Author Topic: If X-COM was real, would you enlist?  (Read 6222 times)

Offline Qpoter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
If X-COM was real, would you enlist?
« on: November 24, 2013, 06:37:52 am »
If X-COM was real, would you enlist?

Even considering the... steep... casualty rates, I personally would volunteer for it as soon as possible, since it's the kind of war that has no political agenda and is pretty much for the greatest cause in human history (ensuring we're not all in alien shackles).

This question assumes that the videogame series never existed in any form, so you'd have no real idea what you're getting into.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: If X-COM was real, would you enlist?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 06:57:29 am »
sure... as a scientist. reverse engineering advanced technology? yes please!

Offline Qpoter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 01:06:40 pm »
And the salaries!

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 02:09:55 pm »
And the salaries!

It never occured to me that what we pay them is only monthly. They get like half a million a year.

Offline Shadow

• Captain
  • Veteran Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 05:12:04 pm »
The salaries would be great, but mostly for the future and/or to help your family, since you'd be living in an underground base for the duration of the war and could only make use of your awesome savings yourself once and if the war's won (or if you're sacked). I suppose it's an additional incentive to work 23 hours a day. :P

You wouldn't enlist, though. X-COM would come to you with their offer if you're among the best and brightest in the global military/scientific community (cue useless rookie jokes).

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 05:34:41 pm »
I guess if they asked me, I would enlist. Although it would probably in the R&D department, too. Xenobiology or something :)

I mean, come on, xcom fights a war for the survival of humanity and the freedom of earth. of course I would join them if they thought I was good enough! (cue another round of useless rookie jokes... :) )

Offline Man in the Funny Hat

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 09:06:35 pm »
You bet I would.  Chances are I'd show up, they'd look at my stats and see I have awful reactions, no bravery, can't throw, etc. and fire me.  I'll then take my $40,000 and go home.  Unless it's an operation being run by one of you jerks who throw meat like me into the open in order to "scout".  I'm not a terrible shot but I DO start with a helluvalot of TU's for running when I panic.  I'm just sayin'.

Offline Qpoter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 10:11:02 pm »
Wow, this thread got going fast!

There have been numerous times when I fire all eight of my starting rookies for just being terrible... if they have a single redeeming quality, it was overshadowed by them having 10 Bravery or something.

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 12:33:17 am »
In another timeline where the War is real, but the game doesn't exist, right? Let me think about it... Heck noooooo. War is hell, count me out. I'll just wait for the game to come out since the industry will try to cash in on it after the war is won and declassified. Sadly, there's a greater chance of the game being terrible since all they see is $$$ and become a scripted mess based on the Hollywood movie.

I'll wait for the indie versions then.

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 03:17:48 pm »
Yeah, maybe after Xcom is fully mature and I get flying suits.  Must be totally near late game when you can afford to equip rookies with amazing hardware.

And if they found out I had low psi strength I'd probably resign.  Especially since I tend to use low psi strengths for reaction fire training.....  They stand in front and pull faces until the alien fires...  so that the high psi guys can get a shot off...

Offline crisisdude

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 08:24:43 pm »
Well if it was the version of Xcom that a make than no.  We would all die  ;D