Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1603186 times)

Offline TheProfessional

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: [COMPILATION][RESEARCH] Final Mod Pack (FMP)
« Reply #2175 on: March 26, 2016, 09:34:29 am »
Doesn't have the Tactical Sniper Rifle only have an aimed shot, and a slow one too? In theory, heavy cannons are good for delivering exlosive or incendiary payloads in relatively close quarters, and Autocannons do the same with more spread and, I think, less explosion range?

Offline gix

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: March 26, 2016, 11:58:33 am »
Hi, Solarius
I thought the page would be down temporarily, but maybe I should edit that first post...

I'm not comfortable with it since it's not my post, but I guess it can't be helped. I'll wait a few more days though.
It's understandable, that's why I said in my line (will emphasize): 
YOUR first post
...which makes the thread's second post ;).

And a manufacture suggestion - all manufacture-able items (equipment for instance, don't know how the game will behave on a craft disassembly - probably won't like it) could be disassemble-able, in order to recover some goodies (e.g. alien alloys, grav modules, elerium)...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 12:07:52 pm by gix »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2177 on: March 26, 2016, 04:34:02 pm »
Doesn't have the Tactical Sniper Rifle only have an aimed shot, and a slow one too? In theory, heavy cannons are good for delivering exlosive or incendiary payloads in relatively close quarters, and Autocannons do the same with more spread and, I think, less explosion range?

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant, they're quite different weapons. The tac rifle can either be considered very good or useless, depending on your style.

Hi, SolariusIt's understandable, that's why I said in my line (will emphasize):   ...which makes the thread's second post ;).

OK :)

And a manufacture suggestion - all manufacture-able items (equipment for instance, don't know how the game will behave on a craft disassembly - probably won't like it) could be disassemble-able, in order to recover some goodies (e.g. alien alloys, grav modules, elerium)...

You already can get elerium from everything that contains it. Is there anything else you'd like to be recoverable?

Offline gix

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: March 26, 2016, 05:40:31 pm »
Hi, Solarius
You already can get elerium from everything that contains it. Is there anything else you'd like to be recoverable?
Maybe you want to recover/recycle some alien electronics from owned cyberdiscs or grav modules from obsolete armors...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: March 26, 2016, 08:44:25 pm »
Hi, SolariusMaybe you want to recover/recycle some alien electronics from owned cyberdiscs or grav modules from obsolete armors...

That's fairly easy to do, but is it worth cluttering the lists?

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)
« Reply #2180 on: March 27, 2016, 10:38:55 am »
Alright, so I beat the base assault. Lost 27 out of 36 soldiers. Lost a lot to the psi puppet theatre (featuring today - kill your friends in a orgy of madness, panic and mind control), then blaster bombing, then by miscaulculating how many aliens there were and subsequently walking into stupid ambushes of aliens who like to camp on second floors. Would have lost less if I didn't decide to do more captures at the end.

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Offline Glademist

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback to Final Mod Pack
« Reply #2181 on: March 27, 2016, 05:15:58 pm »
Hey everyone, i just discovered OpenXcom and with it the Final mod pack and played extensively while aging backwards to my childhood when i kicked the alien asses over and over again. And again. And then again once more. In ocean. Sick right?

Anyway i really ENJOY the mod and openXcom. I would like to post some feedback which sort of "ruined" some game moments.

1 - From time to time, at the game start i ran out of research projects. Basically before capturing my first live alien my scientists (50) were bored for a month almost. I might be the only loser who did not capture a live alien before he ran out of research projects. But maybe this could be solved by reevaluating research durations of certain items or adding a text note to some research texts "A live alien would help in understanding further technology".

2 - Weapons. I gained weapons like this and i think its WRONG. For a long time i had conventional weapons. Mostly rifles and shotguns which feel too powerfull and too precise compared to a best of the best in the world of rifles. After that i got the Cannon and Autocannon which i almost never use because Rifles and Shotguns. Tactical sniper rifle came and yes, it is great. But then i got Alien Laser rifle, Then i researched Laser rifles and i think Gauss rifles were researchable as soon as the laser rifles. So i built like 20 Laser rifles only to finish Gauss research one week later and switched all the laser weapons for GAUSS. Meh there needs to be something that prohibits from thinking about the Gauss weapons right after Elerium. Worst moment was, when i then discovered Nuclear Laser weapons which were Weaker then both the Laser and Gauss weapons. I might miss something here or maybe i was lucky, but i think the research tree should go from worst to best and in this case the player should discover Nuclear Laser, then laser, then after long time Gauss, then after long time Railguns / Plasma (i didnt get Plasma yet). Or maybe i miss some point? If Nuclear weapons arent dependable on Elerium then it needs to be more RARE. Since i sat on 2000+ Elerium (Veteran difficulty) long before i needed it. (Yeah i am not bad with rifles and Alloy clips)..

