aliens

Author Topic: Hi-Resolution Interface & Sprites...  (Read 38605 times)

Offline Zyxpsilon

• Sergeant
  • Here, Today.
    • View Profile
Re: Hi-Resolution Interface & Sprites...
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2011, 10:47:07 pm »
Dunno if you've actually read the exact opinions of the main coder for this tiny little jewel of a completely fresh RE_compiling of equivalent gameplay that OpenX-Com is... but there is Legality & then, there is Justice itself.

-- The original X-Com:UFO Defense title that i bought fair&square with cold hard ca$h back in July 1994 from a)Microprose as its distributor and b)Gollop_Mythos_Gang has -like every binary driven products ever sold- an EULA licensing gimmick attached.

-- Reading through this complex but pretty straight forward Legal text allows for specific usage & undeniable Rights that nobody on Earth can enforce, limit (expressively or otherwise), provide in different manners or terms, or deny (by DRM, spywaring, Ping looping at Networking levels, etc) anywhere on Earth no matter how hard they'd try.

-- As consumers we have the RIGHT to use & enjoy the products we purchased. It's a one way deal. I buy the Hot-Dog, i eat the Food. Somebody cooked it and was paid for the edible device. Offer/Demand.. Capitalist economy. The equation is a loop.

-- Comes Judge Dread and Lawyer X whom claims they can get a cut throat part of the proverbial pie(s). Only problem, the transaction has already been resolved for the good of two sides; Code boxed & code now runs on a PC. There's nothing in-between. Ziltch, nada, the void.

-- Art is a process... kept or sold.

They can all come and sue me. I paid already. A whole bunch for *some* Rights.

In the meantime, let us enjoy our creativity trips and if you claim we're being criminals for it, call the Police and send them right here to my door steps. I've got some news for the Cops, too.
Cuz, Honesty is a two-way street.

Offline DaiShiva

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2011, 12:39:32 am »
EDIT (Back with some comments after a swift run);

-- PckView is now compatible with Win7Aero, smoothly operating as expected. The palettes are still acting weirdly with the usual Greens, but there's a very simple workaround once these files are extracted; Load any valid *.PAL(s) as necessary and re-save in PSPro-X3.

-- 76 DPI is working as well. I've seen 72's everywhere in other progs, but i think it doesn't matter that much for file EXIFs of BMP copies. Except for the proper saves formatting, of course.

-- I was pleasantly surprised by a few new options (Compare, Save to Directory, HQ2x..) which have potential for some later iterations, i'm guessing. Up to you, but might as well consider adding HQ3 & 4 (maybe Lanczos & Bi_Linear) while you're there, no?

-- Saw you've also included a newest copy of MapView. Note that someone at StrategyCore (Zombie) altered v1.1 to fix the extra AlienShips back in '08.

-- The only remaining fact would be that a more recent XCView is "missing" and could be fixed (DLL, pal references) if you want.

The complete package would become absolutely essential for anyone willing to tackle a complete graphics re-editing.

I suspect the binaries that are downloaded off of sourceforge are some old version that is not the latest. I will have to update those.
the dpi value I dont know what its supposed to be. If you want it to be 72 I can make it that way. I entered '3000' instead of '0' and it comes out to 76. As long as the file works i dont think it matters much more than that.

The options have been in the sources for years. I found my .net wrapper for the hq2x code thats something like five years old. adding more hqx options would be trivial.

Everything needs to be updated, sure, but at the same time there is no motivation to work on it if noone is using it =)

Offline Zyxpsilon

• Sergeant
  • Here, Today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2011, 02:57:56 am »
I suspect the binaries that are downloaded off of sourceforge are some old version that is not the latest. I will have to update those.

Everything needs to be updated, sure, but at the same time there is no motivation to work on it if noone is using it =)
It's alright... IIRC, the sourceforge files are only picked from the whole SLN folders (of XCSuite 1.0) but there's no executables (binaries) overthere. They might be old, you should know it's your code! :) (((Oooppps, found the BIN file too! Sorry.)))

Well... at least one (me!) instead of noone.   ;)
I suspect a few more people might eventually require something to work with... up to you. If anything BombBloke's BB_tact command_line bats (outputs GIFs only) could serve as temporary alternative for anyone willing enough.

So far, the actual brand new stuff you gave above is perfectly fine. I'd enjoy having XCView too but again, you decide.
Thanks a bunch anyway  8) as i really appreciate the time you took to re-compile the latest versions.

