aliens

Author Topic: [TOTAL CONVERSION] The Piratez Mod - 0.9.j - 9 May - Holiday Edition  (Read 760993 times)

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] The Piratez Mod - 0.9.h - 1 May - Red Edition
« Reply #1200 on: May 06, 2015, 02:46:20 am »
Well, not on the save you have provided. You don't have the Broken Academy Medic researched (Mysteries -> Academy Medical Knowledge article not present), which is the last prerequisite missing to be able to research the Small Launcher. The Small Launcher itself isn't researched either.  Maybe it's wrong save?

Yes I see that but 2 things:

a)I have 3 medics and a broken medic in my second base (Puebla), and even though he is broken but he cant be researched. I broke him and gathered as many because I didnt knew if I can get anything out of them and the one I have is the second that I had forgetten I even have.
b)Another point of why I have the launchers researched is that when I did researched (the medic), it unlocked plasma weapon dissasembly as well which (as far as I know) I cant currently take from another source. So it might be something else.

EDIT: Try this save.
EDIT2: Broke one of the spares still no research. And bootypedia does show the damn thing.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 02:58:23 am by pilot00 »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1201 on: May 06, 2015, 03:03:02 am »
Well... you don't. You have 1 unbroken Medic at the 2nd base and that's it. And you can't have Plasma Weapons Disassembly on that save, since you haven't even started researching Lasers, much less Gauss. Plasma Disassembly is Gauss Disassembly + Small Launcher. Just to check, I've shipped that Medic to 1st base (no Workshop at the 2nd base), Interrogated, researched, got Small Launcher research opened up.

Seriously, we have to be talking about a different save.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: May 06, 2015, 03:06:02 am »
Yeah my mistake I got you a new one in my previous post.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1203 on: May 06, 2015, 03:08:04 am »
Yeah this one fits your description. Your 'missing' Small Launcher is in yer backpack, dood :)

Also the article you get after researching a broken Acd. Medic specifically says "there is no need to break any more Academy Medics for interrogation puproses".

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: May 06, 2015, 03:12:28 am »
Yeah this one fits your description. Your 'missing' Small Launcher is in yer backpack, dood :)

Also the article you get after researching a broken Acd. Medic specifically says "there is no need to break any more Academy Medics for interrogation puproses".

In the back....OH ffs...I thought if you remove them from.....FUCK. SORRY I AM A BIG IDIOT.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] The Piratez Mod - 0.9.i - 6 May - Tanks und Fashion
« Reply #1205 on: May 06, 2015, 04:16:38 am »
Have an upgrade then :) 0.9.i is up with a host of updates, like lots of new gfx, new tanks (including improved Reaper) and a couple of fun times for those who were whining that late game was too easy. More to come, probably :)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: May 06, 2015, 06:29:46 am »
I'll try it tomorrow! Just when my game is picking up. Got a big fat slow ship landed full of traders :D Should have built more vaults! But them brainers are so costly!

Your mod is a treat to play. You can guess where things are going in any variation of the original EU, but this? Pff! No guessing (see dynamite: I have to build it and then research it?!) Great work!

I'll work some more soon on the statstring, if I can resist the urge to plunder one more of 'em shipping!

One thing I noticed: In the cells, the button says "Execute!" but if you use it, you actually get your ransom money. I was very sad that my cells were overflowing and had to kill a bunch of hostages, but then found out that the gals actually just kicked them out and pocketed the money 8)

Maybe saying "Ransom!" would be better? It doesn't fit with the vanilla behaviour, but Piratez is intended to be played with selling live "aliens", so it would work better with the intended use.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #1207 on: May 06, 2015, 06:34:39 am »
Great idea, Arthanor!  I love the idea of the "Ransom" button! Sweet!

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1208 on: May 06, 2015, 07:12:21 am »
One thing I noticed: In the cells, the button says "Execute!" but if you use it, you actually get your ransom money. I was very sad that my cells were overflowing and had to kill a bunch of hostages, but then found out that the gals actually just kicked them out and pocketed the money 8)

Maybe saying "Ransom!" would be better? It doesn't fit with the vanilla behaviour, but Piratez is intended to be played with selling live "aliens", so it would work better with the intended use.

Frankly I had no idea what happens when this button is pushed, other than that the cells are emptied. So I went with a "neutral" Execute! wording (as in, Execute Orders! as well :) ) So you just get the money for selling 'em, and no booty?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: May 06, 2015, 05:23:01 pm »
Long post ahead!

Frankly I had no idea what happens when this button is pushed, other than that the cells are emptied. So I went with a "neutral" Execute! wording (as in, Execute Orders! as well :) ) So you just get the money for selling 'em, and no booty?

I'd have to double check, but I don't think you get booty, no (I am awfully short on traders' booty.. although hopefully when I am done plundering that big ship I'll have more  ;D). I was thinking that ransom was better than slaving (vaults aren't that expensive, a few G.O.s and you can build a new one), but I guess the goods you get out of the conversion might make it more worth it. I'll have to recheck.

