aliens

Author Topic: Please review the new Options screen!  (Read 14404 times)

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Please review the new Options screen!
« on: May 08, 2014, 05:52:04 pm »
The Options screen was completely changed between 0.9 and now, so it looks quite schizophrenic on some translations. Because GetLocalization can't pick up on every context change, there are a lot of messy translations of the Options with many problems like:
- Outdated / incorrect text.
- Inconsistent terms / formatting.
- Overlapping text / not fitting the screen.

I really recomend every translator to go inspect the screen in their language and fix any problems they find, since it'll likely be a popular screen. Remember, keep descriptions clear for new players, be mindful of text length, and make sure everything is internally consistent. Abbreviating option names is probably fine since you can save the full words for the option description. And if you can't replace an outdated translation, let me know and I'll delete it.

Here's screenshots of the English version to help comparing:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 05:53:42 pm by SupSuper »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Please review the new Options screen!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 07:28:51 pm »
It's done, though some of my adjustments need to be upvoted.

However, there are several instances where there's simply not enough room. I'm attaching screenshots.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 10:27:06 pm »
What do you want us to do? Make the screen magically bigger? :P You'll just have to abbreviate it.

issue_3.png: Should be fixed in the latest nightly.

issue_4.png: Those uppercase strings are outdated and should be revised (compare to the English version).

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 10:36:08 pm »
What do you want us to do? Make the screen magically bigger? :P You'll just have to abbreviate it.

You kidding? :) Naturally I would have done it already if it was possible.
All I can do is to make some ugly abbreviations, but that's below my standards... Oh well, looks like I have no choice.

issue_3.png: Should be fixed in the latest nightly.

Nice, thanks!

issue_4.png: Those uppercase strings are outdated and should be revised (compare to the English version).

Indeed. My bad.

Offline Angelus_EV

• Colonel
  • Trust no one
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 11:53:13 pm »
i have all done at getlocaliz... but i need votes coz some strings have 3 or more tranlations, can anyone help me, please vote my translations!!

Offline Ishmaeel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 12:04:15 am »
What do you want us to do? Make the screen magically bigger? :P

The only solution I can think of is implementing a scrolling panel and putting the options in one wide column. Of course that would be totally out of place in the general UI theme of OXC, not to mention probably require an obscene amount of work, so I would look like a high-maintenance, self-entitled prick, just for suggesting it, so I won't even mention it. No sir, I will not hit that "post" button.

In other news, shall we be able to do something about the mod names? I realize they are taken directly from *.rul file names and it will be impossible to provide translations for future third party mods installed by users. But if the current mods in the nightlies will get bundled with the 1.0, we could at least translate them, using the filenames as string keys.

My OCD is killing me.

Offline Angelus_EV

• Colonel
  • Trust no one
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 03:23:47 am »
Excellent the Spanish 419 its almost perfect now, can be more perfect but its fine to 1.0 now

Offline redv

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 11:26:52 am »
Maybe offtop, but by default vanilla Xcom offered only 4 sound channels.
Therefore many old (elder ;-)) players remembers old-warm-lamp-vanilla Xcom with 4-channel sound.

I suggest add an option to the "audio" tab to choose quantity of sound channels.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 07:17:16 pm »
Ok I've gone through and deleted any wrong/outdated strings I could find, so hopefully the correct ones will surface. :)

The only solution I can think of is implementing a scrolling panel and putting the options in one wide column. Of course that would be totally out of place in the general UI theme of OXC, not to mention probably require an obscene amount of work, so I would look like a high-maintenance, self-entitled prick, just for suggesting it, so I won't even mention it. No sir, I will not hit that "post" button.

In other news, shall we be able to do something about the mod names? I realize they are taken directly from *.rul file names and it will be impossible to provide translations for future third party mods installed by users. But if the current mods in the nightlies will get bundled with the 1.0, we could at least translate them, using the filenames as string keys.

My OCD is killing me.
We already rewrote the Options screen once, let's save the next rewrite for later. :P

Maybe offtop, but by default vanilla Xcom offered only 4 sound channels.
Therefore many old (elder ;-)) players remembers old-warm-lamp-vanilla Xcom with 4-channel sound.
I suggest add an option to the "audio" tab to choose quantity of sound channels.
Ok now you guys just want to put me on an early grave. :P

Offline Ishmaeel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 11:01:54 pm »
We already rewrote the Options screen once, let's save the next rewrite for later. :P

What are you talking about? I did not even post the "suggestion" you are addressing. I didn't even type it. I just thought about it really hard. Those words do not exist. You did not read them.

I was serious about the mod names though. Majority of users will not know or care about adding (let alone writing) new mods and the "standard" ones bundled with the release could deserve localized names.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 11:03:35 pm by Ishmaeel »

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 01:05:17 am »
New options screen is very nice  ;)

French translation attached

Source build : openxcom_git_master_2014_05_09_2121

Screen size : 640 x 400 (default size at first execution)

Modified lines : 547, 668, 937, 1001, 1055, 1064, 1084, 1123, 1125, 1128, 1129, 1133, 1139, 1141, 1143, 1145, 1151, 1153, 1156, 1160, 1168, 1216, 1220, 1238, 1240, 1247, 1250, 1252, 1254, 1256, 1266, 1269, 1271, 1283, 1284, 1302, 1304, 1305, 1306, 1308, 1310, 1314, 1315, 1316, 1317, 1318, 1325, 1326, 1327, 1331, 1335, 1348, 1349
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 01:07:29 am by Aldorn »

Offline Ishmaeel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 01:30:26 am »
French translation attached

Ow. I regret to report that you wasted a bit of time there. Translations are now submitted via a web site. No need to attach YML files anymore.

Visit here: (account needed)
https://www.getlocalization.com/openxcom/

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 03:39:29 pm »
Ow. I regret to report that you wasted a bit of time there. Translations are now submitted via a web site. No need to attach YML files anymore.

Visit here: (account needed)
https://www.getlocalization.com/openxcom/

Thanks for info

I can reproduce corrections via GetLocalization, but I am not sure what to do and if I am really authorized to do it.

I made one test, and will check later if status has changed.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 05:31:47 pm »
You just submit your translations and if other translators vote them up, they will get rolled into the game, you don't need to get "authorized" or anything.

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 08:10:29 pm »
Great initiative