EDIT; I forgot to attach this zip of palettes for anyone to examine... since, it essentially provides easy (or useful) ways to "inspect" Interface assets & code functions effects directly on the Battlescape/Geoscape (for both UFOD & TFTD, btw) screens at runtime.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 04:01:39 am by Zyxpsilon »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2011, 03:11:06 am »
Ok I'm usually pretty passive and approving around the forums, but I think I need to clear some things up here for Zyxpsilon and anyone else reading this thread:

- High-resolution graphics are a great endeavor and I always like seeing brand new takes on X-Com art. However to everyone involved, keep in mind that OpenXcom will not be supporting high-res graphics any time soon. It's not as simple as just "replacing the graphics" or "switching to 24-bit PNG" or whatever. It's not up for discussion. Once all the core gameplay is done and OpenXcom is fully functional and playable (v1.0), then we will look into such engine upgrades.

- Zyxpsilon, I get that you're full of enthusiasm and really excited about this, but keep in mind this is a "fan work", and OpenXcom developers are in no way directly involved and/or affiliated with this. So to avoid confusing people, please don't use words like "official" and the like in your posts (eg. "This thread will become the Official placeholder for all HD graphics development subjects." in your first post). I'll let you correct this yourself instead of editing your posts like some censor.

- Likewise, stuff like reserving a whole page of posts feels very ambitious and might intimidate any newcomers who wanna join in, so you might wanna tone it down a bit.

- Finally, legality issues are a very grey area, so I won't get into it. Nobody but an actual professional lawyer could clear the matter up. Even OpenXcom's legality is probably dubious, despite all efforts to keep it as clean and original as possible. In any case, anything that comes from this is purely the author's responsibility, so I'd appreciate it if everyone just used common sense and try not to step on anyone's toes, and not get into big ugly fights over what is right and what is wrong either. I expect everyone here to be mature people and behave as such.

With that out of the way, keep up the good work. :)

I sure hope people will use OpenXcom then! ;)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 03:13:01 am by SupSuper »

Offline Zyxpsilon

• Sergeant
  • Here, Today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2011, 03:50:38 am »
That solves most issues i've had since discovering this project and subsequently these forums.
Don't worry, i'll fix whatever you asked for and stay (as an active participant) here without overstepping any rational "limits" (own or driven by common sense from anyone!) of intervention.

Sorry about this whole mess but i *DO* have a long way to go to still "dream over" superb Hi-Res graphics (4X) for OX.. Okay?
Fact is.. TTS has some great stuff already to wet my appetite. That is until your probable formidable features see the light of days to come.

Any more technical details i'd wish to learn about, i'll simply keep track of your progress.

Gotcha!  :-\

Offline DaiShiva

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2011, 08:26:32 am »
So far, the actual brand new stuff you gave above is perfectly fine. I'd enjoy having XCView too but again, you decide.

Does it do anything differently than what your have in that archive? I believe XCView is just a renamed version of pckview (I wasnt using source control way back then, /shame on me)

Offline Zyxpsilon

• Sergeant
  • Here, Today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2011, 05:02:33 pm »
XCView (as an indirect "Background Viewer" for some tricky versions) can load all of these files;
TFTD(BDY),
X-Com (SCR) + X-Com Large (PCK)...from UFOGRAPH folder + UFO (SPK),
8bit (BMP),
and allows to Save Palette Stripes & Bars, etc.

While PCKView simply can't for most.

PS; The only difference i could detect from your internal palettes (having the Suite source) is that index #255 has many variable values while it's always pure maximum white on "Regular" valid defaults. Thus, it could be the saving routine_function which introduces the "Green" flaws on (BASEBITS & some others) BMP result files.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 05:33:40 pm by Zyxpsilon »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2011, 12:28:52 am »
XCView (as an indirect "Background Viewer" for some tricky versions) can load all of these files;
TFTD(BDY),
8bit (BMP),
The PCKview version on Sourceforge can open all those formats (maybe it should have a different name :P), although not as intuitively as XCView. To open SCR/DAT image files you need to open the file with *.*, then on the window that pops up select Uncompressed Image and specify the size (SCR images are 320x200).

There are a bunch of issues with the program, but now knowing it's open-source, I feel guilty about reporting them instead of just fixing them myself. :P

Offline DaiShiva

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2011, 01:36:50 am »
TFTD(BDY),
8bit (BMP),
The PCKview version on Sourceforge can open all those formats (maybe it should have a different name :P), although not as intuitively as XCView. To open SCR/DAT image files you need to open the file with *.*, then on the window that pops up select Uncompressed Image and specify the size (SCR images are 320x200).

There are a bunch of issues with the program, but now knowing it's open-source, I feel guilty about reporting them instead of just fixing them myself. :P

Please do report them! not saying anything gives the impression that:
a) everything is working fine
or
b) noone uses it

Offline Zyxpsilon

• Sergeant
  • Here, Today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2011, 03:38:36 am »
Oh well... i just tried PCKView to loadup some SCR (etc) using the "Uncompressed Routine" and it does - except the files are off-shoot by 75% to the left-side corner, making any of them completely unusable. I suspect most others will react the same.
So, i'll stick with the very old XCView i have and perform a few edits afterward should i need to -- unless, the man wants to compile a new version.

