Author Topic: UFO2000 Needs Players  (Read 49348 times)

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: UFO2000 Needs Players
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2015, 10:41:26 pm »
Let me put it that way: compiling the server was never a problem - only the client. And if I do it via svn-downloaded sources, it does compile - but not run. I already asked serge for help. Maybe I'm doing something fundamentally wrong, but I don't think so.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2015, 11:01:17 pm »
I'm at the server, if anyone wants to play a game.

EDIT: here's a replay of Hobbes vs hellrazor

« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 12:29:07 am by Hobbes »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2015, 01:26:53 am »
Nice match Hobbes :)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2015, 05:11:41 pm »
Hellrazor vs jukebox

Offline Jstank

• Colonel
  • 100% Un-Professional XCOM Lets Player
    • View Profile
    • FINAL MOD PACK LP OUT SOON NOW RECRUITING! SIGN UP TODAY!
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2015, 06:42:30 pm »
Thats not downloading on my machine  :'(

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2015, 07:23:36 pm »
Thats not downloading on my machine  :'(

I could sent it to you by other means :>

Offline Qpoter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2015, 03:37:28 am »
Holy crap, did this thread go while I was dead! Well, it's really nice to see people taking an interest in UFO2k again. I might get around to playing a game sometime soon.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2015, 08:15:49 am »
I downloaded both the replays but I have no idea where to place them for UFO2000 to detect them. Where do they go?

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2015, 09:58:44 am »
Root-Folder of your ufo2k-installation, if you play under windows. Under Linux I still didn't get a chance, as it refuses to start without the lua-error.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2015, 08:36:02 pm »
Ah ok there we go. The Hellrazor vs Jukebox refuses to load. It's saying something about the replay being recorded on an older version or something.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2015, 10:01:44 pm »
Yes, that's some problem you will always have, if the recording version is different than yours. As well you will only see players with your version of the game on the server. Everybody with a different version is simply not displayed. Those two are the main reasons, why it is usually kind of necessary to have the latest version running. Not really because of new features or bug fixes, but for having the same version as everyone else.

I was thinking: How about an ufo2000-saturday, or something like that? I was thinking about the whole saturday, 0 AM +12 to 24:00 PM -12. Advertisement: If it's saturday, connect to the server! If everybody takes at least one hour waiting there, it's likely there will be at least one other player at any given time on that day, giving everybody the chance, to play xcom against a real opponent. It sure would need some advertising, but maybe, if promoted enough, the game would get rolling again... I believe, the infrastructure is available.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 10:10:58 am by 7Saturn »

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2015, 11:35:19 am »
So the way I see it, the match-activity from march as melted down to almost zero, again. If I have a look on the played-games-list, there hasn't been much activity the last weeks. But I noticed, that there are indeed others, wanting to play, as there is very often the notification that $anotherplayer was there, less than a day ago. Last thing I remember, is an idea of advertising ufo2000 at the mod-page. @Jo5hua: Is your offer still standing, to do some promotion via the mod-site? I believe, the game would need a little promotion at this point.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2015, 07:38:43 pm »
I know Game-Ranger has an optional setting where it brings up a comic-book style speech-bubble whenever someone creates a room for a game you have. I think if this mod did something similar ("A game has just been created!") it would help spur more people when they know that someone is at that moment looking to play.

I know the FPS source-port Zandronum organizes weekly events at specific times of a particular day so everyone can have some consistency in the scheduling. Perhaps if we did the same it would help more games get played.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2015, 03:52:11 pm »
I know Game-Ranger has an optional setting where it brings up a comic-book style speech-bubble whenever someone creates a room for a game you have. I think if this mod did something similar ("A game has just been created!") it would help spur more people when they know that someone is at that moment looking to play.
Would also be nice for me. During the last few days, I looked on the server pretty much every day. Only once there where 2 players engaged into battle. Aside from that, most of the time there was somebody there, a few hours up to 1 day ago. So there are in fact players, but they fail to meet each other... Would be a nice feature. A simple server-query would be sufficent. On the other hand, if everybody only lurks by this method, nobody ever connects to the actual server, meaning, nobody ever will see someone in game ranger... The most efficient way is, to be on the ufo2000-server.
I know the FPS source-port Zandronum organizes weekly events at specific times of a particular day so everyone can have some consistency in the scheduling. Perhaps if we did the same it would help more games get played.
That was what I had in mind with my idea from above.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 12:18:08 pm by 7Saturn »

Offline Jo5hua

• Captain
  • ModSite
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2015, 03:24:47 am »
So the way I see it, the match-activity from march as melted down to almost zero, again. If I have a look on the played-games-list, there hasn't been much activity the last weeks. But I noticed, that there are indeed others, wanting to play, as there is very often the notification that $anotherplayer was there, less than a day ago. Last thing I remember, is an idea of advertising ufo2000 at the mod-page. @Jo5hua: Is your offer still standing, to do some promotion via the mod-site? I believe, the game would need a little promotion at this point.

Sent PM.