Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1602277 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)
« Reply #2355 on: August 28, 2016, 01:45:13 pm »
What is needed is transifex acces for conpleted mods. For proper translations.

Hell yes.

EDIT:

1.9.4 is online.

- Fixed SOLFOREST14 map (by Dioxine).
- Added Alien Subrifle.
- New Magnum sprite (by Yrizoud).
- Fixed some missing EN-US strings.
- Better Hybrid face, by Civilian.

The most important thing is adding the Alien Subrifle to the aliens' armoury. It is not very strong (for a plasma), but more than enough to reliably kill X-Com soldiers in personal armours.

Offline quikesan

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: August 29, 2016, 09:57:05 pm »
Hi,

I'm new here, so I don't know if a question about how the mod works goes here... but here it goes.

I am capturing Sectoid leaders, and when I research them they give me random stuff, instead the Psi lab.
The last one that I researched gave me Alien Surgery.
Is this intended? How can I do to save precious alive sectoid leaders, and make them give me useful stuff when researched?

Thanks a lot!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: August 30, 2016, 01:10:09 pm »
Hi,

I'm new here, so I don't know if a question about how the mod works goes here... but here it goes.

I am capturing Sectoid leaders, and when I research them they give me random stuff, instead the Psi lab.
The last one that I researched gave me Alien Surgery.
Is this intended? How can I do to save precious alive sectoid leaders, and make them give me useful stuff when researched?

Thanks a lot!

Welcome!
If you're capturing leaders en masse, you're already doing great. :D But here's how it works, roughly:
- Medics tell you about living things and some medical technologies, like Alien Surgery.
- Engineers tell you about machines and theoretical stuff required to comprehend alien tech (very important).
- Navigators tell you about communications and, well, navigation.
- Leaders and Commanders tell you about all three branches.

So Leaders and Commanders do not hold any special knowledge that is chosen randomly. They do give you some special knowledge, but it's automatic once you research one of these and is not random. In other words, there's no need to "save" them for anything.

Offline xenophonic

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: August 31, 2016, 09:46:31 am »
Hi Solarius,

Thanks for all your work on this mod.

I've discovered a bug. There is no research item for "STR_OBLITERATOR" leading to a crash when this research is randomly given in response to certain interrogations.

It took me a while to figure it out, but I fixed it by adding the following to the \rulesets\research.rul file:

- name: STR_OBLITERATOR
    cost: 0
    needItem: true

(I just copied the entry for STR_OBLITERATOR_AUTOPSY and changed the name).

Interestingly STR_OBLITERATOR_AUTOPSY and other STR_OBLITERATOR items are the first in the research.rul file; perhaps STR_OBLITERATOR was cut off the front of the file?

Thanks again.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: August 31, 2016, 12:27:05 pm »
Oh damn, you're right. I'll fix it in the next release. Thanks!

And welcome to the forums!

EDIT:

I've decided to release a new version, because of this critical fix.

Version 1.9.4a can be downloaded from the Mod Portal.

- Fixed Obliterator research crash.
- Fixed Elerium Mace graphics.

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: September 01, 2016, 11:42:30 am »
Just took a closer look at your new aliens (Cerebreal and Reptoid): Wow, those are clever and nice!
The Cerebreal in a disc ufopedia entry is cool. And funny and cute, it almost makes me sorry to shoot them. :)

I want one as a pet!  :)

That said: You should maybe go even further with the Reptoid and add a version w/o the suit.

Seeing all your nice work I seriously wish I had a better hand with those unit-graphics....  ::)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: September 01, 2016, 04:35:33 pm »
Just took a closer look at your new aliens (Cerebreal and Reptoid): Wow, those are clever and nice!
The Cerebreal in a disc ufopedia entry is cool. And funny and cute, it almost makes me sorry to shoot them. :)

I want one as a pet!  :)

That said: You should maybe go even further with the Reptoid and add a version w/o the suit.

Seeing all your nice work I seriously wish I had a better hand with those unit-graphics....  ::)

Thanks! But to be honest I didn't do that much:
The Reptoid uses standard suit sprite, plus the tail which I think I drew. I certainly drew the head, which is probably my greatest spriting achievement. ;) And the head in the inventory is a heavily reworked Argonian from Daggerfall. A non-suit version would be good, maybe later.
The Cerebreal sprite is mostly cannibalized from Diablo: Hellfire. Diablo in general has very nice sprites to convert.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm not a pixel artist, I mostly just steal creatively. ;)

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: September 02, 2016, 12:47:29 pm »
We all stand on someone's shoulders.  :P

Offline quikesan

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: September 04, 2016, 05:35:14 pm »
So Leaders and Commanders do not hold any special knowledge that is chosen randomly. They do give you some special knowledge, but it's automatic once you research one of these and is not random. In other words, there's no need to "save" them for anything.

