Author Topic: Windows Tablet Edition  (Read 19505 times)

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Windows Tablet Edition
« on: June 14, 2014, 10:08:06 pm »
i guess this isn't technically a port, since it's just a windows 32 bit version of 1.0 with some small code altered to allow better touchscreen support. but here it is.

OpenXcom 1.0 - Tablet Edition

please note: this is a manual install version, you will still need to download and install the Universal Patch yourself

feel free to post any touchscreen-specific feedback or usability issues here, and i'll try to address them. please don't request extra features like multitouch gestures or anything too grand. proper touch support is slated for development after updating to sdl2.0 and at that point this port will become redundant and will be discontinued.

changes can be seen in This Branch
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 01:48:04 pm by Warboy1982 »

Offline Greg956

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Tablet Edition
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 12:57:26 am »
I think You need to post it here, cause Tablets on Windows 8 is actual theme now. I have Acer w511, and I play OpenXcom only on my tablet)
But videocard on it makes it impossible to use SABR-Xcomified and simple SABR(((
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 01:01:26 am by Greg956 »

Offline Greg956

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 01:04:58 am »
One question, can I install every night build, or these files will re-write Tablet edition?

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 01:34:11 am »
Nightly builds will overwrite it, sorry. :( We'll look into adding this as an option in the future.

Offline Greg956

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 02:03:09 am »
Okay, thanks for the reply, I hope you know how to add it by default!)

Offline StarMox

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 05:24:10 pm »
SupSuper and Warboy. Congrats and THX on openxcom. Your "reimagination" of UFO defense ROCKS!!!

As per windows tablet version, WOW. Extra merit overachieved. One suggestion though (probably not trivial to implement...) Battlescape scrolling on touch would probably work better with bottom scroll-trigger line moved above action icons - just below actual "world" window.

byebye
Mox

p.s. openxcom on Asus T100 really is something else... ;)

Offline Sean Mirrsen

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 05:50:27 pm »
Okay, so, reporting test results.

There is a definite improvement with the provided fixed version. However, it is still not the same as it was pre-breaking or when using the mouse.

Before, the drag-action would make the cursor move with a speed dependent on the touch input relative to the center of the screen. (i.e. as if it were a virtual joystick centered on the screen)
Now, the drag-action makes the cursor move with a speed dependent on the touch input relative to the original point of the touch input. (i.e. a virtual joystick centered on the initial touch point)
When using the mouse (or touch-drag in older versions), the cursor stays glued to the position of the mouse pointer, only moving when the mouse is moved.

In both touch-input situations, the cursor will rapidly move towards the edge of the screen, but the scrolling action will continue as if the cursor was still moving away. Turning off edge-scroll does nothing to prevent this behavior.

System used is Windows 8 x64, on a Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro (ATIV Tab 7), running latest Wacom Dual Touch (ISD 720.4) drivers.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 05:53:48 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 05:47:34 am »
i'll get on to this in the morning.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 03:10:55 pm by Warboy1982 »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 03:11:40 pm »
it's morning now, download in opening post has been updated, please let me know if this sorts it out, as i don't have a tablet to test this myself.

apologies for the double post, but i'm bumping this so you know it's updated.

Offline Sean Mirrsen

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 06:19:39 pm »
Reporting updated version test:

Everything is absolutely perfect. ^_^

Battlescape and geoscape drag-scroll work identically regardless of whether it's by mouse, stylus, or touch. No abnormalities detected so far.

Windows 8 x64, Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro (ATIV Tab 7).

Offline Sean Mirrsen

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 12:32:13 am »
After reading the description of the Android port, I feel the need to also mention that, through some manner of witchery, pinch-zoom works on both geoscape (zoom) and battlescape (z-levels) in this version.

On that note, is it possible to somehow cross-port the onscreen keyboard from the Android version, as an option for the Windows version?

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 12:56:57 am »
i  haven't a clue how that would work.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 03:45:07 am »
That would probably need SDL2 too so it can call the system's built-in keyboard support like it does for Android.

Offline Sean Mirrsen

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 10:29:14 am »
Hm, doesn't the Android version use an ingame sort of keyboard instead of the system keyboard? I think I saw a screenshot somewhere.

Offline sfalexrog

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 10:59:27 am »
Hm, doesn't the Android version use an ingame sort of keyboard instead of the system keyboard? I think I saw a screenshot somewhere.

It was either some really old build (there were some attempts to port the game to Android before SDL2) or the keyboard just fit in really nicely. Current Android version just tells the system (through SDL2) that it wants symbolic input, and the keyboard just pops up. I haven't tried compiling SDL2 version for Windows, but I expect it to have the same behavior.