aliens

Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1570344 times)

Offline cptelerium

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)
« Reply #3105 on: December 06, 2019, 12:27:49 am »
When I go to that download page from 1st post - to https://openxcom.mod.io/final-mod-pack
 it says: "This mod is hidden . Only team members and moderators can view it. If this is your mod login now to manage it."

am I missing something?

Offline Kjotleik

• Colonel
  • I am Kjotleik
    • View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: December 06, 2019, 01:36:28 am »
am I missing something?

Yes.

FMP contains the Terrain Pack (TP) made by Hobbes. After Hobbes decided to deny his TP to be used in other mods, Solarius Scorch has removed access to the download until he can remove the TP from FMP.

After that is done, FMP will be up and downloadable again. It will just take a little bit of time.

Offline cptelerium

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: December 06, 2019, 11:20:24 pm »
Thanks!

Would be cool then to create one day a new tileset.

Too bad Im not a graphics artist.

misterx

« Reply #3108 on: December 10, 2019, 04:40:14 pm »
As of now, all forbidden terrains were removed from the openxcomfiles have been removed, let's hope we'll have not to wait too much for the final mod pack :)

Offline Kruniac

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: December 11, 2019, 12:20:51 pm »
When I go to that download page from 1st post - to https://openxcom.mod.io/final-mod-pack
 it says: "This mod is hidden . Only team members and moderators can view it. If this is your mod login now to manage it."

am I missing something?

Sent you a download link. Someone being a dick about something that doesn't matter shouldn't ruin other people's enjoyment.

Offline Firestorm_01

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: December 11, 2019, 04:27:58 pm »
I have question about github FMP repository mentioned in the first post
 Is it actual? It appears it is not.

And did anyone try or plan to make somewhat like community version of this mod there anyone can contribute?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 04:34:09 pm by Firestorm_01 »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: December 11, 2019, 04:45:34 pm »
I have question about github FMP repository mentioned in the first post
 Is it actual? It appears it is not.

Why does it appear not actual?
It appears actual enough to me :/

And did anyone try or plan to make somewhat like community version of this mod there anyone can contribute?

No such thing ever worked.
If you have more than 2-3 authors, it will fall apart.

You can contribute by making PRs, just don't expect the author will accept them all (or any).
Better discuss upfront.

Offline Firestorm_01

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: December 11, 2019, 05:23:15 pm »
Why does it appear not actual?
It appears actual enough to me :/
Ops, my bad. It is really actural:
https://github.com/SolariusScorch/Final-Mod-Pack/commits/master
Some terrain fixes
@SolariusScorch
SolariusScorch committed on 24 Oct

Looks like it is readme text quite old.
THE FINAL MOD PACK 2.2b

No such thing ever worked.
If you have more than 2-3 authors, it will fall apart.

Is that OpenXCom mod specific? I mean other projects survived having insane activity per weak from bunch of random pepole. For example this:
https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA

It has around 6 developers and dozens of random cotributors. Dozens of Pull request passed during 2 weeks. This includes codebase edits, json edits and even mods for that game.

To be fair this project has some sings of being, well, mess (I can critisize this project for hours). But it is still stable and fun to play. And it survived more than 8 years it that state. So with proper control  and properly inmpelented Continious Integration with unit tests even insane activity is possible.

I am actually surprised that mods for OpenXcom is almost always sole works (of course with sharing resources from other mods).
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 05:34:30 pm by Firestorm_01 »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: December 11, 2019, 05:57:38 pm »
OpenXcom mods have 0 developers involved and 1-2 modders (and maximum 1 being the owner).
OpenXcom modders (with very few exceptions) are not developers (majority are not even IT people), they don't know how source control or continuous integration even works or what it is (no offense intended).

We have accountants, lawyers, geologists, etc. here... all doing this as a fun hobby.... not as any kind of serious IT project.
Also, people just make their "dreams come true", and I can assure you, everybody has a different dream...

Let's be glad that at least some of the mods are even published on github... I couldn't expect more.

Offline Firestorm_01

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: December 11, 2019, 06:05:40 pm »
OpenXcom mods have 0 developers involved and 1-2 modders (and maximum 1 being the owner).
OpenXcom modders (with very few exceptions) are not developers (majority are not even IT people), they don't know how source control or continuous integration even works or what it is (no offense intended).