3 - Crafts and armaments. The crafts are simply a dissapointment for me. Just as it was with the original Firestorm back in 1994. Perhaps some tuning is in order. US airforce or any other would not implement a fighter that is not a generational leap from the last one. Going from Interceptor to Raven is a good solid advance. Problem with the craft weapons is that they have short range and the newer interceptors are then all the time in repair. In modern day with modular technology a repair to the crafts should either be much quicker, or made through available Engineers (can we do Interceptor repair just as we repair Personal armor??). Otherwise the short range weapons feel totally useless. I mean does anyone of you fly with laser or gauss cannon?

4 - Oh there should TOTALLY be a mention, that IRONFIST is not a GLOBAL craft and it cannot reach the other side of Earth on one tank. (Didnt get further down the tech tree yet). I mean from the Fuel tank its sort of evident, but i researched Ironfist only to go Quickly back to Skymarshall. Yes i operate mostly from one base so its MY fault. But if there was a mention that it cant fly anywhere i would build it at all. Missed a Terror mission in Brazil due to that :) (My main base is in Siberia).

These are just some notes that i would like to express on an otherwise great JOB on a great MOD that i VERY MUCH ENJOY. Thank you for reading.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: March 27, 2016, 06:47:26 pm »
Hey everyone, i just discovered OpenXcom and with it the Final mod pack and played extensively while aging backwards to my childhood when i kicked the alien asses over and over again. And again. And then again once more. In ocean. Sick right?

Yeah, that's our life.
Welcome on board, Glademist! (Are you a Fulletal Glademist by any chance?)

Anyway i really ENJOY the mod and openXcom. I would like to post some feedback which sort of "ruined" some game moments.

:'( I'll take it like a man.

1 - From time to time, at the game start i ran out of research projects. Basically before capturing my first live alien my scientists (50) were bored for a month almost. I might be the only loser who did not capture a live alien before he ran out of research projects. But maybe this could be solved by reevaluating research durations of certain items or adding a text note to some research texts "A live alien would help in understanding further technology".

Not a bad idea in general, but I find it hard to identify which points on the tech tree would benefit from this.

2 - Weapons. I gained weapons like this and i think its WRONG. For a long time i had conventional weapons. Mostly rifles and shotguns which feel too powerfull and too precise compared to a best of the best in the world of rifles.

well, they are supposed to be the best of the best, experimental X-Com weapons provided by who-knows-whom. it's reflected in the several classical weapons that also appear in the mod, like AK-47, which are invariably worse (maybe except Magnum, this baby is pretty savage).

After that i got the Cannon and Autocannon which i almost never use because Rifles and Shotguns. Tactical sniper rifle came and yes, it is great.

It's a matter of playstyle. I received feedback from many people regarding this, and everyone pointed to someone else as either useless or OP, so I'm inclined to just think that everything is fairly balanced at this point.
Besides, I didn't want to change vanilla weapons - rifles and cannons are exactly as in the original game. Shotguns are new, so we can discuss these.

But then i got Alien Laser rifle, Then i researched Laser rifles and i think Gauss rifles were researchable as soon as the laser rifles. So i built like 20 Laser rifles only to finish Gauss research one week later and switched all the laser weapons for GAUSS. Meh there needs to be something that prohibits from thinking about the Gauss weapons right after Elerium.

Yeah, it happens. Not necessarily, but these weapons are often discovered close to each other. But I'm not sure it's that bad, since there's always need for diversity.
Besides, Alien Laser Rifle sucks. Its only advantage is lightness, and that it's your first laser ever so you can... uh... kill Sectopods... Nevermind.

Worst moment was, when i then discovered Nuclear Laser weapons which were Weaker then both the Laser and Gauss weapons.

