Author Topic: Graphical Issue  (Read 10584 times)

Offline CoolKid

• Captain
    • View Profile
Graphical Issue
« on: November 27, 2013, 01:44:12 am »
The game color changed after finished researched something. it look weird. It restore to normal after closing the research screen. It happen occasionally~often. it not a big deal though. but still it would be nice if it fixed. Version git 24-11-2013

EDIT: This also happen when finished manufacturing and bought items arrived
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 05:11:45 am by CoolKid »

Offline Tarvis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Graphical Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 07:56:23 pm »
For future bug reports, you'll have to be more specific than "it look weird." Do all of the colors look wrong, like a rainbow?

If so, go into the options and change the Video Filter to one of the OpenGL ones. Try Quilez or Pixellate to keep the original look.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 11:43:12 pm »
He's probably referring to this, I'm investigating it: https://openxcom.org/bugs/openxcom/issues/410

Offline CoolKid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 02:28:46 pm »
go into the options and change the Video Filter to one of the OpenGL ones.

I tried to use all the Open GL and they gave me the white screen. Thankfully this can be restored by editing conf file in my document\openxcom. I think my ancient laptop cant support Open GL :'(

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 12:37:34 pm »
I'm observing the same palette-shift issue recently, too.

Offline Solus

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 01:56:52 pm »
I experienced a permanent palette-shift with OpenXCom during the last months. Switching to window mode helped; and with the newest AMD Catalyst Beta-Drivers the problem is now fixed.
Explanation: It all started with Windows7, which messed up the palette of old Direct2D-Games like Starcraft or MoO2 (but also OpenXCom) on some systems. That was fixed last year with a (optional) D2D-Patch. But this years things got messed up again. MS released together with IE10 a new version of this patch (that may caused graphical errors in Firefox), and AMD released a new Catalyst-driver, which seemed to undo the Win-Patch. Now they have finally fixed this again (offical note is only about Starcraft being fixed, but all the other D2D-Game are now fine too).

So if you experience a palette shift in OpenXCom, try to...
- check if the Windows 7 optional Direct2D-Patch is installed
- if you use a Radeon (5000 or higher) Card, install the Catalyst beta driver v13.11
or simply switch to window mode
- and if none of this helps, spam this forum with angry messages until it is fixed

Offline CoolKid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 06:52:50 pm »
Its not only for windows 7. Im using windows XP. And i think it has nothing to do with catalyst beta drivers. And u can run the game without any graphic card. I think this because of the color depth OXC used are 16 bit or below and this will interfere the game if u play in fullscreen (im not quite sure though :P).

And for this,

- and if none of this helps, spam this forum with angry messages until it is fixed

Don't start the flame please :(.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 07:35:56 pm by CoolKid »

Offline Tarvis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 03:14:28 am »
I experienced a permanent palette-shift with OpenXCom during the last months. Switching to window mode helped; and with the newest AMD Catalyst Beta-Drivers the problem is now fixed.
Explanation: It all started with Windows7, which messed up the palette of old Direct2D-Games like Starcraft or MoO2 (but also OpenXCom) on some systems. That was fixed last year with a (optional) D2D-Patch. But this years things got messed up again. MS released together with IE10 a new version of this patch (that may caused graphical errors in Firefox), and AMD released a new Catalyst-driver, which seemed to undo the Win-Patch. Now they have finally fixed this again (offical note is only about Starcraft being fixed, but all the other D2D-Game are now fine too).

So if you experience a palette shift in OpenXCom, try to...
- check if the Windows 7 optional Direct2D-Patch is installed
- if you use a Radeon (5000 or higher) Card, install the Catalyst beta driver v13.11
or simply switch to window mode
Like I said earlier, if you can, use one of the OpenGL modes. Since you're running Windows 7 I'm pretty sure your card can support it. That makes the game run as a 32-bit surface.

Otherwise, OpenXcom doesn't use Direct2D. It uses SDL for its software rendering, in 8-bit. Windows 7 doesn't handle 8-bit video well at all (explorer.exe overrides the game palette with its own, so if you kill that, it doesn't happen. Even then, some colors still aren't right in OpenXcom.), so you don't want to use the SDL modes with it.

I don't know what to say if you're running XP though. The only game I've had palette issues with on it was Command & Conquer 95, and I think the only fix for it was getting different drivers.

CoolKid, does it look okay in windowed mode? If it does, you can turn on Borderless in the options.ini with your monitor's resolution to get it 'fullscreen' if you want.

Offline CoolKid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 03:21:13 am »
CoolKid, does it look okay in windowed mode? If it does, you can turn on Borderless in the options.ini with your monitor's resolution to get it 'fullscreen' if you want.

Seems it does. And for borderless, do u mean stretched without black band? I prefer with border anyway :)

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 04:27:22 am »
The game color changed after finished researched something. it look weird. It restore to normal after closing the research screen. It happen occasionally~often. it not a big deal though. but still it would be nice if it fixed. Version git 24-11-2013

EDIT: This also happen when finished manufacturing and bought items arrived
I have pushed a fix in the latest git build, does it resolve the issue?

Offline CoolKid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 11:00:42 am »
Version Git 12-10. Played for about 2 hours. No problem detected. Its FIXED! Well done and thanks SS :).

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 03:47:13 am »
It isn't fixed. Got this a while ago. Latest build.

Offline CoolKid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 05:15:38 am »
It isn't fixed. Got this a while ago. Latest build.

Something wrong with that picture?
Sorry, but i didnt see anything wrong :P.

EDIT: Alright, So the text are supposed to be blue, right? I gotcha ;D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 05:38:07 am by CoolKid »

Offline HappyCat

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 09:13:14 am »
Interesting, screenshot shows the same issue I am currently having with android port.