Daishiva,
Btw, speaking of compiling new stuff;
Would it be tooooooo much work to try integrating *all* APOC related PCKs, MAPs (etc) as well while you'd be considering it?

The REST; Cuz, lemme tell you - if it were just me... there would be a highly complex new code_program which certainly could mix-match all three major core titles into a single hell_of_a_ride of absolute Ground_Oceanic_Inter-Dimensional X-Com gameplay fest with all Alien races at once in any five Mega-Primus city-maps, T'leth (Mexican Gulf) and_or Cydonia (On Mars) through options or by default.

I'd even risk a reference to the absolute master of squad_level TBS style... Laser_Squad_Nemesis (to be fair to Gollop genius consistant work). But this might have to wait for a Gaming Industry revolution that excludes the likes of EA, Activision or whomever else has been tracking the X-Com license for quick profits.

Now, *THAT'S* a project worth killing for.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 04:07:56 am by Zyxpsilon »

Offline DaiShiva

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2011, 04:57:26 am »
Oh well... i just tried PCKView to loadup some SCR (etc) using the "Uncompressed Routine" and it does - except the files are off-shoot by 75% to the left-side corner, making any of them completely unusable. I suspect most others will react the same.
So, i'll stick with the very old XCView i have and perform a few edits afterward should i need to -- unless, the man wants to compile a new version.

Daishiva,
Btw, speaking of compiling new stuff;
Would it be tooooooo much work to try integrating *all* APOC related PCKs, MAPs (etc) as well while you'd be considering it?

The REST; Cuz, lemme tell you - if it were just me... there would be a highly complex new code_program which certainly could mix-match all three major core titles into a single hell_of_a_ride of absolute Ground_Oceanic_Inter-Dimensional X-Com gameplay fest with all Alien races at once in any five Mega-Primus city-maps, T'leth (Mexican Gulf) and_or Cydonia (On Mars) through options or by default.

I'd even risk a reference to the absolute master of squad_level TBS style... Laser_Squad_Nemesis (to be fair to Gollop genius consistant work). But this might have to wait for a Gaming Industry revolution that excludes the likes of EA, Activision or whomever else has been tracking the X-Com license for quick profits.

Now, *THAT'S* a project worth killing for.

ah yeah, the SCR loading is not intuitive. I just tried it out and was thinking 'wtf, this is awful'

If you save the profile, give it a description, then it will show up in the open file dialog and the SCR's will open up fine. they DO NOT look fine in the preview window. I shall have to fix that

I have APOC somewhere around here. Not sure if i can find my cd after all these years. I will have to look

Offline Zyxpsilon

• Sergeant
  • Here, Today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2011, 08:30:53 am »
Alright then, good news -- do whatever you think might be necessary!

I always liked the TFTD GeoBord.SCR Globe/Arrows "feel"... so i've used XCView to reload some edited bmp, resaved as SCR.
Works just fine, too!

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2011, 12:20:57 pm »

Please do report them! not saying anything gives the impression that:
a) everything is working fine
or
b) noone uses it
Well I might use it if it beats writing my own solutions for tweaking the original resources for OpenXcom. :P And I imagine others might too.
Some issues I remember in PckView (based on the SF download):
- There's 5 UFO palettes but PckView only has 4 (base and battlescape palettes are pretty similar but not the same), dunno about TFTD.
- Loading files through a custom profile doesn't automatically select the palette specified by the profile.
- Loading uncompressed images is limited to 1000x1000 (and resources like game fonts are bigger than that).

Offline Zyxpsilon

• Sergeant
  • Here, Today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2011, 09:50:05 pm »
Speaking of Fonts...

Shouldn't they be considered for some tuning as well, since a few letters aren't exactly "readable" at times (G vs C, etc)?

I don't mind keeping the approximate "Pixel_cornerings" effect (cuz it basicly identifies the stock X-Com titles design), but since they are somehow limited in numbers, we could add some extra characters slots (above the current 33_160 ASCII range that is) and use those for additional features to text fields. Units tags, swift mini_icons, slick but indirect "Animated gifs", maybe some Dingbats thrown in if obvious.
Even a sort of indirect TTF function could be integrated to allow for much more Interface control.
Re-sizing assets is one thing, having a coherent "product" another.
Thus, more smooth Fonts.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2011, 03:03:55 pm »
Any X-Com resources are up for improvement, that includes the fonts. Though they will be expanded from the default ASCII range to Unicode (not the full range obviously) for localization reasons, so there probably won't be room for "custom symbols". There's a TTF library for SDL too but that's probably very v1.0+.