles during the day and 9 tiles during the night, and no variables in-between for dusk and dawn, choosing between 20 or 9 depending on far away the night is.

So your soldiers always have full vision during the day and impaired vision during the night with no other variations.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 06:40:11 pm by shinr »

Offline Mackus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 08:52:11 pm »
What else Depth has to affect other that lighting, IMHO? Throwing Distance - the only thing more ridiculous in TFTD than its Aliens (still loved the game).
The deeper, the smaller maximum thrown distance (perhaps also increases TU cost of throwing), even at compete shallow no more than half of that onland, and in total depths nothing more than throwing on tiles directly surrounding aquanaut. Sonic Grenades could be complete exception to this rule, because they...? "Oscillate water molecules?" or other technobabble?
Perhaps decrease damage from Sonic Weapons in shallow waters/onland (sound travels better through water), while increase damage from speargun weapons (less friction). That would also make early terror missions and base defense less onesided (really? no lasers xcom?)

Offline shinr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 09:58:50 pm »
About the Underwater Throwing:

My own idea is to disable underwater throwing (or limit it to 2 tiles max) for X-COM and make us rely on grenade throwers, while Aliens throw normally due to their cthulhu-tech.

Speaking of grenade launchers, is there is a mod that makes the underslung grenade launchers possible?

« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 10:01:25 pm by shinr »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 10:13:57 pm »
About the Underwater Throwing:

My own idea is to disable underwater throwing (or limit it to 2 tiles max) for X-COM and make us rely on grenade throwers, while Aliens throw normally due to their cthulhu-tech.

But the point of the game isa to steal all cthulhu-tech! :)

Speaking of grenade launchers, is there is a mod that makes the underslung grenade launchers possible?

Sadly, no. Not possible with this engine to have two different weapons as one item.