Thanks for the info. So, then it means that leaders and commanders are just needed specifically for psi stuff (sectoid leader/commander) and Cydonia or Burst, right? (since all other stuff you can get from engineers, navigators and medics)

What did happen to me, is that I researched a sectoid Leader, expecting go push the research towards psi stuff (lab, amp, etc), and I got... alien food, or something like that. And the worst is that I obviously had tons of alien food (and other stuff like surgery and other things, that in vanilla were useless but now they aren't apparently :P). So, I have changed now my "research politic", to research stuff first, and then interrogations, to avoid "wasting" an alien interrogation in getting something I can research from the thing itself.

I'm not sure, but it also happend to me that I interrogate an alien (I thought it was a leader) and it gave me nothing. I don't know if it a bug. Maybe was a navigator and I had all that navigators give... don't know. I don't know if, when you have gotten all that a certain interrogation gives you (let say, navigators), you can still research a navigator to get nothing.

Any how, great mod, great work.
if it's ok, I will post my comments and experiences in the next post :)

Offline quikesan

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: September 04, 2016, 06:06:15 pm »
So, some weeks ago I though about that awesome game that Xcom is, and checking the web I found... openxcom! awesome!
And after some more research, I found, there are mods! OMG!

So I installed FMP, and these are some of my comments

Overhall great.

- The remade tech tree is cool. Makes the game longer and more logical. Apparently the weapons and equip is not "the next is always better". This forces to tactical decision. In vanilla was kind of easy to reach plasma cannons, and then everything is very easy. I am August and I still have no idea how plasma works. I need more alien engineers to confess I guess :P. The downsize is that the game maybe becomes TOO long, and the risk of becoming repetitive arises. Long and big tech tree is cool, but maybe shorter research times would be nice. I have 150 scientist and I always have the feeling that my research goes very slow, because I have tons of things to research (for example, my "interrogations queue" is huge, about 20 aliens waiting to be interrogated). But the problem of becoming too long and therefore repetitive is partially compensated with other stuff of the mod such as:

- Random alien ship room distribution. As far as I know, the alien ships have random doors and rooms distributions. Or a least several. I think this is the best contribution to avoid the game to become repetitive. I have had very funny (and stressing) tactical missions, thinking about how to storm the ship having no idea how it is inside.

- the introduction of more species, and the Hybrids and MiB. Although my only contact with Hybrids is Hybrids Castle (few of them). No contact with MiB yet.

- to avoid repetitiveness, I think it would be cool to have short of missions (like in UFO2012). The hybrid Castle is the best (as far as my game is, the only) example of this.

possible bugs I have found:

- when in a corner of a ship, if an alien is diagonal from you, you can see him, shoot him (with out pressing "ctrl" to "shot blind") but the shot always misses hitting the corner against you, even if the alien is right next to you.

- once happened to me: an alien ship appears. I intercept it. By the picture it is an abductor. Crashes down. I send the Skyranger... but then the mission is a Hybrid Fortress ¿? I can provide with a savegame if needed.

I will post more comments along my game. I am enjoying it a lot :)
cheers!

Offline quikesan

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: September 04, 2016, 06:08:51 pm »
oh! by the way. I checked and I have found few tech trees around, but I don't know which one is the most updated. Could you point me out to the last one?
cheers!

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: September 04, 2016, 06:46:59 pm »
There is a tech tree image in the FMP mod folder.

Offline quikesan

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: September 04, 2016, 07:00:46 pm »
one more thing: apparently now Aliens DO pick up weapons :P

I was doing some "morale training": after disarming every sectoid in a battleship, just two remaining, a leader and an navigator. The leader is surrounded by my unarmed soldiers, panicking them, and the navigator is just waking around unarmed, so, me not paying him any attention. Few turns later, he goes in the the ship, comes back armed with a heavy plasma.... hell happen against my men lol.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: September 04, 2016, 09:48:23 pm »
Never play with the aliens, else they might play with you and they play really mean :P (Also, it's totally immersion breaking for me, but to each their own)

niculinux

« Reply #2369 on: September 12, 2016, 01:18:23 pm »
Just chiming in here.  Kudos to Human Kthulu, for getting this off the ground and a working reality.  However, we are into the realm of "abandoned mod" (though we aren't really, because Solarius Scorch as done a great job of carrying the Torch and keeping it alive). 

I think in cases like these (Abandoned Mods), it makes sense to re-work the Opening Post so that it best reflects and supports the currently supported version of the mod.  It helps that you (Solarius) have moderator powers and can do this.  I would go so far as to support changing the ownership of Opening Posts in situations like this.  In this case, you could compromise and put HK's original post in spoilers, and rework the post.

An alternative is retiring the original thread, and starting a new one with the new owner.  An "(ARCHIVE)" tag might be enough to flag it as out of date, and allow the new one to carry in the current build).

Unfortunately, this situation is somewhat of a hazard of a community like this, as the human landscape varies according to people's interests and availability.  Not everyone can be a Hobbes. ;)

Or maybe closing this thread/linking it to a new one, with addad in the name (from version1.9.4 and up) for instance?