Author Topic: [RESEARCH/PROGRESSION] Plasma Needs Elerium-115  (Read 9094 times)

Offline TurkishSwede

• Captain
  • Thou art God!
    • View Profile
[RESEARCH/PROGRESSION] Plasma Needs Elerium-115
« on: May 24, 2014, 12:40:44 am »
This is a very simple, tiny mod that was inspired by everyone who ever thought or said anything about making plasma weapons tech take longer to obtain. I don't like weapon self destruction, but I also think it's ridiculous to be able to research heavy plasma as soon as you get one. Of course this can be used with the self destruction option, but it was made for those who don't like it.

This mod makes alien plasma weapons impossible to research without first-hand knowledge of their main functional component, Elerium-115, while keeping them recoverable in missions for the moolah boost. Also makes the weapon research progression like that of Lasers, each higher tier needing the previous tier of weapon. Clips, too.

Plasma Pistol requires Elerium-115 to research, and unlocks Plasma Rifle and Plasma Pistol Clip research.
Plasma Rifle requires Plasma Pistol to research, and unlocks Heavy Plasma and Plasma Rifle Clip research.
Heavy Plasma requires Plasma Rifle to research, and unlocks Heavy Plasma Clip research.
Plasma Rifle Clip requires Plasma Pistol Clip, and Heavy Plasma Clip requires Plasma Rifle Clip.

All topics still require the actual item.
ALSO makes it impossible to manufacture anything that uses Elerium until that is researched (like Stun Bombs and Mind Probes) but the research of those still allows the use of that type of captured equipment.

It's only a bit tested, but it should be complete.

Installation: Just stick it in your Ruleset folder and enable!

Please feel free to use or modify this in any way.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 03:53:32 am by TurkishSwede »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [RESEARCH/PROGRESSION] Plasma Needs Elerium-115
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 03:52:21 pm »
Frankly it doesn't change all that much, since Elerium-115 is one of the earliest techs and can often be researched right after the first mission.
Still, any attempt to make plasmas any less available deserves a commendation. ;)

Offline Ishmaeel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 09:37:14 pm »
In addition to Elerium requirement, it also prevents researching heavies right from the bat, so researching pistols and rifles are no longer pointless. I'm all for more sense of progression, so this sounds very good to me.

I think I'll use it for my final test run, if I'm ever not late to do one.

Offline ibanix

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 12:45:38 pm »
A+, would use again.

Offline El Yahpo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 10:07:04 am »
I wish this could be updated for the expanded alien armory mod.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 12:07:33 am »
Warning: This is the first time that I attempt to modify OpenXCOM code/data, so I am still a bit uncertain.

I have attached a rule file that replaces the "Plasma Needs Elerium" mod for use with the "Expanded Alien Armoury" mod. Basically, it adds the research restrictions to the new EAA weapons as defined in the alien armory. I created the dependencies depending on the weapon type:

Plasma pistol -> Plasma Caster
Plasma rifle -> Plasma Sniper Rifle
Heavy Plasma -> Plasma Blaster

Also keeping the progression already present in the PNE mod:
Plasma pistol -> Plasma rifle -> Heavy Plasma

and the clips requiring both the gun research and the previous clip (except for the pistol clip which only requires the pistol by current PNE mod).

A quick test using one of my saved games shows that it works well, but this is my first try at a mod, so it might well not work exactly as intended. I removed all the "unlocks" statements from the rulefile as well. I originally kept them, but found out that they seem to forcefully unlock research topic, even though some other requirements are not met. Specifically, having the guns unlock their clips bypasses the need for the previous clip to be researched. You could, for example, research:

Elerium -> Plasma Pistol -> Plasma Rifle -> Heavy plasma -> Heavy Plasma Clip

and bypass the pistol and rifle clips. With the "unlocks" statements gone, you need to research all the dependencies and will get the "new research topic" message at the right time: When you have researched all the prerequisites. I am not sure what the "unlocks" statements are supposed to be for, to be honest...

I kept everything out of the EAA mod, as that is already quite a large mod with lots of information and a clear aim: Give more weapons to aliens. And it does that it very well. Conversely, it fits the aim of the PNE mod rather well to be adapted to new plasma weaponry, so now there is an "Expanded Plasma Needs Elerium" mod.

Offline El Yahpo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 12:32:16 pm »
Wow, Thanks! You rock  8)

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 03:34:13 pm »
What about the Plasma Cannon?  Normally, you need to research Plasma Rifle or Heavy Plasma to be able to research it.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 06:05:18 pm »
The rules for the plasma cannon are already in the Alien Armoury Expanded rules file, which states that once you research any of:
- Plasma Rifle + Clip
- Plasma Sniper Rifle + Clip
- Heavy Plasma + Clip
- Plasma Blaster + Clip

You unlock the research for Plasma Cannon. Given the progression enforced by this mod, you will get the research project after researching the rifle, as you need the rifle for all the other potential unlocks. This is a bit unfortunate, as I would prefer the cannon to be unlocked after Heavy Plasma at the earliest, but it is how the vanilla game works too.

I have attached a polished version of the mod as I am currently using it. With @TurkishSwede's permission, I can upload it to the mod website too.

Offline Voiddweller

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 12:25:22 am »
Actually, default human arsenal was not that bad in original game. And i guess if ruleset spawns an alien assault teams with heavy plasmas, then something wrong with that ruleset, because alien weapons is tiered for a reason. I guess it's not hard to learn how to operate an alien weapon engineering teams managed to avoid a possible safety locks, but then you might learn about alien tech a much more in order to replicate ammo for that weapons. And that's it. No more complications. Actually when i played X-COM my very first time i did not researched plasma technology at all, because i liked laser weapons already. Laser are not inferior, they are good alternative. Had some troubles shooting down the battleship with laser cannons though...

Offline BlackLibrary

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 09:19:24 pm »
Only complaint about mod is that its a resource to manage when raw elerium.  It can be too much of a chore especially when you have craft that fuel from elerium AND require it for ammo.  Thinking of making its ammo heavy weapons clips.  Not sure.  Or making its own required ammo based on elerium.   Definitely keep the same ratios.