We have accountants, lawyers, geologists, etc. here... all doing this as a fun hobby.... not as any kind of serious IT project.
Also, people just make their "dreams come true", and I can assure you, everybody has a different dream...

Let's be glad that at least some of the mods are even published on github... I couldn't expect more.

Hm... So they can be teached and helped  with maintaining. It is rather interesting vector of work. Intresting thing to consider.

Offline Maragon

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: December 13, 2019, 04:00:48 pm »
So when will the mod be available again? I have an itch to scratch after Phoenix Point let down and decided to do a whole series binge play.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3116 on: December 15, 2019, 06:28:42 pm »
Running such a project is possible even for a sociologist (like me). But it would consume a huge deal of time and energy I would rather devote to actual modding.

Having said that, if someone makes a new map and it's not crap, it has a fair chance of being added to various mods. Some people, for example Civilian, already do this and I added quite a bit of such maps. A whole terrain would be even better, but from my experience it should be done by one person (or a very close collab between two), but after it's done, anyone can make and propose additional mapblocks.

As for the FMP, I have just finished the overhaul for XCF, so now I can start doing the same for the FMP. Shouldn't take terribly long.

Offline Goth

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: December 20, 2019, 02:08:27 pm »
 Hi
 I just have a few questions to ask regarding modding FMP.
 I have been playing UFO Enemy Unknown since it was first released in 1994 (Yes I am quite old lol) and absolutely love OpenXcom and FMP especially. But I have found that over the years my tactics and strategies have become too good and I win the game on the hardest level every time. Because of this I taught myself simple modding and have doubled armors of Aliens, increased movement points of Aliens made Xcom facilities and ships vastly more expensive so much so that a SkyMarshall costs 5 million and a Raven costs 8 million. Bases cost far more to construct and living quarters only house half the number of men. Labs and Workshops also have half the capacity and I dont use Psionics even though I allow the Aliens to still use them. And even with these alterations I still win every time if I can get past the first three months.
 So What I am asking, is if there is a way to make the final mission have more than two levels. Ideally I would like to have 4 levels for the final mission if it is possible. The standard surface level followed by a narrow cave complex containing many chrysallids then a next level consiting of warrior Mutons and Gazers and finally the last level with the brain and Ethereals. If it is possible to mod I would love to learn how to make these levels and would also make all Alien bases two or three Levels eventually.
 Many thanks for all your hard work on this excellent mod and any help would be much appreciated.
  Goth

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3118 on: December 21, 2019, 07:42:46 pm »
Hi
 I just have a few questions to ask regarding modding FMP.
 I have been playing UFO Enemy Unknown since it was first released in 1994 (Yes I am quite old lol) and absolutely love OpenXcom and FMP especially. But I have found that over the years my tactics and strategies have become too good and I win the game on the hardest level every time. Because of this I taught myself simple modding and have doubled armors of Aliens, increased movement points of Aliens made Xcom facilities and ships vastly more expensive so much so that a SkyMarshall costs 5 million and a Raven costs 8 million. Bases cost far more to construct and living quarters only house half the number of men. Labs and Workshops also have half the capacity and I dont use Psionics even though I allow the Aliens to still use them. And even with these alterations I still win every time if I can get past the first three months.

I wish you all the best on your path of the modder! :)

So What I am asking, is if there is a way to make the final mission have more than two levels. Ideally I would like to have 4 levels for the final mission if it is possible. The standard surface level followed by a narrow cave complex containing many chrysallids then a next level consiting of warrior Mutons and Gazers and finally the last level with the brain and Ethereals. If it is possible to mod I would love to learn how to make these levels and would also make all Alien bases two or three Levels eventually.
 Many thanks for all your hard work on this excellent mod and any help would be much appreciated.
  Goth

Yes, this is definitely possible. You would need to make the new terrain, so I would suggest checking out this thread. Anything else would be secondary and much more trivial to make by comparison, but here is the ruleset manual.

...And now, I am pleased to announce that the Final Mod Pack is back with version 2.5!

- Removed all terrains made by Hobbes.
- Fixed DESERT14 map.

Offline Goth

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: December 21, 2019, 11:33:23 pm »
That is excellent news Solarius. I thank you for your help. I will get to work on it over the Christmas holidays.
 Have a great Christmas everyone.
   Goth