You don't get booty (or anything but money) when you sell off your captures from the "Fence" menu either, right? I think that screen sells the captive if that option is enabled, otherwise it kills them and you'd get a body (although I'm not sure what a G.O. body would be good for, besides making soylent.  :o

More feedback:
Another word of praise: I think the idea of capturing and ransoming + slavery is great. It keeps "easy" enemies like G.O.s and Hostesses relevant and challenging after you can kill them easily, because now you try to catch them instead, which is a bit more risky than throwing a black powder bomb (which is AWESOME btw, probably my favorite Piratez weapon).

On the stats topic, I haven't made any progress on the statstring mod yet (too busy plundering), but I have a few more gals who made it to the 70s for firing accuracy. I was using the hammer on inaccurate melee soldiers (since you don't need melee accuracy) who happened to have decent shooting stats (but I own no good gun, so they get a pistol in the other hand for reaction training pot shots) and it boosts your firing accuracy rather well. Smash a few spines with a hammer and suddenly you can hit bullseye with a sniper rifle.

Speaking of which: The sniper rifle is REALLY accurate, and even better now that it gained a snap shot. I liked the idea before that the huge accuracy came at the cost of snap shots. It represented the required careful aiming to get that huge bonus. It made a good weapon to hang back and hit at long range where not having a snap shot for reactions did not matter since nothing would come within 20 tiles any ways. Now it completely overshadows scoped rifles for moving up with the gals since it can provide reaction shots and relatively accurate move & shoot as well. It now also works as what I understand a DMR is.

Maybe give it a minRange of ~15 to represent the careful aiming required? If something is too close, it's angular velocity relative to you is too large to really take advantage of the scope with the sniper rifle, so the accuracy would drop to something more similar to other rifles. I personally prefer sniper rifles to be rather high damage (to represent hits on vulnerable areas) rather than huge accuracy bonuses. Getting a sniper rifle doesn't make one a sniper, you need to be a really good shot first and then the rifle allows you to take full advantage of your skills by shooting people in the face from very far.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: May 06, 2015, 05:47:53 pm »
@Arthanor

If you want test subjects for really high accuracy and melee (100+) try the save I uploaded on the top of this page. Its a save scumming run I had been fidling with to learn a bit about the game, and its two years in with no casualties.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1211 on: May 06, 2015, 06:44:26 pm »
Dammit, I guess I cannot placate everyone :/ The sniper rifle *does* have a minRange of 15, but the accuracy drop isn't that significant it seems... :/ I will have to drop Snap Acc for all sniper rifles, or make them cost >50% TUs (not including scoped rifles).

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: May 06, 2015, 06:57:17 pm »
Did the bonny just turned green?

And there goes my plan to farm some crysalids :(
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 07:02:49 pm by pilot00 »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: May 06, 2015, 07:13:10 pm »
@pilot: Thanks, I might take a look at it to check the strings.

@Dioxine: Sorry, I have not yet played with the sniper rifle since the update. I restarted my game since I had missed pogroms and the only sniper rifle I have encountered so far has been destroyed by the brainers so I could get a scoped rifles. I just looked at their report and was surprised to see the snap shot.

For sniper rifles, I think two philosophies work:
- No snap shot, high accuracy bonus: It's a weapon that requires careful aiming and positioning. This incarnation is bad for NPCs though, since they don't shoot from outside of sight range which means they lose out on the main aimed shot benefit, and they don't have snap shots for reactions which means you can rush them without fear.

- Snap shot, min range with heavy penalty and either aimed shot with really high accuracy or high damage. If you tweak snapRange, you can create a band in which the rifle is effective. The hunting and scoped rifles could have lower min range, but slightly lower snap ranges too, whereas the sniper rifle could get a higher values, so both are effective at different things. For the sniper rifles, I think it is possible to go further than even 20 for min and snap ranges. It allows reaction shots while still not being great at it because you can only react within 20 tiles.

Also, it's ok if the sniper rifle is a better weapon than a scoped rifle since it is a more advanced weapon. But in this incarnation it is pretty much the best early gun. Good damage to hurt even targets in personal armor, ability to react, impressive accuracy as well and light to carry too (unlike say, the boarding gun which I also use often).

In general, I tend to dislike the large accuracy bonus idea because it makes every soldier off the street a decent shot and sniper should be a niche role. However, I think your previous sniper rifle was pretty much perfect for the first sniper philosophy and it was the first time I saw the large accuracy bonus and did not think it was a bad thing.

Even a 50% accuracy soldier gets a quite reliable 75% to hit when aiming which is quite good if they can still move around, but was compensated by the fact you were left totally exposed on the enemy turn. In vanilla XCom, shotguns and autoshot weapons at close range should be the guns for the rookies. Unfortunately in Piratez close range fire is hard to balance against melee and giving hammers is usually the best solution (except when the enemy is flying! As I discovered in my first pogrom, you can only swing that hammer so high).

Anyhow.. you did a great job with the weapons in general (especially differentiating all the melee options, which are all conceptually so similar). I'm sure you will find a good solution. Just some thoughts I had from working on the XAE with both laser and gauss rifle.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: May 06, 2015, 07:18:11 pm »
Snip

Very vallid points indeed. But I have a question out of curriosity: How many snipper rifles have you looted thus far? In my experimental run I havent found more than 3-4 in 2 years(in game). Which limits a bit manufacturing.

@Dioxine
Spoiler:
You have the faction leaders inside downed cruisers to spawn next to blown up engines so they end up dead or is it RNG going haywire at me?