aliens

Author Topic: [INVENTORY] Quick-Draw Hip Slot  (Read 15953 times)

Offline Arpia

• Colonel
    • View Profile
[INVENTORY] Quick-Draw Hip Slot
« on: December 08, 2013, 10:13:47 pm »
What is this mod?:
Adds a quick-draw holster to the soldier inventory space.
Allowing fast access from holster-to-hand [0-TUs] and hand-to-holster [2-TUs]
Ideal for medkits and sidearms.

-- Layout A uses space from the belt (does not give extra inventory) --
-- Layout B adds the holster as extra space (in addition to everything else) --

How to Install a ruleset/mod:
- download your mod containing the ruleset (OXC Quickdraw/Quickdraw.rul in this case)
- move the relevant .rul into the OpenXComs Ruleset folder. Move any extra resources into the Resources folder.
- make sure to update your options.cnfg by adding the name of the new ruleset at the bottom/end like so:
  '  - QuickdrawA' and save changes.

Notes:
- there is a general problem with accessing the inventory screen from the equipcraft/basescape.
  It corrects itself once you get into a mission, you can also try making the craft refuel.
  It's not game breaking/doesn't cause a crash so you shouldn't need to worry.

Feel free to use/reuse/spread/change/include/pumpkin this mod any way you see fit.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 03:28:38 am by Arpia »

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [Inventory] Quick-Draw Hip Slot
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 12:45:50 am »
Suggestion: It would perhaps be a good idea to rename the slot "Holster". Should be a bit more obvious.

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 03:51:16 am »
Great idea! The holster being on the right side would make sense for leftys right? I'm a lefty(yay), but I've never looked this up, though I'm sure you use your left hand to pull the weapon out from your right hip.

Offline EchoFourDelta

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 08:02:22 am »
Great idea! The holster being on the right side would make sense for leftys right? I'm a lefty(yay), but I've never looked this up, though I'm sure you use your left hand to pull the weapon out from your right hip.

Nah, you wear on your strong side or centerline (with the barrel pointed away from strong side) so that you can present vertically or at the index. Crossdrawing wheels the weapon across the horizontal, and if you're drawing quickly with intent to fire, you're making the job more difficult since most targets are far taller than they are wide. If you're basically squeezing down as soon as the barrel clears the holster, you can start opening up as soon as you have the weapon on axis with the target and simply walk fire up the target's body, as opposed to having a fleeting shot as your arm swings past it horizontally, and potentially overshooting the target's body.

Offline blackwolf

• Colonel
  • im back...i guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 01:20:44 am »
hi arpia! nice job its wonderfull but i have a mistery error using this...i dont know how to explain better except posting a pic,i can't move all my medikits when i put then up in my transports...no matter what i do...they are in a inaccesible "inventory slot" i guess.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 07:07:44 am »
i guess that one's a coding error. the auto-equip stuff uses a bunch of hard-coded settings, including the extreme right side of the belt for medkits.

Offline blackwolf

• Colonel
  • im back...i guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 09:13:31 am »
well i supposed it was something about the autoequip...its a lame...i really want to try this...but making the autoequip features enable...would make us equipping all the stuff again like the old ufo eu right?
(sorry my english >_<)

Offline blackwolf

• Colonel
  • im back...i guess
    • View Profile
Re: [INVENTORY] Quick-Draw Hip Slot
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 02:28:17 pm »
thanks arpia!working smooth now  ;D
except for that little annoying thing of  sometimes not being capable of access inventory screen on base  ::)

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 07:30:15 pm »
you shouldn't run into any further auto-equip problems, the hard coding has been replaced by iteration.

Offline blackwolf

• Colonel
  • im back...i guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 11:28:53 pm »
thanks warboy....arpia....could you post the original mod desing?...you know that with the q-d spot in the belt  ::)???

Offline Arpia

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 12:55:00 am »
oh awesomes! yeah I'll do that, originally I didn't want to give any extra space. even if it was only 2. but since the belt needed to be left alone, it didn't make much sense taking it from somewhere else. I did contemplate stealing a column from the backpack... But I think that would have annoyed people >.>

anyway! shouldn't take long.
...maybe I should leave the current one up there too. Pro-choice.

Offline blackwolf

• Colonel
  • im back...i guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 01:51:39 am »
well cutting two slots from the backpack would have been a strange solution x'D
and yeah thats fair  ;D

Offline Arpia

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 03:31:08 am »
Updated.

Offline MKSheppard

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 06:44:11 am »
Suggestion:

Include this in the default OXCOM install rulesets! It's actually kind of useful; in that it makes pistols or knives kind of useful in that if you run out of TU for a bigger weapon, you can quickdraw a pistol and shoot.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 03:08:56 pm »
I dunno if it's that great as to include in default, it makes the inventory screen look uglier. Besides, in vanilla it's only 4 TUs to 'quickdraw' a pistol/knife from a belt slot. Sure it's not instawin like in this mod because it's realistic - it takes more than crazy zero time, but it saved my soldier's ass more than once still.

I like the mod, but not enough to condone putting it in the basic build, even as an option.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 03:10:48 pm by Dioxine »