Author Topic: WIP Soldier Classes  (Read 5008 times)

Offline Arpia

• Colonel
    • View Profile
WIP Soldier Classes
« on: May 13, 2014, 03:39:44 pm »
Okay so my initial idea was to try and implement a class system (aka heavy/scout/medic ect)
so my immediate idea was stat buffs through armor, not enough to make a massive difference to survivability, but stats that help gear a soldier toward a certain style... heavies get extra strength to equip the weapon and ammo and still move around, that kinda thing.
so here's what i've got so far.

Assault kit: +15Reactions/+10throwAcc/+5Bravery  trained and equipped for breaching/ambush tactics
maybe +15 reactions is a *tiny* bit OTT... but the idea is more to prevent reaction fire when entering through doors or corners... good for alien ships or terror missions where there's a lot of tight spaces and close quarters and stuff. or set up ambushes of your own. the throw accuracy gives it the option of being a grenadier aswell/instead.

heavy kit: +15Strength/-25Reactions/-10TU  trained to handle heavy weapons and equipment
+15 strength is more than enough to heft around anything and a reload... its probably OTT but it's a good starting point, things can always be tweaked. The drop in reactions is probably more personal preference, but the idea is it stops the soldier taking risky reaction shots with a rocket launcher and potentially killing himself, his team mates, civilians... and anything else unfortunate enough to be in the radius. the minus TU is purely a movement balance, since low TU's dont affect shooting cus it uses a percentage.

scout kit: +20TU/+30Stam/-10Reactions  trained to move through terrain and quickly cover ground
the idea here is the extra tu's give the unit the option to either use tools like a medkit or scanner. or cover more ground, allowing you to decide if you just want a recon unit or to be a medic, the extra stam makes sure he is able to move for longer before having to take a break. And a drop in reactions hopefully offsets the pretty big TU boost.

sniper kit: +20acc/-20TU trained for long range interdiction. The trade off here is you give up a lot of TU's, making this class pretty static and preventing you from just pumping up a soldiers acc and running it off into battle.

Kevlar kit: +15HP/20armor/Resist AP20%  standard issue kevlar protection
A basic kit for if you'd rather just have extra protection. I feel the problem with early game armor is it's either OP or pointless... when compared to alloy armor I mean. so I thought adding a little extra health instead might make the difference between surviving an early plas shot long enough to use a medkit. and the AP resist is more a counter measure against friendly fire... again, it won't stop you dying, but you'll survive a shot or two (probably... hopefully...maybe...) since early game psi aliens can force your rookies and psi weaklings to run off and commit regicide... thats mainly what the AP resist is for o_o

I also had the idea of adding alloy armor variants that basically give the same stats, but with added armor.
The problem with this is not being able to identify classes on battlescape. each class would need spritework. the xcom jumpsuit has a red/blue patch on each arm. I was thinking each class could have it's own patch colour, red/blue/green/black. the same could be done for alloy armour too.
I don't really think there should be power armor versions since all that armor+flight is more than good enough on its own. Plus by that point you should have a decent amount of trained soldiers

The current ruleset's attached, thoughts? ideas? criticisms? improvements? help?? O_o
I know stats on armor isn't new, neither is the idea of classes, but as far as I know, it hasn't been implemented.

EDIT - I've just started messing with the inventory images, so far I've got the jumpsuits prepped, changes the patches on the arms from red+blue to red, blue, green, brown, yellow and blank. They show up very nicely. it's a small change but since this is new ground for me... I feel particularly pleased >.>
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 03:10:27 pm by Arpia »

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: WIP Soldier Classes
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 04:55:50 pm »
I find this mod clever! I have third-hand information that, someday, carried items will be able to modify stats. Once that is implemented, I could see this mod being adapted to carry a literal kit that modifies the stats. Perhaps a 3x3 sized item that fits in the backpack. Until then though, this seems to fit the bill.

Offline Raidau

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 06:46:31 pm »
Kevlar kit: +15HP/20armor/Resist AP20%  standard issue kevlar protection

I think you better change all resistances by 15%-25% or so instead of adding HP. That will serve the same purpose, but you will not face increaced wound recovery time, problems after removing armor from a wounded soldier in geoscape. Also armor should not (IMHO) increace time the soldier takes to bleed to death (in case of fatal wound).

All in all the mod seems to make game a lot easier, the game also has its own "class" system - the initial stats of the soldier. If someday programmers will make possible adding more types of soldiers to the game via mods that will be a great breakthrough toward class system.

Even in vanilla its quite easy to get soldiers who have more than 100% aimed shot accuracy with rocket launcher and sometimes rifle, with sniper kits almost 30% of rookies will be too accurate.

he problem with this is not being able to identify classes on battlescape

I used uniforms mod https://www.openxcom.com/mod/combat-uniform-armors to give my soldiers uniforms of different color according to their role on the battlefield, so that my snipers were always green (jungle armor variants), medics were white (arctic) and so on

Offline Camalex97

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 07:06:27 pm »
nice! i was looking for something like this!

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 07:24:38 pm »
All in all the mod seems to make game a lot easier, the game also has its own "class" system - the initial stats of the soldier. If someday programmers will make possible adding more types of soldiers to the game via mods that will be a great breakthrough toward class system.

What do you mean by more types of soldiers? If we're talking about stats, that's already moddable.

Offline Human Ktulu

• Colonel
  • Cuistre !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 07:45:32 pm »
The idea to obtain classes more marked is a good, but "manufacture/fit/unfit training" is very strange concept ...
What I will wish is the training system of "UFO : Aftermath" (I can always dream  ::) ).

Offline Raidau

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 08:41:57 pm »
What do you mean by more types of soldiers? If we're talking about stats, that's already moddable.

i mean this:
Code: [Select]
soldiers:
  - type: XCOM
    minStats:
      tu: 50
      stamina: 40
      health: 25
      bravery: 10
      reactions: 30
      firing: 40
      throwing: 50
      strength: 20
      psiStrength: 0
      psiSkill: 0
      melee: 20
    maxStats:
      tu: 60
      stamina: 70
      health: 40
      bravery: 60
      reactions: 60
      firing: 70
      throwing: 80
      strength: 40
      psiStrength: 100
      psiSkill: 16
      melee: 40
    statCaps:
      tu: 80
      stamina: 100
      health: 60
      bravery: 100
      reactions: 100
      firing: 120
      throwing: 120
      strength: 70
      psiStrength: 0
      psiSkill: 100
      melee: 120
    armor: STR_NONE_UC
    standHeight: 22
    kneelHeight: 14

Seems like developers were going to make it possible to implement several types of soldiers, for example from different countries with different initial stat ranges and caps. But as for now it is limited to only one type.

Offline Arpia

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 11:03:53 pm »
All in all the mod seems to make game a lot easier
Not my intention. while it does make rookies a fair amount better... they do still have their shortfalls. does sniper kit make rookies too accurate? Its still WiP so all stats are subject to change. but in my defense, in my tests rookie snipers didn't miss their targets... but with the decreased TU's they had a very hard time moving up the battlefield, taking too long to relocate in most cases, and taking a whole squad of just sniper rookies was more of a liability than a squad of regulars.