aliens

Author Topic: [SOUND] Weapon Sound Variety  (Read 9095 times)

Offline Tarvis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
[SOUND] Weapon Sound Variety
« on: April 25, 2014, 07:17:04 am »
This mod gives each subclass of each weapon (pistol, rifle, and heavy) their own unique sounds. That way, the Heavy Plasma uses a different sound from the Plasma Pistol, and so on. I did this by using different sounds from both the 1.0 and 1.4 versions of the game. Therefore the original soundscape is not compromised.

It's a ruleset mod, so just enable it in the Mods list.

I'll upload this shortly with a demonstration. Soon I'll update this for the various launchers as well.

EDIT: Updated! Now the Plasma Pistol uses the Amiga plasma sound, and the old Plasma Pistol and Rifle sounds have been moved up to Rifle and Heavy, respectively.
Also updated the Laser Pistol sound with a slightly-higher-quality version (also from the Amiga version)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 01:24:53 am by Tarvis »

Offline civilian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [SOUND] Weapon Sound Variety
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 11:41:55 am »
I made something like that for myself, too. It is much better to know what the enemy fired at you with. Good work!

Offline Human Ktulu

• Colonel
  • Cuistre !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 03:23:10 pm »
Hello,

You use 8svx amiga sounds ? In past I have modified some sounds on my amiga version ^^

Offline Tarvis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 04:28:14 pm »
I never had the Amiga version so I haven't used it. All sounds came from either the 1.0 DOS or 1.4 DOS versions.

Thanks though, I'll look into it

EDIT: From what I can tell, they're the same sounds as the DOS 1.0 version (the weapons at least). I'll check it later to see if it's any higher quality, because the quality of the 1.0/1.2 DOS sounds aren't too good
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 04:35:30 pm by Tarvis »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 04:37:51 pm »
This looks useful, as it provides additional info to the player. :)

Will use!

Offline Tarvis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 01:20:40 am »
I updated it a bit.

• Plasma Pistol changed to Amiga plasma sound, old Pistol and Rifle sounds moved up to Rifle and Heavy
  • Higher-quality Laser Pistol sound from Amiga version

Offline Shodanbot

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 03:27:24 am »
The only mod I'm using at the moment. Very useful. Well done.  :)

You mention in your first post you're going to upload a demonstration, you should show comparisons
shots between this and the vanilla v1.4 sounds. Just my advice.

Offline Tarvis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 08:27:40 pm »
A comparison won't really be needed since these sounds are all from the original game (for example, the 1.4 Plasma sound is the Heavy Plasma, the 1.0/1.2 Plasma sound is the Plasma Rifle, etc.) but I'll be sure to note them in the demonstration video.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 09:07:02 pm »
Took me a while to get used to it, and I haven't really tested it extensively yet, but I grew to like the new Heavy Plasma sound.

Offline civilian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 11:03:22 am »
sorry to hijack this thread, but is there a tool to open/extract/edit the X-Com cat-files directly?  ???

Offline Tarvis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 07:37:06 pm »
Yeah, I used CatPacker. I got it a long time ago, so I'm sorry to say I don't remember where. But it supports both the 1.0 and 1.4 file versions.

Just note that the 1.0 sounds are in a raw format, so you'll need to use something like Vox to convert them to wavs. They're also only 8-bit 8000kHz wavs, so trying to convert modern wavs down to that using modern tools is incredibly lossy. That's why I felt it best to load them via ruleset instead, since they can just use regular 32-bit wavs instead of having to cram them back down to 8-bit.

If I can find the original sound library that X-COM takes all its sounds from, I'd love to replace these with high-quality sounds.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 08:49:55 pm by Tarvis »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 01:06:15 am »
Yeah, I used CatPacker. I got it a long time ago, so I'm sorry to say I don't remember where. But it supports both the 1.0 and 1.4 file versions.

Just note that the 1.0 sounds are in a raw format, so you'll need to use something like Vox to convert them to wavs. They're also only 8-bit 8000kHz wavs, so trying to convert modern wavs down to that using modern tools is incredibly lossy. That's why I felt it best to load them via ruleset instead, since they can just use regular 32-bit wavs instead of having to cram them back down to 8-bit.

If I can find the original sound library that X-COM takes all its sounds from, I'd love to replace these with high-quality sounds.
If you want high quality sounds you can just use the PSX version, though you'd have to match them up to the originals yourself.