aliens

Author Topic: Animation speeds  (Read 10169 times)

Offline Echelon117

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: Animation speeds
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 06:35:28 am »
My game is definitely running a lot better now I applied the nightly build to it and changed the settings according to Warboys suggestions. SupSuper's video shows the game running pretty good. You know what it is, it's me being so used to Xcom CE with UFO extender installed that any tiny deviation away from its flawless performance and I'm dissatisfied. OpenXcom runs good now with the nightly build.

Thanks for the help guys

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2014, 06:48:46 am »
Good to know. :) Some people have pointed out to me people are probably used to the "hyper" speed the original runs at when played in DOSBOX/Extender (since it's running at a much higher clock than originally intended), so I've tweaked the options sliders to let you turn OpenXcom all the way up to 11 if that's your thing.

Offline shinr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2014, 03:05:52 pm »
Would it be possible to have a speed slider for pop-up screens?

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 05:48:05 pm »
Changing the speed of popups desyncs them from the sound and makes them feel weird.

Offline shinr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2014, 09:58:16 pm »
As you said, many are used to "Hyper" speed, and popups being faster than sound is not that weird, kind of like of (real-life) lighting.

Offline shinr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2014, 11:54:24 pm »
Sorry for double posting:

In vanilla UFO, the fire speed options also change the speed of the "hit-splash" animation (the animation that occurs after a projectile hits something); In OpenXcom, no matter the what speed of projectile is set on, the speed of hit-splash is still the same (Slow IMO), and the only way I found to make it slightly faster is to set the FPS limit to 0 (no limit).

And the same slowness applies to melee, explosions and psi-attacks.

And lastly, a question: You guys said that you used DOSBox as a reference for recreating vanilla speed, but what settings did you use? My own personal sweet spot was at around 40000 and 50000 set cycles for UFO and TFTD, respectively. Sure, some things became way too fast, but it was better than the frame-skipping that happened for cycles below those.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 12:00:52 am by shinr »