Author Topic: [BETA] Alternative psionics (hardcore, introducing a new resource) new version  (Read 12025 times)

Offline Raidau

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
I finally decided to make a public version of my mod.

What it does:
- Adds new resource "psioline" required for psionic equipment and armor. Psioline must be extracted from LIVE psionic aliens.
- Adds psionic variants of all armor types (personal armor, power suit, flying suit). They block psi-waves and give your soldier 100% immunity agaist psi attacks, but also fully negate their own psi-skill.
- Now there are 2 psi-amps. The first one you get requires line of sight to operate and 1 psioline to manufacture. Advanced psi-apm doesnt require LOS, but requires additional research and 2 units of psioline.
- Rebalances psionic tech-tree and adds a ufopaedia article describing the idea of new psionic sistem.
- Adds special item called psi-beacon. Commanders of all races in bases and battleships will carry them. These devices are additional source of psioline.

This is beta version and now uses only standard graphics. Some names and stats may change. And since english is not my native language ufopaedia articles need some correction.

2 versions avaliable. Use first if you use "Alien armoury expanded" mod (Make sure this mod is loaded AFTER "alien armoury expanded" to make sure psi-beacons spawn properly.), and use second otherwise.

Includes russian translation.

Changelog:
Beta 2:

-Added advanced psi-amp
-Vanilla psi-amp now requires line of sight
-Now it is possible to upgrade normal armor into psi-armor. This requires psioline and minor amount of alloys/ellerium.
-Changed psi-armor stats so they now add -200 psi skill and +300 psi strength.
-Disassembling psi-beacon now yeilds 1 psioline instead of 2.

-Added graphics for psioline, psi beacon and advanced psi-amp

« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 12:16:54 pm by Raidau »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [BETA] Alternative psionics (hardcore, introducing a new resource)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 01:03:23 pm »
Wow, this is a bold mod. I'm not yet sure how to feel about this, as honestly I can't test something this experimental while being knee-deep in my own projects, but it's ambitious and non-trivial.

I'll be following this thread for sure. :)

Offline Raidau

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 01:19:09 pm »
It doesnt change much, basically game is the same for you before you decide to start psionic research. After that you are going to overcome some challenge like capturing live ethereals and sectoid leaders for every piece of psi-equipment you want to have. So now psi technology dont make the game too easy instantly after you research it and give initial training to your troops.

What I am thinking of is splitting psi-amp into two weapons: basic, which requires line of sight and advanced which can operate like vanilla psi-amp.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 01:39:06 pm by Raidau »

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 01:51:13 pm »
according to https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Psionic_Skill
"Unlike any other skills, Psi Skill is not truly capped. Although combat increases stop once you reach 100+, the Psi Lab increases skill as follows: "
psi skill can get higher than 100 with training
i dont know if thats a bug or a feature (whats the behaviour in openxcom?)
if skill can grow skill with the lab after it stops with combat training you can get soldiers with high psi skill to still mindcontrol aliens using the armor

Offline Raidau

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 02:01:33 pm »
according to https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Psionic_Skill
"Unlike any other skills, Psi Skill is not truly capped. Although combat increases stop once you reach 100+, the Psi Lab increases skill as follows: "
psi skill can get higher than 100 with training
i dont know if thats a bug or a feature (whats the behaviour in openxcom?)
if skill can grow skill with the lab after it stops with combat training you can get soldiers with high psi skill to still mindcontrol aliens using the armor

I did not test this inOpenXcom (becouse it will take a lot of time), but since stat values are not limited to 1-byte variable 0-255, larger numbers in armor stats are not a problem. Maybe -200, +300 will be enough :)

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 02:13:19 pm »
dont bother if i calculated correctly one needs 140 skill/95strength to get a 100% chance to control a nearby ~60-defence alien and if you have such guys you dont need the psi protection armor

Offline Angelus_EV

• Colonel
  • Trust no one
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 05:49:34 pm »
the most funny part of xcom are the fear of losing control of your soldiers i like how the game is in that way, but your mod its so well done and thought! good job, excellent mod!

Offline Murmur

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 08:53:07 pm »
This is a really good idea, I also like your idea of the two types of psi-amp. Really well thought out.

Offline Avalanche

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 10:50:21 pm »
Well I was testing some other mods in ironman mode, but that crashed and burned. Time to give this one a shot!

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 11:11:59 pm »
Great idea !
You could make the manufacturing formulas "upgrade" an existing armor (ie. they use one as component), because by the time you gather psioline, all your soldiers will probably already have an armor.

Offline Raidau

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 07:33:00 am »
Great idea !
You could make the manufacturing formulas "upgrade" an existing armor (ie. they use one as component), because by the time you gather psioline, all your soldiers will probably already have an armor.

I was afraid that mod will occupy too much space in manufacture list, but it already adds 9 lines so this may not be too much to  add 3 more :)

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
If you make "upgrade" manufacturing formulas, the construction formulas (from scratch) are unneeded.
I've just tested, and I see that each new armor requires a specific research topic ? Psioline seemed precious enough, but now I'm certain the first 2 armors are not going to be used : There's no point saving on money/alloys/elerium for a cheaper psi armor, because the wearer is more likely to be killed, and then you'll lose the armor (you don't recover armors from dead soldiers).

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
(you don't recover armors from dead soldiers).

Until you switch it on. *ba-dum-tss*

Anyway, I'm not a gigantic fan of psionic armours, because you know, every armour should have psionic screening if you have access to it. I'm voting for a protective item you keep in the inventory, but stat-changing non-armour items are not functional yet; the devs promised to do something about it at some point.

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
Until you switch it on. *ba-dum-tss*
always the teasing.. hmm..
that should do it right?
changing:
armors:
  - type: STR_FLYING_SUIT_UC
    corpseBattle:
      - STR_CORPSE_FLYINGSUIT
changing:
items:
  - type: STR_CORPSE_SUIT
    recover: true
copying: STR_CORPSE_SUIT -> STR_CORPSE_FLYINGSUIT
adding:
manufacture:
  - name: STR_FLYING_SUIT_REPAIR
    requiredItems:
      STR_CORPSE_FLYINGSUIT: 1
    producedItems:
      STR_FLYING_SUIT: 1

Offline Raidau

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
I play with tweaked armor properties, as well as bunch of other mods increacing game duration, so every armor has its niche during a game. For example, my flying suit has weaker armor, and grants less protection. Thats why I included psi-versions for every armor.

The most effective usage for psi-armor is equipping your trained veterans who ocassionally have low psi-strength.

always the teasing.. hmm..
that should do it right?
changing:
armors:
  - type: STR_FLYING_SUIT_UC
    corpseBattle:
      - STR_CORPSE_FLYINGSUIT
changing:
items:
  - type: STR_CORPSE_SUIT
    recover: true
copying: STR_CORPSE_SUIT -> STR_CORPSE_FLYINGSUIT