aliens

Author Topic: GitHub ?  (Read 19346 times)

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
GitHub ?
« on: June 20, 2010, 05:01:27 pm »
Hello,

First i would like to say that i don't have experience with git / github. I'm only used (in job and in home) svn. Anyway i see a trend in open source software to put their project in github. Apparently it allows easier branching / merging, multiple ppl can create their forks, add features, fix bugs and then ask you to merge them into main branch.

So maybe it should be considered? Maybe not now, but in future.

Maybe Serge could write more? He put Ufo2000 source in github.

Offline Eeyoocah5Moh

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: GitHub ?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 04:05:31 pm »
Really, git is much better than svn. And it is not hard to convert svn repository to git repository.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 05:55:52 pm »
I've been reading up and from what I can tell SVN uses a central repository while Git is distributed among users and it's kinda faster and stuffs.

I can see the appeal but I really like TortoiseSVN and Git doesn't seem to have a Windows equivalent, plus this is mostly a one-man ship so a central repository is fine, so for now I'm sticking with SVN. If Git becomes more user-friendly and better integrated later on I might switch, since Sourceforge seems to already support it.

Offline Eeyoocah5Moh

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 07:33:18 pm »
I can see the appeal but I really like TortoiseSVN and Git doesn't seem to have a Windows equivalent

TortoiseGit?

The real difference between centralized and distributed systems is that commiting changes and uploading them are separated. So you can commit even if you have not connection and upload then. In this case you commit in your local repository. Then you push your changes to remote repository on sourceforge.

In git (and mercurial, they are both distributed) it is easier to fork and merge. After someone clone remote repository, he can commit in his local repository and track his changes. And it is still possible to merge changes from remote repository. That way someone can maintain his patchset and use new code from main repository at the same time.

Offline serge

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 07:15:23 pm »
Maybe Serge could write more? He put Ufo2000 source in github.
The main ufo2000 repository is still using SVN. I only have set up automatic mirroring of it to github, just for convenience.

Offline sir_nacnud

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 01:09:42 am »
I just created a mirror of openxcom on github for use in my android port.  It doesn't contain anything from the branches or the tags directories.  I would like to create tags for the releases, though I was looking over the 0.1 tag and it appears the 0.1 was slightly modified after it was created.  If some knows what commit on trunk lines up with 0.1, let me know and I can add a 0.1 tag.

I will be keeping it up to date with changes that go in to the svn repo. Feel free to clone it.

https://github.com/sirnacnud/openxcom
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 01:13:47 am by sir_nacnud »

nominal

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 01:29:58 am »
I signed up just to chime in:

Pleeeaase move to github.  Windows support is getting better and better. It is a breeze for better collaboration - anyone can fork the project, make a patch, and then click a button to send the patch (pull request) for main repository to integrate.

Sourceforge and svn feels like mc hammer and vanilla ice is still popular. I don't want to wear hammer pants. :(

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 10:20:22 am »
I also think that switching to github would be good. I think that it could be done that way:

- official tree should be maintained by SupSuper and Daiky - they could work on it as now in svn
- everyone else could fork their own tree

Adding ability to forking is really good for contributors, like sir_nacnud - because he could commit to his tree small changes related to android port. After his tree would be stable, he could create a pull request to official tree - which could be merged by SupSuper.

Offline sir_nacnud

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 03:11:52 am »
I would support a switch to github as well.  It would really make the submitting changes a lot better.  The current method of uploading a patch to the forum is a pretty poor process.  With github someone would fork the repository, make their change, then submit a pull request.

Git is really a much better version control system then svn.  It is really nice to be able to create local branches for items you are working on and easily update them when you pull in other peoples changes.  With svn you have to make separate checkouts, it's a headache.  Tagging is also very easy with git.  You just create a tag at a particular revision, no need to check in a full copy of the source in to a tag folder.

If you are concerned with easy of use on Windows, I use git bash for my command line operations and git extensions for my GUI tool under Windows.  Git extensions is comparable to TortoiseSvn and could be used for all your git needs.

Offline panther

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 12:23:50 am »
Well, I too would favor github. :)

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 03:30:45 pm »
sir_nacnud, do you plan to use github for commiting your stuff? If so, how will you merge your changes to official svn later? Just prepare some big patch for SupSuper?

About that git extensions, looks like it also integrates with Visual studio:
Features
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 03:38:20 pm by michal »

Volutar

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 04:05:53 pm »
And no VS2003 support?..

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 04:08:19 pm »
But it also integrates with Windows Explorer, so in worst case you could use that with visual studio 2003.

Offline sir_nacnud

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 03:18:03 am »
sir_nacnud, do you plan to use github for commiting your stuff? If so, how will you merge your changes to official svn later? Just prepare some big patch for SupSuper?

I do plan on using GitHub for my repository.  The small changes that are independent of each other I can submit as patches.  Right now for the initial port there were only a handful of small changes.  There are no big changes.  As for what changes I make to the UI to be more finger friendly, I'm not for sure if we want those in the OpenXcom repository.  As of now I don't really see anything big that would need to be pushed up stream.

And no VS2003 support?..

Doesn't OpenXcom use Visual Studio 2008 on Windows?  If so, lack of support for 2003 shouldn't be a problem.

When I use Git Extensions on Windows, while I do development in Visual Studio, I don't use the Git Extensions plugin, I just use stand alone program.  I also use git bash for command line access. Git bash is part of MSysGit.  This is really nice for people who prefer using the command line.  It gives you a bash terminal and all the Unix/Linux commands.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 06:54:16 pm »
Git is currently undergoing a trial-run, if all goes well we'll be making this a permanent thing.