aliens

Author Topic: Sound Issue  (Read 4453 times)

Offline Zantid

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Sound Issue
« on: May 08, 2014, 09:50:23 am »
https://i.imgur.com/LJzPjgj.jpg

Having a rather infuriating issue with sound (mainly because I can't fix it and can't for the life of me figure out what's wrong)... First time I opened up Open Xcom everything worked fine, sound was coming through the desktop speakers perfectly. Then I pressed the ok button after setting up some display settings and sound cut out. Not an issue, thought it was just a random bug and rebooted and still no sound. So I checked the volume mixer for windows down the bottom and it showed the program was still outputting sound (as you can see from the picture above) - but it wasn't reaching my speakers for some reason.

Trying to troubleshoot I changed my default speakers to my headset and sound works perfectly through those. Soon as I switch back the default sound to my speakers... nothing.

Rather at a point of giving up - tried taking out the headset and restarting openxcom with just my desktop speakers attached and still nothing - but for some unknown reason sound works perfectly through my USB headset, just not my audio jack'd speakers  :(

Offline Snickerdoodle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Sound Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 10:18:43 am »
I play with music off, and the result is that the "SW Synth" setting is set to zero by OpenXcom, which messes up Windows. If I increase the volume, the music reappears. Which means that the music is never really off, it's just playing with the volume set to zero.

Not a big thing, but OpenXcom really should have its own volume controls, instead of hijacking the controls of the operating system.

Offline CoolKid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 10:26:30 am »
https://i.imgur.com/LJzPjgj.jpg

First time I opened up Open Xcom everything worked fine, sound was coming through the desktop speakers perfectly. Then I pressed the ok button after setting up some display settings and sound cut out.

Strange. Try windows media player to check your speaker works or not. If it works then try delete my documents/openxcom folder and run the game. Check sound works or not. And try setup your game again from scratch. Repeat by try different setting resolution or filter or play windowed mode. and make sure sound sliders are in right posisition. If still not works then maybe you missing some dll or something.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 10:30:01 am by CoolKid »

Offline Zantid

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 04:25:54 pm »
Well after playing around with it, I gave up getting it to work and went down the route of a complete re-install of OpenXcom; which as solved the issue. Couldn't repeat the steps to get the loss of sound again so am going to chalk it up as a random gremlin. But sound is back after the reinstall! :D

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 06:29:46 pm »
We can't really do much about internal audio issues as that is SDL's problem and outside our control.

I play with music off, and the result is that the "SW Synth" setting is set to zero by OpenXcom, which messes up Windows. If I increase the volume, the music reappears. Which means that the music is never really off, it's just playing with the volume set to zero.

Not a big thing, but OpenXcom really should have its own volume controls, instead of hijacking the controls of the operating system.
This is a bug with SDL and MIDI playback. The nightly builds use an Adlib emulator instead, which should hopefully overcome this issue (using one of the digital music packs also works).

Offline Snickerdoodle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 07:10:19 pm »
The nightly builds use an Adlib emulator instead, which should hopefully overcome this issue (using one of the digital music packs also works).

I'm already using the nightlies. Perhaps I'll try the *.ogg files instead.