aliens

Author Topic: [RESEARCH / GAME PACING / WEAPON] "slower technological progression"  (Read 8987 times)

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
here's the for-now-final version of my slower technological progression mod, using fenyo's latest addition to the game that allows for different manufacturing items to produce the same things...

here's what it does:

alien weapons cannot be used by humans. not without modifications, that is.
alien technology is researched in layers. at first, you have no clue how they work, then you find out they are operated by tapping into the mind of the user. then you find out that you can use mind probes to replace the relevant parts and make alien weapons human-usable. in the end, you can discover how to build the weapons from scratch.

human versions of the alien weapons are weaker.

I strongly recommend using the advanced option that self-destructs the weapons of killed aliens for the optimal experience of this.

as an extra, I added HWP/Plasma, HWP/Launcher and Hovertank/Laser, because why not? and to manufacture a tank with a certain weapon, you need one of those weapons as raw material.

also, the research topics for "tank weapon" and "base defense module" for the advanced weapons (laser / plasma / fusion) have been split into separate research subjects.

EDIT: updated file... human mind probe text string was missing :)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 12:19:47 am by moriarty »

Offline Hobbit Lord

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [RESEARCH / GAME PACING / WEAPON] "slower technological progression"
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 05:43:58 pm »
Is that a guaranteed 100% chance self destruct?

How are you supposed to study/research the weapons if you can't obtain any? Is it only through psi interrogation?

Also how does this affect game balance? I think the first captured aliens are often month 3-4 and mind probes in month 6-7... will you boost laser weapons or create additional human weapons?

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 05:59:17 pm »
the advanced option "alien weapon self destruction" destroys the alien's weapon at the alien's death, 100% chance, yes.

you don't need to have an alien containment in order to live-capture an alien, though ;) so once you buy some stun rods, you can capture alien weapons, that's precisely 24 hours for transfer from the arms dealer to your base.

and no, I didn't boost laser weapons or anything. so you might argue that this mod makes the game harder, but that's xcom, baby!

Offline tuszek

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 10:34:21 pm »
Im sure i can rough it for a bit without plasma, but i will be in trouble without selling expensive ufo stuff in short order.  ::)

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 10:59:43 pm »
I left the self-destruct option off, it's way too hard. Maybe on another play-through, but not the current one I'm in. I lose an Operative in almost every mission, even on small UFOs. Also seen how in certain situations they hit us hard on turn 1 just walking outside. 2-3 Floaters facing the lift and you lose everyone that walks out of the Skyranger. I no longer have any complaints about that..

Anyways, I haven't even touched plasma yet. I'll go for it when I need Plasma Cannons.

I wonder if Moriarty added Chiko's Plasma sprites for humans. I'd research right away just to see some new sprites.

Edit: Yeah I'm glad you didn't boost Lasers. I like variety in my weapon loadouts.

Offline Angelus_EV

• Colonel
  • Trust no one
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 05:07:21 pm »
hey can you ad the Railgun technology and sectopod construction to your mod?
or even better your mod, Railgun technology and sectopod construction maybe can be part of the advanced options menu