Author Topic: old Xcom1 dos music  (Read 43791 times)

Offline hellblade

• Captain
    • View Profile
old Xcom1 dos music
« on: May 11, 2011, 06:19:07 pm »
Since I asked, and searched all over, for original X-com1 dos music ... and could not find any

I decided to take Volutar's advice and record them myself.

Took me a week of spare time to finish, raise the volume, balance etc. etc. but finally I have it.

So I was thinking I might as well contribute them to here ... unless you guys were preparing to extract them from the game.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: old Xcom1 dos music
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 12:19:16 pm »
The reason there's no "original X-Com1 DOS music" out there is:
1. It's an old music format not playable in modern media players.
2. It's virtually the same as the MIDIs in the Windows version.
3. OpenXcom already plays the original DOS music if it's available anyways.

The only reason it sounds different is because DOSBox emulates the old-timey SoundBlaster sound, so the only way to get that effect into OpenXcom is to emulate the old sound or, like you did, record the music from DOSBox and use that.

We probably can't include it in OpenXcom directly but feel free to post it here for other players to enjoy.

Offline hsbckb

• Colonel
  • Gill Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 01:26:10 pm »
Someone did this job before. Please take a look :

https://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5536

Offline hellblade

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 05:51:58 pm »
Thanks for the research and help.  Yes I've been emailing him.  He stopped on his third song and posted it up for me to finish the rest.

What I can't figure out is why I can't load up the geoscape2,3,4 songs from my x-com game.  I have the cd version of "Unknown Terror" which is xcom1&2 on the same cd.  I tried letting geoscape run.  All i get is the same song repeating.  And no matter how many times i exit from a mission, the geoscape music is still the same one.  What in hell is going on???

Was also wondering if the dos version had 2 battlescape music.  I only ask cause I only remember one but I see 2 tracks on the PSX music.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 07:19:53 pm by hellblade »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 02:32:08 pm »
The X-Com PC version only has 2 Geoscape tracks, so it takes a lot of effort to hear the other track (and the song only changes on Geoscape start). It only has 1 Battlescape track too.

If you were clever enough you could edit the GM.CAT to get other tracks to play by default. :P

Offline hellblade

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 09:05:58 pm »
Thanks Subs, though my programming begins at 00 and ends at FF so I doubt my IQ will help me in this situation (at least I hope my IQ is irrelevent, lol)

I'm down to 3 last songs.  The Intro and 2 Endings.  The movie always finishes before the music and so I can't get the whole song!

Can anyone suggest how I can get this done?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 09:12:01 pm by hellblade »

Offline Zharik1999

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 06:53:00 pm »
Gentelmen, here it goes! :D
All original DOS music from X-com recorded with Sound Blaster AWE32 sound card! Together with strife67's patch (it returns original sounds from 1.0 and 1.2 DOS versions) it will give you the true feel of old X-com.
All regards go to kodan50 (for recording and sharing the music) and strife67 (for original sounds).

Links:
music - https://freakshare.com/files/ndshka2p/music.rar.html (Sorry, it's music from DOS version 1.4 and CE, but recorded throught old sound card)
sounds - https://www.strategycore.co.uk/files/index.php?dlid=796
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 09:12:35 pm by Zharik1999 »

Volutar

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 07:23:53 pm »
This is not original DOS music from 1.0/1.2 version, this is just a midi recorded on particular audio card.
This topic was about old ADLIB music.

Offline Zharik1999

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 07:44:21 pm »
Sorry, I have checked this out more carefully and I have to agree with you :( Are you interested in original music from old DOS versions? Right now I'm trying to record it using dosbox for emulating old sound blaster. I can post here a sample in a few minutes, can you check it?

Offline Zharik1999

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 08:25:34 pm »
As I sad, here is the sample - https://freakshare.com/files/w7jolast/Sample.mp3.html. Check it out. :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 08:57:20 pm by Zharik1999 »

Volutar

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 09:37:00 pm »
There are already couple of tunes from here. Though they aren't properly ended to be seamlessly "looped".
And yes, I'm pretty sure there should be at least 2 packs of soundtracks, from DOS version (adlib) and PS1.

Nice example.

Offline Zharik1999

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 09:49:59 pm »
So, Volutar, what you say? Should I continue recording it?

Edit: PS1 music can be downloaded from here - https://www.xcomufo.com/x1music.html
And enother sample - https://freakshare.com/files/9s9n0one/Sample2.mp3.html (music when you lose)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 10:01:41 pm by Zharik1999 »

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 01:14:15 am »
or SupSuper could add an AdLib emulator to openxcom :p this one apparently is used by dosbox: https://pastebin.com/SQF8ua8s
Just kidding, probably better recording it. But I don't think you don't actually need to play the game in dosbox and record it, there must be easier ways to just get it. Isn't it possible to play the tunes in winamp with the adplug plugin? Just guessing.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 01:17:26 am by Daiky »

Offline Zharik1999

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 08:05:39 am »
Yeah, Daiky, I will be happy if there is an easier way. But exept one question(how to extract .cat files? Advanced Disk Catalog does not work) the main question is not in playing these files in winamp with plugin, but in making OpenXcom playing these files throught winamp with plugin during the game. So, I think I will continue recording original music and then you will see how bad or maybe good it will be.

Volutar

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 08:19:42 am »
I'm working on universal cat/uncater right now. Though not sure what kind of files be extracted, and how to play them :)