aliens

Author Topic: [WIP] GURPS Ultratech weapons  (Read 8371 times)

Offline Talonos

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
[WIP] GURPS Ultratech weapons
« on: January 25, 2014, 05:29:00 am »
I'm trying to extend the tech tree by adding a bunch of new weapons. Anybody familiar with GURPS Ultratech will recognize them. I hope to add many new guns, but I will post screenshots when I make a new match. If I get bored of the project before I finish, I'll release whatever I have.

Here are some early-game ranged stun weapons, more easily researched than lasers, and made obsolete by the small launcher. Too bad due to a current bug, they all look like they blow up when they hit somebody. Hope that gets fixed in a future release:

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [WIP] GURPS Ultratech weapons
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 05:21:49 pm »
This is a worthwhile addition and I'll certainly try it out. However, I think these weapons really need new sprites instead of a simple recolouring, as of now it looks confusing and awkward. Also, I'm not sure if you need all three weapons in the game.

Another thought struck me: if it's a stunning weapon, then perhaps it could be research after normal lasers? A Stun Launcher is still better as it is an area effect weapon, but on the other hand it needs expensive ammo.

Lastly, I really like these recolours. :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 08:52:23 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Talonos

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 06:10:08 pm »
Thanks!

I could introduce them after other laser weapons, certainly, but it would break the "real life" tech tree. The US military is already using (link) large electrolasers. (Not as stun weapons, but to detonate stored explosives in warehouses in Afghanistan.) This uses the same technology, just smaller than we currently have it. I don't think near-infrared lasers are currently used, though I could be wrong. It's not like the military always tells us what its doing.  ::)

The benefit to switching them anyway is that I wanted the electrolasers to be weaker than their counterparts. That means, right now, the electrolasers have to be weaker than the conventional weapons (rifle, pistol, etc.) If they come after laser weapons, then I can make them more damaging, but weaker than their laser counterparts.

Finally, the recolors: I'm considering having all the "laser" weapons have the same shape, but each tier of the laser tech tree would be a different color. I was hoping "blue for electrolaser, red for normal laser," and so forth. To do that, I needed to take the lasers and "standardize" them. I swapped the colors of the heavy laser and laser pistol to match the laser rifle, then took all the red parts of all three weapons and made them blue. Do you think that'll be too confusing? (If so, I'll need to find a good sprite artist. I'm pretty good with small tweaks and recolors, but I can't just make new weapons from scratch...)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 08:55:49 pm »
The latest developments in warfare never cease to amaze me.

All right, I get the reasoning behind this. Still, I really think you need new sprites, not just recolours. Despite the same (laser) technology it's based on, this is a different type of weapon and probably looks different. I realize it's not convenient, but making new weapons isn't that hard (just time consuming) and will certainly boost this mod's popularity.

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 08:26:58 pm »
I agree with Solarius Scorch, about the new sprites.

Other than that i think is great, i was thinking of something similar. good fluff text also, if you don't mind i might be able to use it :) in my little mod :)

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 09:19:57 pm »
Here are some concepts, based on the rulebook (page 116)

Offline Talonos

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 07:19:49 am »
Oh my goodness. You. Are. My. Hero.

I tried making my own sprites, and found that it was hard *and* time consuming. Here's what I've got. I'm using yours instead, so if anybody else wants mine, it's public domain, I guess. I'll keep working on this. Ever since the most recent update (came out today) I can keep working since bug 457 was fixed.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 02:53:35 am »
Updated, with held graphics for the pistol and rifle.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 09:54:18 pm »
Handob for the heavy electrorifle.
The other file is a 3-layer GIF that I used to draw the weapons. (Top row is the new electrolaser weapons, bottom row is one of the stock pistols and rifle for reference)