aliens

Author Topic: Final battle too easy  (Read 21048 times)

Offline Angelus_EV

• Colonel
  • Trust no one
    • View Profile
Final battle too easy
« on: February 19, 2014, 10:13:28 am »
Idem, maybe you can inplement something like tftd final battle, maybe 4 or 5 aliens generating a power field over the main brain, and very aggressive.  Then you must kill all of them to finally kill the brain,  but if the brain have her own power field what must be fired 9 times to destroy it? Then final shoot!

Offline Svanh

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Final battle too easy
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 10:50:10 am »
A cool idea but the point of OpenXcom is to emulate the original while fixing a lot of the bugs and limitations. :)

Offline Angelus_EV

• Colonel
  • Trust no one
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 10:51:56 am »
I know, but can be a turn on/of feature in advaced settings

Offline Angelus_EV

• Colonel
  • Trust no one
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 07:28:00 pm »
and more! the mega brain its a master brain, isn't? the he can control your mind:

beginner:                           randomly if can see you face to face
experienced:                      randomly if any alien spot you
veteran:                             frequently
genius:                               very frequently
superhuman:                      almost all the time

or you can use "%" numbers

Offline Sean Mirrsen

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 09:25:40 pm »
I'm not sure how it actually works in OXC, but it sounds like beefing up the final mission is prime mod material. More and nastier aliens, harder tactical positioning, a number of innovative high-technology devices a-la "closed door" to prevent people from blaster-bombing their way through, and of course the Master Brain should probably be given a whole lot of psionic potential.

Offline Angelus_EV

• Colonel
  • Trust no one
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 09:37:08 pm »
Yea, takes a lot of effort to get there and then the last battle is too short and easy,  i love the original xcom,  i played 1.0 1.2 and 1.4 even in black and white monitor at my first pc,  the opportunity to improve the game is great,  do it please

Offline Svanh

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 02:16:59 pm »
I'm not sure how it actually works in OXC, but it sounds like beefing up the final mission is prime mod material. More and nastier aliens, harder tactical positioning, a number of innovative high-technology devices a-la "closed door" to prevent people from blaster-bombing their way through, and of course the Master Brain should probably be given a whole lot of psionic potential.

At the moment the Brain is just a set of scenery pieces put together. You can mod extra aliens with better weapons in by editing the deployment definitions in the ruleset but changing the map blocks requires a program like Mapview and would also affect standard alien bases. The final mission is randomly made anyway so tactical positioning wouldn't change much but you could increase the size of the map (deployment and/or mission definitions) to make it harder.

You only thing you couldn't really do with ruleset modding is making the Brain do something.

Hope this helps you with the mod.  :)

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 03:44:01 pm »
You could make a 2x2 brain alien that is blocked in from all sides rendering it unable to move.
Then give it Psionic powers double that of an Ethereal commander, lots of HP and armour... ^^

And make a rule set that if it dies all aliens die and trigger the end scene... ;)

Offline Sean Mirrsen

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 04:01:18 pm »
You could make a 2x2 brain alien that is blocked in from all sides rendering it unable to move.
Then give it Psionic powers double that of an Ethereal commander, lots of HP and armour... ^^

And make a rule set that if it dies all aliens die and trigger the end scene... ;)
Even easier, make it a 2x2 alien with no energy (so it can't move even if it has TUs) that explodes on death with more force than a Blaster Bomb, destroying the actual Brain that's a normally indestructible piece of scenery right behind the creature!Brain.

Offline Angelus_EV

• Colonel
  • Trust no one
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 04:04:13 pm »
is soo good to see ppl interested in this topic

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 04:05:35 pm »
Even easier, make it a 2x2 alien with no energy (so it can't move even if it has TUs) that explodes on death with more force than a Blaster Bomb, destroying the actual Brain that's a normally indestructible piece of scenery right behind the creature!Brain.

I'm not against it, but remember than a zero energy brain (or a trapped brain) will still be able to turn around. Which might actually be cool, but it'll be a hell of a work - 2x2 unit sprites are bitches to work with, much less to create!

Offline Sean Mirrsen

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 04:09:38 pm »
I'm not against it, but remember than a zero energy brain (or a trapped brain) will still be able to turn around. Which might actually be cool, but it'll be a hell of a work - 2x2 unit sprites are bitches to work with, much less to create!
There's an easy workaround for this, mind.

Let it turn around all it wants. And leave all sprites the same. It will turn around, in principle - but the player will never see it.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 04:10:55 pm »
There's an easy workaround for this, mind.

Let it turn around all it wants. And leave all sprites the same. It will turn around, in principle - but the player will never see it.

Hmm, true... :P

Offline KiethSomataw99

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 06:14:17 pm »
I believe the final battle should have a larger number of aliens as well as more variety. I believe that the first stage of the mars assault should not only include sectoids and cyberdiscs, but floaters and reapers. Also, for the base in mars, I believe that it should have all aliens and terror units present in the game: sectoids, floaters, snakemen, ethereals, mutons, cyberdiscs, reapers, chryssalids, sectopods, celatids, and silacoids.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 05:46:13 pm »
I believe the final battle should have a larger number of aliens as well as more variety. I believe that the first stage of the mars assault should not only include sectoids and cyberdiscs, but floaters and reapers.

I don't know about reapers in low-pressure-environments... then again, sectoids are pretty silly in that setting, too. If we want it to make sense, I'd go for cyberdiscs, sectopods, floaters and silacoids in the mars-surface-battle. those are the aliens that I'd believe to survive that environment.
...also, we should disallow anything below power-armor for the xcom soldiers ;)