Author Topic: Configurable alien/civilian counts for terror missions or base assaults?  (Read 13967 times)

Offline Waffnuffly

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
First off, I'm REALLY glad to see this project exists. I really hope to see it completed and be able to play X-COM on Win7 without DOSbox! Fortunately it runs fine on XP.

Anyway, I know you're probably getting bombarded with ideas (or will soon), but one thing that would be really fantastic if you removed all the stuff like the 80-item limit and the 40-units-per-side limit would be a way for users to create scenarios where they can specify how many aliens arrive in a terror mission or in a base assault, and the number of civilians in a terror site. This way, you could create absolutely mindblowingly crazy situations: a terror site with 50 civilians and 10 Chryssalids, a base assault with 200 Floaters and 30 Reapers defended by 40 guys and 60 tanks, whatever!

I don't really know how it could be implemented from a UI standpoint, but maybe some kind of save game editor would do the trick, allowing you to manually place objects in the battlescape from a save. This could also allow for mixed-race attacks, Ethereals and Floaters and Snakemen, etc. Something like that could be tons of fun to mess with, and I'm not sure if it's possible currently (without a lot of effort at least).

Good luck on this project!

Offline hsbckb

• Colonel
  • Gill Man
    • View Profile
seem interesting and creative idea!

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Interesting. Some kind of mission editor for when I get around to implementing and testing the Battlescape could be useful, although a lot of work.

battlesquid

I think being able to set number of attackers probably wouldn't be used that much and it could make the tactical game last longer than is fun. I know at least for my part a fun-killer is (especially in xcom apoc) when I have to manage more than say 20-30 units turns takes so long it ruins the fun.

On the editor I think probably the best idea would be to make savegame format xml, that way there's no need for any editor (which takes time away from developing the real program: the game...). If XML is too much then at least something text based - property files could do, but they get messy to maintain and read when large. As we all know XML can be and usually is nested so it's very easy to navigate and read. The downside is possibly it's more work to program the saving (there must be some good XML libs for C++ out there though)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 11:53:28 am by battlesquid »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
On the editor I think probably the best idea would be to make savegame format xml, that way there's no need for any editor (which takes time away from developing the real program: the game...). If XML is too much then at least something text based - property files could do, but they get messy to maintain and read when large. As we all know XML can be and usually is nested so it's very easy to navigate and read. The downside is possibly it's more work to program the saving (there must be some good XML libs for C++ out there though)
People are gonna want editors sooner or later, and if done right they can help and even speed up the development process.

In any case I have been considering using XML for OpenXcom's external data. It's easy to read, easy to write, easy to debug, and I don't wanna be worrying too much about file format and specifications and upgrades and junk like if I go with some binary format.

There are a few C++ XML libraries available, it's just a matter of trying them out.

battlesquid

I'm sure they could help speed up the development process if they're done right, but doing them right takes time too  ::)

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
Nar, editors can be as buggy as hell, just as long as they read and write the data properly, you don't have to go near as much polish as a game.

battlesquid

I rest my case.

Offline Waffnuffly

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Yeah I'm not really into managing more than 10 soldiers and a few tanks myself, but why limit people? I mostly suggested the idea so you could pump insane amounts of Chryssalids into a small town and let your handful of soldiers do their best to not die :p

That and missions like Cydonia where (more or less) every possible enemy is all in the same area could be very interesting.

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
Have you been reading GuavaMoment's Lets Play UFO too?   ;)
https://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/XCOMUFODefense/

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Have you been reading GuavaMoment's Lets Play UFO too?   ;)
https://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/XCOMUFODefense/
Haha those are some good ones, I even embarrassed myself horribly participated in his TFTD LP.

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
Which chapter?

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile

Offline Eeyoocah5Moh

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
In any case I have been considering using XML for OpenXcom's external data. It's easy to read, easy to write, easy to debug, and I don't wanna be worrying too much about file format and specifications and upgrades and junk like if I go with some binary format.

There are a few C++ XML libraries available, it's just a matter of trying them out.

JSON instead of XML please. It is much more suitable for storing data.

And for maps it is better to either use binary format (cause you wouldn't edit map with text editor anyway) or create some simple text format like in Wesnoth.