aliens

Author Topic: [HWP] Scout Drone  (Read 37088 times)

Offline Arpia

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [HWP] Scout Drone
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2014, 02:40:05 pm »
been a while since I've even touched this to be honest.
I don't remember its 'corpse' having an icon... maybe that's problem - since there's no image it's just assigning that 'cup' thing instead.
the spritework isn't my area of expertise so I'd just be reusing the smokelauncher icon as the corpse icon. unless someone wants to make a corpse BigOb??

the killed/destroyed... I imagine that is because of the way the game handles things. 1x1 units are not seen as 'tanks' so the unit is classed as 'killed' instead of 'destroyed'
but. stuff has changed and been optimised a whole bunch since I dabbled with rulesets, so I could/should probably make a new set.
but as always, this and any other thing with my name on it is open to be used and changed and spread if you want to try and fix it for yourself.

-Harpy-

Offline XCOMFan419

• Colonel
  • Wait I'm still here I swear
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2014, 11:42:58 pm »
Noticed a little bug when I enter combat with more than required Smoke Grenades for the scout drone while testing out TDS. I imagine it's because when there's more than 6 smoke grenades for one drone, which was at my base when the aliens attack, their nature is to be on the ground. However, since there is no FLOOROBJ, then the game crashes.

Or at least that's my theory :P

Let me explain. My base was being attacked by aliens, and I had 100 smoke bombs and one Scout Drone. The game crashed. At first I thought it was the Waspite aliens, but then I realized they were working perfectly fine, alongside the Scout Drone in regular combat. I loaded up a pre-battle save and sold all but six of the smoke bombs. The game didn't crash and the Scout Drone was there in the base.

EDIT:

They attacked the same base twice in a row and the Scout Drone had less than six smoke bombs and the game crashed. Seems as if the thing isn't suitable for Base Defence :P
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 12:00:55 am by XCOMFan419 »

Offline Arpia

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2014, 11:54:56 pm »
-_-' I imagine it's more case of 1x1 units aren't considered "hwp's" thus their ammo should be accounted for with a floorob like regular weapons. if it was treated like a tank... tank weapon ammo dont have floorob's ...hence why the drone never had one to begin with I imagine... probably...

if I were to redesign the ruleset which I really probably should... *sighs* I'd probably remove the need to load ammo and just make the launcher clipless like lasers are.
...well... actually to make it a little more chaotic I'd probably make the smoke cloud smaller and make it shoot 3/4 pellets at once with the shotgun ruleset
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 11:57:07 pm by Arpia »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2014, 01:33:55 am »
Try this code:

Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_SCOUT_DRONE
    size: 6
    costBuy: 200000
    costSell: 140000
    transferTime: 72
    weight: 10
    bigSprite: 90
    bulletSprite: 3
    fireSound: 72
    compatibleAmmo:
      - STR_SCOUT_SMOKE
    accuracySnap: 100
    tuSnap: 20
    battleType: 1
    fixedWeapon: true
    arcingShot: true
    invWidth: 2
    invHeight: 3
    listOrder: 1090
  - type: STR_SCOUT_SMOKE
    size: 0.1
    costBuy: 100
    costSell: 50
    transferTime: 48
    weight: 0
    bigSprite: -1
    floorSprite: 12
    power: 55
    clipSize: 6
    damageType: 9
    battleType: 2
    maxRange: 3
    listOrder: 1091

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2014, 02:31:52 am »
I reworked this quite a bit in an effort to remove the "clip" issue.  I configured it like the Laser Tank w/o another weapon. 

I also changed the BulletSprite back to a vanilla  as Falko's mod tester kept flagging it.

I also tried to put the UfoPedia Back image in the rules, but it flags as wrong pallet.  I haven't tested it, and it may be an easy fix.

(Edit: this is based on the Scout Drone that Ryskeliini packaged in his Guns & Gadgets Pack.)

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2014, 05:29:37 am »
I also changed the BulletSprite back to a vanilla  as Falko's mod tester kept flagging it.
The modtester is not the standard for mods and errors/warnings there are not always a problem in your case it sees a projectile sprite with 9 different projectiles - thats unusual but not "wrong"
so with a ruleset like this
Code: [Select]
#  - type: Projectiles
    height: 27
    width: 105
    subX: 3
    subY: 3
    files:
      385: Resources/ScoutDrone/ProjectileSprite.png
the file ids are filled with projectiles from 385 to 700 so you can use bulletSprite ids 11-20 its a bit of waste if you only use one projectile of the 9 but its not really wrong

Offline pkrcel

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2014, 01:09:05 pm »
Does killing a drone incur a morale hit like for the tanks?

Offline Arpia

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2014, 02:56:01 pm »
I'd have to check but i'm 90% sure it affects morale on death.
the game seems to consider single tile units as people rather than tanks... so if it died, it'd have the same affect as a rookie being killed.
though I'm pretty sure thats what happens when a tank dies aswell...

-Harpy-

Offline pkrcel

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2014, 04:02:52 pm »
I was asking just like for that very reason...I already find alittle senseless that a tank destoried incurs a morale hit since it is an automated drone, but I explain that to myself thinking that the HWP is sturdy and a sodlier seeing that destroyed may REALLY worry about his fate in battle.....but the scout drone giving a morale hit equal or even greater than the tanks does not suit me well, since I think of it as a disposable device (as it SHOULD be also by my squaddies  ;D ).

Anybody knows a way to have it NOT affect morale? like say, a dead civilian in terror missions?  :P

Offline Arpia

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2014, 04:12:43 pm »
dont get it shot? :P
for for more theory you could also say... it's a tool that gives you an edge over the aliens, losing it means that the squadies have to venture into that deep darkness blind... thats pretty daunting when only moments before you could see what was out there lurking in the shadows... now its your turn to step into the waiting jaws of some depraved alien machination waiting to slap your body on a table and strip the skin from your bones and find out what it is that makes you tick just so they can use it against it in more despicable ways... *cackles maniacally and sinks back into a dark corner...*

o_O sorry... got a bit carried away there O_O

Offline pkrcel

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2014, 05:21:33 pm »
Rationalization beyond reason always works   :o

But I was looking for some pragmatims  :P

By the way, hving the scout drone shot should BOOST morale: "Oh thank god we brought that little bastard to be shot instead of our sorry a--es!"

j/k of course.  ;D ;D

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2014, 01:44:56 am »
In other news, I make a dirty job of a bigob for the drone corpse. :P

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: [HWP] Scout Drone -what happens to a stunned scout drone??
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2014, 10:48:40 pm »
Errr... what happens to a stunned scout drone?? 

The scenario is this:  The drone scoots up next to a building and then a friendly sectoid walks off the roof and lands on the mechanical marvel.  "Scout Drone has become unconscious" flashes on the screen.  ET walks away, the drone recovers his senses and continues on with the mission. 

Would that cause any adverse effects? ie.. attempting to drop the smoke popper, etc?

Cheers, Ivan :D

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2014, 11:47:25 pm »
Super Sectoid Brothers.

Offline Arpia

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2014, 11:52:50 pm »
is this hypothetical? or did it actually happen to you? because honestly... I have no idea. I dont think the drone can be stunned... so it'd probably be destroyed if anything... i think... o_O