Eh?
They are way better than normal lasers.
Gauss weapons have more damage, yes, but it's AP damage which many aliens are resistant to. (They also need no clips, but that's another thing.)

3 - Crafts and armaments. The crafts are simply a dissapointment for me. Just as it was with the original Firestorm back in 1994. Perhaps some tuning is in order. US airforce or any other would not implement a fighter that is not a generational leap from the last one. Going from Interceptor to Raven is a good solid advance. Problem with the craft weapons is that they have short range and the newer interceptors are then all the time in repair. In modern day with modular technology a repair to the crafts should either be much quicker, or made through available Engineers (can we do Interceptor repair just as we repair Personal armor??). Otherwise the short range weapons feel totally useless. I mean does anyone of you fly with laser or gauss cannon?

I do, Plasma Beam is hard to get :)

Anyway, OXC doesn't allow for much fun with planes, so I did what I could. My X-Com Files mod - the next generation of FMP - will be more advanced, as it will be based on OXCE version, with more options.

4 - Oh there should TOTALLY be a mention, that IRONFIST is not a GLOBAL craft and it cannot reach the other side of Earth on one tank. (Didnt get further down the tech tree yet).

OK, I'll add it in the description.

I mean from the Fuel tank its sort of evident, but i researched Ironfist only to go Quickly back to Skymarshall. Yes i operate mostly from one base so its MY fault. But if there was a mention that it cant fly anywhere i would build it at all. Missed a Terror mission in Brazil due to that :) (My main base is in Siberia).

Well, you said it, that was your own choice :) I don't think having one base is a strategy worth tailoring the entire mod to, so I won't do that, sorry.

These are just some notes that i would like to express on an otherwise great JOB on a great MOD that i VERY MUCH ENJOY. Thank you for reading.

Thanks for your feedback!

Offline Glademist

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: March 28, 2016, 09:57:17 am »

Hi, thanks for reply. I am sorry if i felt offensive in my feedback i really appreciate all the work in the mod and would love to help if i ws capable. I was looking at the weapon research tree and maybe could invest some time and thought in it myself. Not to play smart.

I am not Fulletal Glademist - or it doesnt make sense to me. I made my nickname for a character in World of Warcraft in 2007.

It's a matter of playstyle. I received feedback from many people regarding this, and everyone pointed to someone else as either useless or OP, so I'm inclined to just think that everything is fairly balanced at this point.
Besides, I didn't want to change vanilla weapons - rifles and cannons are exactly as in the original game. Shotguns are new, so we can discuss these.

Oh thats true, it was just my point of view and i might have sounded like a moron. Its true. I saw many youtube videos where those HC and AC were used extensively and efficiently (think M.O.A.B.).

Yeah, it happens. Not necessarily, but these weapons are often discovered close to each other. But I'm not sure it's that bad, since there's always need for diversity.
Besides, Alien Laser Rifle sucks. Its only advantage is lightness, and that it's your first laser ever so you can... uh... kill Sectopods... Nevermind.
You are probably right. Maybe if i wasnt so lazy i would equip soldiers based on their stats or expected enemy encounter. For that i am lazy and uneducated. So maybe if i invested more time into reading the weapon descriptions i would loose less soldiers in the process.

Eh? They are way better than normal lasers. Gauss weapons have more damage, yes, but it's AP damage which many aliens are resistant to. (They also need no clips, but that's another thing.)
Oh i was sure there was something i missed. Must re read the description again. Sorry about that. And yes i didnt realize Gauss weapon is AP and working against armor. Sorry about that.

I do, Plasma Beam is hard to get :)
I will try then too!

Anyway, OXC doesn't allow for much fun with planes, so I did what I could. My X-Com Files mod - the next generation of FMP - will be more advanced, as it will be based on OXCE version, with more options.
Oh thats too bad then. It would make so much sense if you could repair planes with your engineers. Or i think so.

Well, you said it, that was your own choice :) I don't think having one base is a strategy worth tailoring the entire mod to, so I won't do that, sorry.
Oh i would not expect you to do that.

Thanks for your feedback!

I thank you for the MOD. And sorry for sounding like a moron probably. I will try to be more constructive and read more and use more of the options the mod and the game gives me. Thanks again for it.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: March 28, 2016, 07:46:30 pm »
Thanks for the response, Glademist. I actually agree with at least some of your points, but FMP is not supposed to be a total conversion mod, only a bit of enrichment of the vanilla game. I encourage you to wait for my next project, The X-Com Files, which will address some of the issues and make many of them irrelevant (it will be a very different experience and the mod will be much more malleable).

