Author Topic: (l)ubuntu compile conniptions and a (sad) wine  (Read 7192 times)

Offline madpraxis

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
(l)ubuntu compile conniptions and a (sad) wine
« on: June 16, 2014, 07:24:47 am »
So, neophyte here in the ways of ubuntu, unix, whatnot. Figured I'd bring my problems to you guys since its about this, not ubuntu in general that I'm apparently failing at. (Plus the couple times I've gone for help to ubuntu forums have resulted in either no help or being treated like an idiot  :-[ )
Figured I'd give compiling this beast a try, so I just went through the options to compile on unix on the wiki.

Have apt-get install'd all the required packages (thanks whomever put the actual package names on there!) as a preface to all this.

Make: Get a whole bucket load of 'not a class template' and 'not a template type' errors before it spits me back to command line. Boo...

Autotools: autogen goes (apparently) fine. ./configure doesn't. Spits out
Code: [Select]
configure: error: Pakcage requirements (yaml-cpp >= 0.50) were not met:
Requested 'yaml-cpp >= 0.5.0' but version of Yaml-cpp is 0.3.0

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables YAML_CFLAGS and YAML_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.
I'm honest enough to admit that I have no idea what in the world I should do at this point, since following the 'sudo apt-get install <packages>' and then the directions at the bottom of the wiki pages about exhausts my knowledge :D

Any more information anybody needs to figure out what I did wrong, just shout out and I'll get on it, because heck if I know what anyone would need to figure this out.

WINE: Also, had a brilliant idea. Figured 'Hell, I'll try WINE!'. So I did. And setup ran nice. And finished nice. And then spits out a an error after the 'Loading OpenXcom 1.0...' bit...
ERROR: C:\Program Files\OpenXcom\data\UFOINTRO\PICT7.LBM:error reading IFF chunkWhich, again means not much all to me. I tried deleting and then manually copying said file back, but no joy with that. So, you know, somebody that enjoys figuring this stuff out help me?

Honestly, I'd much rather just boot into my xp partition and play over there where its apparently hella easier to set up. Except my hard drive is eating itself from the inside out and I haven't gotten around to rebuilding (yet again (mainly because I forgot where the instructions where I followed last time are online...)) that partition so windows will actually boot again...

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: (l)ubuntu compile conniptions and a (sad) wine
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 09:05:44 am »
You not mentioned what release Ubuntu you have. yaml-cpp 0.5.1 available since 14.04. You can, though, add one of ppa's that provide 0.5.1 for older versions, https://launchpad.net/~knapsu/+archive/openxcom , for example.

Offline madpraxis

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 12:19:29 am »
Lubuntu 13.10!
Also, added that ppa (I can do that! Hoora!) and tried updating...
The following pakages have unmet dependencies:
libyaml-cpp-dev : Depends: libyaml-cpp0.5 (= 0.5.1-1~saucy1) but 0.5.1-1 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
So, we shall see if I can sort this new problem out, which I've been trying to for a bit now, and get my poor packages sorted out. Maybe I'll try to figure out how to do a manual install or something!

And ya, lubuntu. Not ubuntu. Because I found that the newer versions of ubuntu use more gpu power then my 14 or so year old notebook can muster just for the desktop. Boo :(

Someone wish me luck!
Edit 1:
COMPILED!
Not sure what magic I used to get this working, so oh well. Count it as 'Good'.
But now I encounter a problem...  Enter directory, smash enter on 'openxcom' file... starts up and spits out this:
C:\GAMES\OPENXCOMopenxcom
ERRORS: Failed to open direcdtory: SoldierName/
Make sure you have installed OpenXcom correctly.
Check the wiki documentation for more details.
But... but... I did install it correctly. Made sure my ufo1 directory was patched up to 1.2, then 1.4. Then selected all the directories specified in wiki under install and copied them over into ~/OpenXcom/bin/data.... SoldierName is there... Full of its files...

What did I do wrong now :(

Edit 2:
Gah. Computers. Hate you. Figured I'd try creating a data folder in ~/.local/share/openxcom/ and copying everything from /bin/data to there. Which got farther. But then I encountered the same error I got in wine about the IFF chunk error. I'm going to guess that my data is somehow corrupted, which doesn't surprise me that much since this is the install from the ORIGINAL FLOPPIES I bought when the game came out which I've dragged around from hard drive to hard drive, then stashed in online storage when that became a thing...
Anyone got a good PICT7.LBM file they would mind sending me? :D
Oddly enough, I don't recall I've had any problems running it through dosbox, the original that is...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 01:49:57 am by madpraxis »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 06:24:37 am »
Here you go

Offline Rogue Yun

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 10:42:26 am »
C:\GAMES\OPENXCOMopenxcom
ERRORS: Failed to open direcdtory: SoldierName/
Make sure you have installed OpenXcom correctly.
Check the wiki documentation for more details.
But... but... I did install it correctly. Made sure my ufo1 directory was patched up to 1.2, then 1.4. Then selected all the directories specified in wiki under install and copied them over into ~/OpenXcom/bin/data.... SoldierName is there... Full of its files...

I seem to be getting this error as well. So you aren't  alone.

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 02:03:43 pm »
Check ~/.openxcom/openxcom.log, there should be some info about where it searches. As my installation game searches in these dirs:

[14-06-2014 18:12:22]   [INFO]  Data folder is:
[14-06-2014 18:12:22]   [INFO]  Data search is:
[14-06-2014 18:12:22]   [INFO]  - /home/winterheart/.local/share/openxcom/data/
[14-06-2014 18:12:22]   [INFO]  - /usr/share/openxcom/data/
[14-06-2014 18:12:22]   [INFO]  - /usr/local/share/openxcom/data/
[14-06-2014 18:12:22]   [INFO]  - /usr/local/share/openxcom/data/
[14-06-2014 18:12:22]   [INFO]  - /usr/share/games/openxcomhttps://data/
[14-06-2014 18:12:22]   [INFO]  - ./data/

Offline Rogue Yun

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 04:33:16 pm »
Just so you know. Copying all the bin data from ~/OpenXcom/bin/data and putting it into my ~/.local/share/openxcom/data fixed the problem. Awesome! Time to give it  a whirl!

Offline madpraxis

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 08:31:58 am »
Yup, the wiki apparently lies for us in ubuntu about where to put files since putting them in the OpenXcom/~ directories is fail, but ~/.local/~ is win. Go figure.

Also, thanks for that file. Game now works perfectly! My file was not even 1/10th of the size, so I lost part of it somewhere during some move obviously!

niculinux

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 10:21:01 am »
Madpraxis, try my Build of the 1.0 verison on xubuntu 12.04!!!  ;D

It's hosted on my google drive acocunt, plase contact me if it's not downlaoding! Has a size of 85 MB circa.

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 04:20:40 pm »
Hi.
Krzysztof Knapik finally updated his ppa repository to 1.0, you may check it out: https://launchpad.net/~knapsu/+archive/openxcom

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 04:41:06 am »
Yup, the wiki apparently lies for us in ubuntu about where to put files since putting them in the OpenXcom/~ directories is fail, but ~/.local/~ is win. Go figure.

Also, thanks for that file. Game now works perfectly! My file was not even 1/10th of the size, so I lost part of it somewhere during some move obviously!
It might be because you were using an old 0.9 package, or because the distro maintainer customized the paths themselves (every distro has its own rules...). Either way, not much I have control over, but feel free to add that info to the wiki if it's important.