aliens

Author Topic: Soldiers walking down from roof to the ground - no health penalty  (Read 5539 times)

Emre

It's nice they choose the shortest way but walking down from roof of the 2nd floor to the ground without any health lose is kinda "funny".

Offline Jstank

• Colonel
  • 100% Un-Professional XCOM Lets Player
    • View Profile
    • FINAL MOD PACK LP OUT SOON NOW RECRUITING! SIGN UP TODAY!
Re: Soldiers walking down from roof to the ground - no health penalty
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 11:11:42 am »
Also with the advent of height explosion = 3 I have found that aliens hiding on level 3 and are now level 1 alive and kicking when I blow up a building.

Offline CoolKid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 01:21:12 pm »
It's nice they choose the shortest way but walking down from roof of the 2nd floor to the ground without any health lose is kinda "funny".

The maximum height are 4 blocks so maximum height you can jump down are 3 blocks and that's about 20 feet. I think it's okay if you jump from that height  especially soldier who ready to die defending the earth. ;)

Also with the advent of height explosion = 3 I have found that aliens hiding on level 3 and are now level 1 alive and kicking when I blow up a building.

I think that alien's just survive from that explosion as simple as that. Maybe that because explosion damage reduce from floor to floor if the building are still okay (no hole on the floor).

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 02:02:56 pm »
This reminds me I HAVE to try something in larger UFOs assault : Locate an alien leader with movement detector while being one floor below, and shoot the ceiling with heavy plasma to make him fall one floor, directly at stun-rod's length.

Offline gunquinn

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 04:06:17 am »
This reminds me I HAVE to try something in larger UFOs assault : Locate an alien leader with movement detector while being one floor below, and shoot the ceiling with heavy plasma to make him fall one floor, directly at stun-rod's length.
That sir, is genius.

Offline KORfan

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • KORfan's photos
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 06:12:11 pm »
As I recall they addressed falling injuries in Apocalypse.  If you had low strength, jumping down multiple levels could hurt you.  I don't remember if your gear weight came into play or not.

Offline aceshigh

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 08:11:43 pm »
The maximum height are 4 blocks so maximum height you can jump down are 3 blocks and that's about 20 feet. I think it's okay if you jump from that height  especially soldier who ready to die defending the earth. ;)

I think that alien's just survive from that explosion as simple as that. Maybe that because explosion damage reduce from floor to floor if the building are still okay (no hole on the floor).

the question is not "being ready to die for defending Earth". The question is: the consequences of being ready to die for defending Earth. It´s all fine is a soldier feels the need to jump from a 4 story building to defend Earth. But he should get severe injuries (actually, he should break his legs and be immobilized, thus stay stationary, only being able to rotate. Falling from the 3rd floor should cause injuries but not immobilize the soldier... just make him have half the TUs, but only for walking (don´t know if that would be possible... make walking spend double TUs, but firing remaining the same amount of TUs...)

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 10:59:04 pm »
As I recall they addressed falling injuries in Apocalypse.  If you had low strength, jumping down multiple levels could hurt you.  I don't remember if your gear weight came into play or not.

Apoc also has the ability to jump on other units so you can goomba-stomp an unsuspecting alien (although unsure if you can do this in turn-based, but I would think so)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 11:43:13 pm »
I am very much in favour of XComApoc-like physics in OpenXCom (though it'll probably never happen). However, without the falling mechanics I'm not sure this injury stuff would be satisfying... I'm just not sure, since it'd be problematic to code in. What would be a good formula for falling damage?

Offline KORfan

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • KORfan's photos
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 09:53:03 pm »
Apoc also has the ability to jump on other units so you can goomba-stomp an unsuspecting alien (although unsure if you can do this in turn-based, but I would think so)
Yes, it worked in turn mode.  If you land on a friendly they are knocked out.  I never thought to drop on an opponent, though.