Author Topic: v1.0  (Read 19882 times)

Online Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: v1.0
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2014, 07:32:32 pm »
Another way is to abandon original basic resolution (only for software at least).
Will be only two options, resolution and pixel size. Pixel size can be any number that is divisor of both screen sizes.
Basic resolution will be screen size divided by pixel size.

volutar

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2014, 07:35:24 pm »
Abandon is not an option. Long term isn't an option. Unclear terms with formulas referenced to other values are also not an option.
Clear, simple, and easily translatable short terms - that's  an option.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 07:52:00 pm by volutar »

Offline Tarvis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2014, 07:59:50 pm »
Another way is to abandon original basic resolution (only for software at least).
Will be only two options, resolution and pixel size. Pixel size can be any number that is divisor of both screen sizes.
Basic resolution will be screen size divided by pixel size.
The problem with that is that many areas (such as the Geoscape) look terrible with expanded view because the menus and assets are made for 320x200. (See attached) The battlescape is more or less the only place where an expanded view looks fine. The game is made for 320x200 - that should not be abandoned.

Thing is - "original" doesn't mean much. 320x200/480x300/640x400 means exact and fixed resolution, and "scaling" using stretching algorithm. "Expanded" - meaningful term, but it makes this line too long. And we're short on space.
My view is that the end user doesn't need to know that Original is 320x200. All they need to know is that it's the default, unaltered view of the game, and that Expanded lets them view more than that.

Also, in my case, I said that "Zoom 2x" would be stripped from the title in the dropdown menu and put into its own slider. That way there's room for "Expanded" alone.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 08:09:04 pm by Tarvis »

volutar

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2014, 09:07:50 pm »
The problem with that is that many areas (such as the Geoscape) look terrible with expanded view because the menus and assets are made for 320x200. (See attached) The battlescape is more or less the only place where an expanded view looks fine. The game is made for 320x200 - that should not be abandoned.

Disagree. Geoscape looks perfect in 480x300 (The only thing is unstretched space background - but it's not too hard to stretch it). Though Basescape is indeed, too spacey. And I'd prefer Basescape to have it's own resolution.

My view is that the end user doesn't need to know that Original is 320x200. All they need to know is that it's the default, unaltered view of the game, and that Expanded lets them view more than that.
Unaltered?? SO why are we bothered with all these options? Let it be 640x400 zoom x2 like in version 0.3.

End user doesn't know what's ORIGINAL. He knows what's 320x200. It's the lowest possible.

Also, in my case, I said that "Zoom 2x" would be stripped from the title in the dropdown menu and put into its own slider. That way there's room for "Expanded" alone.

No you can't do that, because there's no space for anything else, even Basescape selector can't be fit.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2014, 03:11:05 am »
Locking this as it's gone way off track and quite heated.

Feel free to start a new thread if you want to discuss screen scaling, and I do mean discuss, not argue.