Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1580614 times)

Offline Wanderer

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)
« Reply #2730 on: February 14, 2018, 08:28:38 am »

I do it all the time.

Offline Gerk

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: February 14, 2018, 09:03:12 am »
Oh, I did. Doesn't make it any less boring/unintuitive though.

If that's the route the design philosophy decided to go down, it would have been a bit more prudent to include an enemy or two that wasn't vulnerable to anything except...say, incendiaries, for example, or maybe something later on that completely negates Plasma or Lasers (assuming nothing of the sort exists already) thus requiring an answer with the other.

As it is, the three major offenders (3 AFAIK anyway: MiB tanks, silacoids, and those goofy terror snails) just seem arbitrarily thrown in. I know the guy was talking about the vanilla X-Com spirit or some vague term like that, but things being completely immune to all your AP weaponry simply did not exist in the vanilla game until long after you were expected to have ditched it all.

Either way, I was asking if any such modmods existed to kinda iron out the gameplay experience. If not, no big deal.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2732 on: February 14, 2018, 11:59:11 am »
I haven't touched FMP balance for years. I will have another look.

Offline Gerk

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: February 14, 2018, 02:24:20 pm »
No pressure, no worries!

It's not the end of the world by any means.

I will say the mod is fantastic all-around. I've been streaming it every other morning and it's fun discovering all the new nuances and the chat (who range from my normal uninitiated regulars to X-Com vanilla vets to FMP gurus) providing their feedback as well.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: February 14, 2018, 03:35:07 pm »
Thanks! Happy to hear that.
I will check the mission/race tables for a possible future release.

Offline Kjotleik

• Colonel
  • I am Kjotleik
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: February 14, 2018, 06:02:46 pm »
but things being completely immune to all your AP weaponry simply did not exist in the vanilla game until long after you were expected to have ditched it all.

Looking at the starting weapons in FMP I find the following able to penetrate the armours of the MiB Terrorist Tank:
[% are for breaching Rear/Side/Front armours, respectively]
A. Magnum (yes, a pistol!), 21% - 1% - 0%
B. Sniper Rifle, 14% - 0% -0%
C. Shotgun (AP, 40 dmg), 25% - 6% - 0%
D. LMG, 9% - 0% - 0%
E. HMG, 45% - 32% - 18%
F. Minigun, 14% - 0% - 0%

This is BEFORE you get Alloy Ammunition. A HMG with Alloy rounds will have a [57% - 46% - 36%] chance to breach. So get your soldiers' strength up ASAP!

You have plenty of opportunities with AP alone. If you know where to hit the Tank where it hurts the most.
Of course, it's high health (150) makes it very likely it will shoot back during the several turns it takes to kill it. But it is possible with AP alone.

By the way, a High Explosive will have a 77% chance of breaching its under armour when thrown onto it. It won't kill it, but take down its health. And reduce its under armour so that it is eventually possible to kill it off with regular grenades. Eventually.

But, you are right. It is a VERY tough enemy to be up against early game. It will probably survive multiple turns before you can take it out. Unless you're in position with plenty of Incendiary/High Explosives/Large Rockets.

PS!
Edited due to me forgetting the HE damage modifier for the Tank. 77% after modifier.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 06:12:47 pm by Kjotleik »

Offline Gerk

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: February 15, 2018, 02:45:58 am »
Wait, does the Tank Terrorist have a different stat splat? I was under the impression it was identical to the X-Com Tanks.

Offline Kjotleik

• Colonel
  • I am Kjotleik
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: February 15, 2018, 11:48:09 pm »
Wait, does the Tank Terrorist have a different stat splat? I was under the impression it was identical to the X-Com Tanks.

Armour is identical (Front: 90, Side: 75, Rear & Under: 60), but Health is increased from 90 (our Tanks) to 150 (MiB Tanks). AP rounds do 100% damage, while HE does 75%.

Maximum damage from ONE High Explosive is therefore 110 x 1.5 x 0.75 = 123. This gives a total Health-reduction of (123 - 60) x 4 = 252. Instant death. If the HE is thrown exactly on the Tank, that is. If it lands two tiles in front of the Tank (Front Armour) it does 123 - (2 tiles x 10 damage reduction = 20) = 103 damage, giving a Health reduction of (103 - 90 (front)) x 4 = 52. Tank survives with 150 - 52 = 98 Health left.

However, an average damage-roll is 110 x 1.0 x 0.75 = 82. This gives a total Health-reduction of (82 - 60) x 4 = 88. The Tank survives with 150 - 88 = 62 Health left. Since you can assume half of the time that the HE does lower damage than average, it may take a few HE's/Large Rockets to take the thing down.

PS!
I think the math is correct. Should I've messed up, or made a wrong assumption, please let me know. Few things are worse than being wrong without anybody actually bothering to tell me.

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: February 16, 2018, 10:59:18 pm »
I noticed that X-Com soldiers firing the shotgun appeared to be pointing it at themselves when discharging the weapon.

Attached is a sprite sheet that has been altered to prevent this suicidal battle strategy.

I've also included the original file so they can be quickly visually compared. (File is from FMP Version: 1.9.8 )

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: February 17, 2018, 12:06:12 am »
Lol, you're right. Thanks!

Offline Human Ktulu

• Colonel
  • Cuistre !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: March 18, 2018, 12:16:39 am »
Hi,

I making some translation for FMP and I dont understand this string : STR_MEDAL_REVIVE_DESCRIPTION

Given to a soldier who returned from the brink a fellow soldier.

I am not comfortable with idioms  ::)

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 12:19:01 am by Human Ktulu »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: March 18, 2018, 12:23:39 am »
I think they need a language review... that particular sentence doesn't make any sense to me.
I have also read a few medal descriptions while playing today and some of them looked like they missed a few words here and there... probably some copypaste errors are to blame, and frequent updates in the past by multiple authors.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: March 18, 2018, 01:15:52 am »
I agree, I had the same problems.

Offline Human Ktulu

• Colonel
  • Cuistre !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: March 18, 2018, 01:09:44 pm »
Ok I found explaination for this damned idiom :

on the brink of (something)
On the verge of doing something or of having some imminent event happen, especially that which is bad or disastrous.

So :

Given to a soldier who returned from the brink a fellow soldier.

=

Given to a soldier who has just save comrade to imminent death

And that is the Angel Cross 8)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 01:17:17 pm by Human Ktulu »

Offline Kjotleik

• Colonel
  • I am Kjotleik
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: March 18, 2018, 10:27:19 pm »
Given to a soldier who has just save comrade to imminent death

And that is the Angel Cross 8)

In other words... "given to a soldier who returned a fellow soldier from the brink of death."

If you only write "from the brink," the question is: From the brink of what?
That is what makes the sentence awkward.

Good job looking into the texts. Some of them are a bit odd.