aliens

Author Topic: Random events (idea)  (Read 2988 times)

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
Random events (idea)
« on: December 12, 2013, 06:22:48 pm »
An idea for variety.
Anybody else feels like the Geoscape is a bit empty, with only "new UFO sighted" happening over time ?

I wondered a bit about random events that could spice up the monotony, like "Luck" card in monopoly. They could be good or bad surprises, or things that can be turned to your advantage if you adapt your plans accordingly.
Here are some that don't need deep UI or engine change, nothing more complicated than a message and aletering the existing game state :
- Accidental damage on a Hyperwave decoder or Mind shield brings it back to construction state, with 7 days remaining. This can really spice up the later game if a base is suddenly blind or vulnerable to UFO assault again.
- Theft in a XCOM store. Usually only a time/money annoyance, but be wary of systematically selling all-but-one unresearched alien artefacts.
- A funding country has a volunteer soldier to propose (one free soldier on its way, you'll pay him normally each month).
- Personal defection : a few searchers or engineers didn't report this morning. This may look like 'just a time/money loss', but if the living quarters were full, you can consider buying other category of personal instead.
- Opportunity hires : 5 searchers or engineers are available at a discount, or a known soldier is on the job market - you can see his stats up front, but if you want him, it's "now".
- Unexpected advance on a research topic that you weren't actively working on. I like the effect that it gives a veteran player a reason to break from his optimal research order.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 06:24:32 pm by yrizoud »

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
Re: Random events (idea)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 07:28:07 pm »
I like the idea of random events - but I guess things like that would only be possible if there was some kind of scripting involved. right?

that being said, if there was some way to easily mod in random geoscape events, one thing I'd like to see is the "random UFO crash" event that was introduced by xcomutil (was that xcomutil? I'm not sure). with a certain chance, any UFO that flies across the globe would crash (either just like that, or because perhaps it was shot down by a very lucky fighter pilot :) ), giving you a free crashsite to try and loot. maybe the chance to crash could be inversely proportional to the size of the UFO, so you don't get crashed battleships easily ;)