aliens

Author Topic: [MAPS] (UPDATE v1.4) Hobbes Terrain Mods for OpenXCom  (Read 48432 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: [MAPS] (UPDATE v1.4) Hobbes Terrain Mods for OpenXCom
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2014, 05:28:03 am »
Version 1.5 uploaded to this post.

Changes:
- Added Mad City terrain
- Removed Area51, Hive and City terrains until they are reworked

I kept Port disabled until I can figure out the issues, so currently the mod only has Dawn City and Mad City terrains. Took me a while to figure out the exact way to create the ruleset files but no more CTDs so I think I got it. I still want to try to add extra tiles to Mad City tomorrow or so when I get the time. Then I'll focus on seeing what can be expanded in Dawn and fixing Port before adding more terrains.

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2014, 02:31:04 pm »
Your work makes openXCOM with Warboy's new AI most enjoyable. New maps mean a completely fresh game experience. Thank You!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2014, 03:59:34 pm »
Hobbes, I'm thrilled to be on the same forum as the greatest member of the X-Com community! :) Your Unknown Menace remains one of my very favourite fanfics ever! (Especially considering most of my other favourite fanfics involve teenage girls doing cute or naughty things to each other. :P )

Hobbes, would it be possible to make a combined terrain mod with Luke's expanded terrain? I really like his works too, and wouldn't want to have to go with just one mod. (Because only one ruleset can be active at a time - the latest on in the config file.)

Of course I could make a combined version myself, but it's more complicated than adding a new gun and maintaining such a combination (to include updates etc.) is a nightmare. Besides, I'm sure most people wouldn't be able to do it by themselves.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2014, 06:48:29 pm »
Hobbes, I'm thrilled to be on the same forum as the greatest member of the X-Com community! :) Your Unknown Menace remains one of my very favourite fanfics ever! (Especially considering most of my other favourite fanfics involve teenage girls doing cute or naughty things to each other. :P )

Sometimes I wonder how I was able to write something so big :)

Hobbes, would it be possible to make a combined terrain mod with Luke's expanded terrain? I really like his works too, and wouldn't want to have to go with just one mod. (Because only one ruleset can be active at a time - the latest on in the config file.)

Of course I could make a combined version myself, but it's more complicated than adding a new gun and maintaining such a combination (to include updates etc.) is a nightmare. Besides, I'm sure most people wouldn't be able to do it by themselves.

I haven't seen luke83's latest work (I send him a msg yesterday asking for something) since 2 years ago when he asked me to use the Dawn City tiles on his mods. Back then there was already an issue since I would update the tilesets and the changes would reflect on his maps, until I finished the updates. Now, since it is possible to use more tiles I'll definitely introduce a few more tiles, although I will do it through separate files rather than editing the existing files. In any case since there are so many terrains I really want have finished tilesets before moving to the next terrain, so that others can start using them.

The question of adding luke83's expanded terrain is something I don't have an answer yet, since I'm still considering the possibility of getting more collaborations for the terrains/craft that I never bothered with (UFOs, Desert/Forest/etc). The main issue to me is that I've learned a few basics about how to design maps for UFO through trial and error (room for the AI to move effectively, map sizes, etc.) to increase playability (IMHO) and I'd like to keep those basics on this map set.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2014, 06:57:16 pm »
I completely understand your position. therefore I think the best way would be to keep your works separate, and leave their integration to one person, whoever it may be. The point is to have it one comprehensive ruleset for everyone to use, featuring a collection of these mods.

I personally think the best person to take care of this would be Civilian, since he's already done something like this in the past, not to mention add some terrains of his own. But realistically, anyone can do that, myself included (though terrain is not really my area of expertise).

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2014, 07:42:23 pm »
In my opinion we need an extension of ruleset syntax to allows mod integrations

When an ipotetical future mod add a new entity such as a new alienDeployments, it override all the other, it breaks all othe module that do the same. An example: ISLAND replace all the other terror terrains.

Code: [Select]
alienDeployments:
  - type: STR_TERROR_MISSION
    terrains:
       - ISLAND
      # - URBAN
      # - URBAN2
      # - NEW_URBAN
      # - PURBAN
      # - AREAURBAN
      # - CITYURBAN
      # - DAWNURBAN
      # - PORTBAN
terrains:
- name: ISLAND
mapDataSets:
      - BLANKS
      - ISLAND1
      - ISLAND2
      - ISLAND3

It will be usefull have a syntax to ADD a new element  in entity (terrains, maps, and so on)
An idea could be that char - override the current  list, + add a new element to the list

I so  :'( that it is a critical upgrade of grammar of the ruleset :-\

Code: [Select]
alienDeployments:
  - type: STR_TERROR_MISSION
    terrains:
       + ISLAND
terrains:
- name: ISLAND

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2014, 11:57:04 pm »
Meanwhile, I've done a ton of work today and finished adding more tiles to Mad City as well as starting work on the upgrade to Dawn City. I think I can tell now for sure that things are going to get big with Dawn City. I'm not going to promise anything at the moment since this will require a lot of work but I'll post a few of UFO2000's maps for you guys to get an idea of what I'm talking about :)

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2014, 12:22:08 am »
I suppose that last building will not be compatible with OXC due to the height level limit, am I right?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2014, 12:31:24 am »
I suppose that last building will not be compatible with OXC due to the height level limit, am I right?

What's the height level limit? Still 4 levels?

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2014, 12:34:00 am »
As far as I know, yes.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2014, 12:37:48 am »
What's the height level limit? Still 4 levels?

No, it's not. Luke's terror maps are 10 levels high or so (including the 3 underground levels), and they work fine.

Offline the_third_curry

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2014, 12:47:19 am »

According to Warboy in Luke's expanded terror topic (https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=389.105):

"maps MUST BE at least big enough to fit the ufo and the landing craft, and a multiple of 10."

As far as I'm aware, that's the only requirement for size. The problem Luke's maps had with height was that he assigned the first three levels to be underground, but forgot to adjust the deployment level for the Avenger and Lightning, resulting in the game trying to place a ship into 15 feet of dirt.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2014, 12:49:51 am »
but forgot to adjust the deployment level for the Avenger and Lightning, resulting in the game trying to place a ship into 15 feet of dirt.

That's what I call a rough landing  ;D

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2014, 03:39:27 am »
Version 1.5 uploaded to this post.

Changes:
- Added Mad City terrain
- Removed Area51, Hive and City terrains until they are reworked

I kept Port disabled until I can figure out the issues, so currently the mod only has Dawn City and Mad City terrains. Took me a while to figure out the exact way to create the ruleset files but no more CTDs so I think I got it. I still want to try to add extra tiles to Mad City tomorrow or so when I get the time. Then I'll focus on seeing what can be expanded in Dawn and fixing Port before adding more terrains.
The port was a very nice idea, I hope to see it work in the future

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2014, 06:24:34 am »
The port was a very nice idea, I hope to see it work in the future

Why did you had to remember me that Port is my favorite terrain in UFO/TFTD? Why, why, why...

Version 1.6 has been released with the bugs fixed in Port ;)

While fixing Port I noticed that 2 UFO2000 terrains (Industrial & Railyard) can be added more or less easily since the TFTD tilesets they use have been already converted for UFO, although creating the RMP files for them will take some work. I think I'll focus on them since they'll also allow me to test maps different that the usual 10x10 and 20x20.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 08:15:16 am by Hobbes »