Author Topic: Check soldier names for duplicates  (Read 9163 times)

Offline Snickerdoodle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Check soldier names for duplicates
« on: April 25, 2014, 07:34:19 am »
When hiring new soldiers, it would be nice if the generated names were checked against the list of already hired soldiers. I have just 25 soldiers, and 4 pairs have identical names.  :o

It's not a big deal to change the names manually, but it's annoying, and it feels lke I live in a world of twins and inbreeding.  ???

It's also a little strange to hire the same name as the one I just sacked, but I realize that's unavoidable.

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
Re: Check soldier names for duplicates
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 09:46:15 am »
Nice catch.

I think this is pretty easy to fix, but with the 1.0 7pretty close, I'm not sure it will make it until then. Warboy? :)

Why don't you fill a bug report on the bug tracker? That way it won't be forgotten by accident.

Offline Snickerdoodle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 12:06:34 pm »
I've filed a feature request, because it's not really a bug, and I don't know how hard it is to reproduce.

Anyone else have this problem?

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 12:33:20 pm »
I saw once that I had twice the same soldier. They were total clones : Same name, identical stats. A glitch in the matrix, I guess.

Offline Snickerdoodle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 02:21:12 pm »
Okay, this is getting weird. Not only are the names duplicated, but they're grouped, and in the same order.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 02:35:21 pm »
Check if the twins have the same stats.

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 03:16:07 pm »
I saw once that I had twice the same soldier. They were total clones : Same name, identical stats. A glitch in the matrix, I guess.

Most likely

Offline Snickerdoodle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 05:09:18 pm »
Check if the twins have the same stats.

They have the exact same original stats. Which means, in effect, that I can recognize good and bad soldiers from their names.

That is not good.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 03:45:15 am »
I ran a quick test and out of 1000 generated soldiers, only 5 were duplicate. So at least it doesn't look like anything wrong with the PRNG, but anything like modding the name lists or using save scumming options could bias it, so I'll add a duplicate check just in case.

That's a side-effect of pseudo-random-number-generators. The same seed will produce the same sequence of numbers. So if you happen to get the exact same seed twice (which is pretty unlikely but not impossible), then all the soldier stats will be the same.

They have the exact same original stats. Which means, in effect, that I can recognize good and bad soldiers from their names.

That is not good.
Yes? You can also do it by just looking at their soldier stats. :P
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 03:47:28 am by SupSuper »

Offline Snickerdoodle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 07:23:03 am »
That's a side-effect of pseudo-random-number-generators. The same seed will produce the same sequence of numbers. So if you happen to get the exact same seed twice (which is pretty unlikely but not impossible), then all the soldier stats will be the same.
As long as it doesn't stray into a Minecraft-like procedural generation type game it shouldn't matter. Minecraft needs to be procedurally generated, OpenXcom needs to be surprisingly random.

Yes? You can also do it by just looking at their soldier stats. :P
Of course, but not all soldier stats are available early in the game, like the psi stats. I don't want to recognize the strength and weaknesses of individual soldiers right off the bat, just because I've seen his/her name before. It takes away some of the replay value. The unknown and unexpected is a major point of this game.

My $0.02

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 08:20:01 pm »
I ran a quick test and out of 1000 generated soldiers, only 5 were duplicate.
There are only 484 different male Arabian names, for example, so it would be normal to get name dplicates sometimes.

But here we have a much bigger issue : in order to get total clones, the identical data has to be :
Nationality (5 bits), gender (1 bit), first name (~5 bits), last name (~5 bits), looks (~2bits), stats (50 bits).
This is overall 68 bits of information that need to be the same. 1 chance out of 3e20. It is much more likely that there was an accidental reseeding (or bad reseeding) of the RNG, that made it enter the exact same sequence of numbers several times in the same game.

I looked at the code and I can't see an evident error (like storing a seed in a short int)...

Offline Snickerdoodle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 07:13:51 am »
The comments for git_2014_04_26_2314 says "Avoid duplicate soldier names", but that doesn't apply for soldiers in transit.

I recruited 3 soldiers in 3 different hirings within the same hour, and 2 were identical clones. For silly reasons, I hired a soldier, saved, loaded the same game, hired another soldier, saved in the same slot, reloaded the same game again, and hired a third soldier. Number 2 and 3 were clones.

I starting to wonder if the "clone" issue might be a bigger problem than just the confusion with identical names.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 05:09:13 pm »
Ok there IS a problem with either getSeed() or setSeed() : Here's a test program :
Code: [Select]
#include "RNG.h"
#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
  OpenXcom::RNG::setSeed(1000);
  printf("%d\n", OpenXcom::RNG::generate(0,99999));
  printf("------------\n");
  OpenXcom::RNG::setSeed(1000);
  OpenXcom::RNG::setSeed(OpenXcom::RNG::getSeed());

return 0;
}
This is supposed to produce 2 times the same series of 6 numbers.
But on the second run, I reseed with the current seed for the last 3 numbers, and the series change :

------------

So in OpenXCOM, when Save scumming is OFF (which is the default), saving and reloading does NOT restore exactly the right random numbers.

edit: gahh! Can't believe I didn't see it before : getSeed() returns the original seed (ie 1000 in my case) In order to actually save and restore the RNG state, the entire mt[] array should be stored in the save game, ie 2496 byte :(

re-edit Filed a bug for the developers : https://openxcom.org/bugs/openxcom/issues/562
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 05:34:26 pm by yrizoud »

Offline Snickerdoodle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 07:28:20 pm »
edit: gahh! Can't believe I didn't see it before : getSeed() returns the original seed (ie 1000 in my case) In order to actually save and restore the RNG state, the entire mt[] array should be stored in the save game, ie 2496 byte :(

Perhaps a more save-friendly RNG could be used?

The following 64-bit generator with 64 bits of state has a maximal period of 264 − 1 and fails only the MatrixRank test of BigCrush:
Code: [Select]
#include <stdint.h>

uint64_t x; /* The state must be seeded with a nonzero value. */

uint64_t next() {
x ^= x >> 12; https:// a
x ^= x << 25; https:// b
x ^= x >> 27; https:// c
return x * 2685821657736338717LL;
}

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xorshift#Variations

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 01:10:52 am »
Ok I've replaced the RNG and corrected the duplicate checks so this should hopefully be fixed.