As for the Fullmetal Glademist (I made a typo before), it was a reference to Fullmetal Alchemist which is a badass manga. :)

Offline wortkarg

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: March 29, 2016, 01:38:54 pm »
Alright, so I beat the base assault. Lost 27 out of 36 soldiers. Lost a lot to the psi puppet theatre (featuring today - kill your friends in a orgy of madness, panic and mind control)
I have usually no problem with the base assault. 12-14 soldiers, soldiers with low psi strength have no weapon (only smoke grenades, motion scanner etc.). I use a lot of smoke grenades and dogs as scouts and lost max 2-3 soldiers. Aliens normally attack (psi) the soldiers with the lowest psi strength.

1 - From time to time, at the game start i ran out of research projects.
I have normally far too much research projects to research, never had such a problem.

2 - Weapons. I gained weapons like this and i think its WRONG.
I agree, that Gauss Rifles are better as Laser Rifles. Maybe a little more damage?
I was able to research Rail Weapons right after Gauss/Laser Weapons. Perhaps more dependencies for Rail Weapons in research tree?
Autocannon is good with HE Ammo, but the soldier must be a Schwarzenegger to carry such a weapon.
Flamethrower is well balanced. You can kill a cyberdisc or a reaper with one shot, but Flamethrower is a short range weapon and is not so good against some aliens.
Grenade launcher - very good (low TU cost, area damage, not so heavy as Autocannon).

3 - Crafts and armaments. ... Otherwise the short range weapons feel totally useless. I mean does anyone of you fly with laser or gauss cannon?
I agree, that the craft weapons are a little unbalanced.
Laser/Gauss Cannon - useless (short range, low damage).
Rail Cannon - very good (a way better as Laser/Gauss).
I go usually the way 2x Avalanche -> Avalanche/Rail Cannon -> Plasma Beam/Rail Cannon or Fusion Ball Launcher/Rail Cannon or Fusion Ball Launcher/Plasma Beam

4 - Oh there should TOTALLY be a mention, that IRONFIST is not a GLOBAL craft and it cannot reach the other side of Earth on one tank.
+1
I have already mentioned that Skymarshall is better as IRONFIST. Not only the fuel is the issue, but also the craft design (Skymarshall is a way better if you try to keep your soldiers alive).

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: March 29, 2016, 05:15:00 pm »
Ironfist changes incoming. :P

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: March 29, 2016, 07:43:35 pm »
I have usually no problem with the base assault. 12-14 soldiers, soldiers with low psi strength have no weapon (only smoke grenades, motion scanner etc.). I use a lot of smoke grenades and dogs as scouts and lost max 2-3 soldiers. Aliens normally attack (psi) the soldiers with the lowest psi strength.
Indeed, the "I screen everyone so they get great psi and then can give everyone weapons" is actually a worst tactic than keeping a few psi-weak soldiers to act as psi-rods. By having psi-weak soldiers get MC'd, you make the alien waste their TUs on getting a soldier which can't do much for them instead of attempting the low chance but high reward MC of a soldier with good psi and a weapon. There's a role for everyone, even if it is just to get your mind destroyed by aliens to save your pals from getting it..

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: March 30, 2016, 06:50:17 am »
Any suggestions regarding alien base raid? There's a Sectoid Base sitting pretty in Indonesia and insulting me with its very existance.

Tried a test raid on it and it started well, but eventually the aliens mind-raped and attritioned my team into submission.

I like how the new close combat weapons did nice. Minigun was great in close-quarters, flamers rock and stun rods are a great anti-cyberdisc solution for lightly armed soldiers.

Thinking about trying for real once I get the Skymarshal, Proximity Grenades and maybe Alloy Vests.

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #2189 on: March 30, 2016, 06:54:23 pm »
Any suggestions regarding alien base raid? .... it started well, but eventually the aliens mind-raped and attritioned my team into submission.

Did you bring some PSI lightning rods?  ie. soldiers with Weak PSI, to take the brunt of the enemy's mind attacks?  Just give them stun rods and medikits so they won't hurt anyone. :)