aliens

Author Topic: waypoint weapons - limit number of waypoints?  (Read 5006 times)

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
waypoint weapons - limit number of waypoints?
« on: November 09, 2013, 09:17:19 pm »
while it is certainly nice to remove limitations from the game, here's one I would like to re-introduce... the waypoint limit for guided weapons. of course, the limit should be configurable! maybe some other kind of restriction could also be implemented, like "every waypoint takes another 3 TUs" or something?

I'm suggesting this because I want to be able to reduce the threat / superiority of the blaster launcher without simply deleting it. and I think reducing the number of waypoints could be a good start. or maybe the number of waypoints that can be set could depend on a soldier stat? maybe the waypoints are programmed psionically, and you can only program up to (psi skill)/10 waypoints? speaking of that, I think I need to start another suggestion topic right now... :)

Offline Align

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: waypoint weapons - limit number of waypoints?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 01:04:50 am »
Maybe it could take accuracy into account for each waypoint in some small way? Making you wary of using more than you absolutely need. Enough to go around corners, but less doing a dance around your desired enemy to die before sending it up his buttocks.

Offline MKSheppard

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 08:26:07 pm »
If you limited the number of waypoints to 1, you'd be able to have a 'laser guided' missile with high accuracy; ala the game fluff for the Rocket Launcher.

Offline Qpoter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 03:55:33 am »
Dancing with the Blaster Launcher was always the best part about it.  :(

If you assume the Blaster isn't psionically controlled, there doesn't appear to be any mechanism for input of waypoints. Perhaps, the idea is that Blaster operators don't actually punch in any more than one waypoint; the game just allows you to control the Bomb's path (but that'd make the fine ballet abilities of the Blaster unexplainable).

Assuming it IS psionically controlled, imposing a limit would not do much to balance the Blaster Launcher (if that is your goal). I can get by with <5 waypoints.

Unless the waypoint limit is really steep, which isn't a stellar idea either...

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 04:22:04 pm »
Making the Blaster Launcher psi-dependent would be lore-unfriendly, since psionically weak aliens use them too. However, I really like paying with additional TUs for every waypoint used, as described by Moriarty. Therefore, each shot would take a certain base number of TUs (probably similar to a rocket launcher in aimed mode) and whatever extra TUs you want to burn on waypoints.
Actually it might be good if each consecutive waypoint took more TUs than the previous one, putting some limit on crazy stunts with blaster bombs.

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 09:05:40 am »
how about this
you have a "direct shot" option (without waypoint)
or you have multiple actions
set way point 1 1%TU+3TU
set way point 2 2%TU+5TU
set way point 9  9%TU+19TU
set way point 10  10%TU+20TU
and: Path-Shot 60% TU
that way setting a waypoint costs - you can still achieve all 10 wayponts but you will need 2 rounds for that
with 200 TU one can get 7 waypoint in one round with 100 TU one can get 5 waypoints
for that waypoint have to survive a turn
if that is not possible - another option: teamwork - each blaster holder can set a waypoint but you can only set one path at a time

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 11:47:59 am »
if that is not possible - another option: teamwork - each blaster holder can set a waypoint but you can only set one path at a time

"Pass the bong, man" :)

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 02:41:53 pm »
As long a Blaster launcher can shoot around corners I'm fine with it... ^^