aliens

Author Topic: [STAT TRACKING] Soldier Diaries 1.0  (Read 536408 times)

Offline MrFrustrated

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [STAT TRACKING] Soldier Diaries 1.0
« Reply #510 on: December 05, 2014, 02:06:27 am »
Shoes, I'm sorry, I deleted those saves for fear that saving onto those spaces might muck up future saves, but if I encounter the bug again, I will keep the save. It always happen on farmland, and it happen when the mission ended successfully (kill or capture didn't matter). I never tried aborting.

As for the medals, it would be cool if you can do them. I like your thoughts for the persistence award.

3 other shooting medals.

1) Hitting/killing an enemy(s) from the front, call it the Frontal Assult or Direct Approach Medal

2) Hitting/killing/stunning an enemy(s) from behind, call it the Sneak Attack or 'They came from behind'

3) The flanking version.

-You possibly limit these medals to certain enemies. For example a frontal assult on a sectopod is risky and worth accomending.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #511 on: December 05, 2014, 02:35:39 am »
The good news is that you have unlimited saves... well only limited by your hardrive (and yes, the save files are tiny).  All you have to do is save your game with a new name, like "Ithinkthisoneisgoombasstompedshoeshelpme.sav"

Cheers, Ivan

Offline MrFrustrated

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: December 08, 2014, 01:14:44 am »
A few ideas for medals

Could we have another pair of Fallen Soldier medals?

1. Best of Class. 1st/Best of a given rank died. The first time in any mission you lose a particular rank, that casualty gets this medal. Aftwards, the medal is only given to a soldier of the same rank who exceeds the first soldier of that rank to recieve it.

So I recently lost Colenel Meghan Rory, who had 26 kills and 3 stuns over 26 missions. She's not the first Colenel I've lost and she's not the last Colenel I've lost.

Lets say the 1st Col who died was Harry Amos, who had 13 kills. He gets the Best of Class, Colenel version.

Col. Rory gets it because her records exceeds Col. Amos's. Afterwards, only Colenels with a better record than Rory gets that medal. So if Commader Flovio dies (18 kills, 1 stun), he gets it because no other Commander has been KIA. It doesn't matter that his record is less than Rory's because they are not the same rank.

2. Fallen Best Soldier Medal. Regardless of rank, your very best soldier whos fallen to date gets this medal. So when Rory got killed, she gets this medal and no one else until another soldier of any rank dies who had more kills/stuns than Rory.

-For the purpose of determining best, you might use a combination of kills and stuns minus any friendlies killed. Then have a formualas that takes into account psi strength and psi training. Clearly a soldier with 100+ psi training was a guy you put considerable time into perfecting. You might consider crimson and purple hearts as well.

Why have these medals? Because you get attached to your high performers. I am getting rid of every rookie who does have a 75 psi strength or better, but I grandfathered in any squadie or higher. It helps that I have psi on line of sight setting. Otherwise, I would have likely tossed Rory who had a 22 Psi str. Had my Commander died, Flovio, I knew Rory would have gotten the promotion. She was by far my best long surviving soldier. The closest to her is the Commander and even he doesn't compare.

As it is now, I look at my memorial section to see the first time I lost someone of a given rank. These medals are an extension of that tendecy.

Another idea for a medal, 1st contact or 1st mission medal. The first time you fight the aliens, every soldier gets this medal regardless of how much they did.

Again why? I follow more closely my orginal troops; first battle was Jan 7th.. I still have one left, he's a captain, been injured at least twice. I lost 5 people on my first mission but it was worth the price since I captured 2 navigators and an engineer. Rory was the 2nd to last one I had left. Flovia's first mission was Jan 25th.

BTW, if I encounter the grompa stomp bug, I will upload the save.

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: December 08, 2014, 07:28:35 pm »
For those Fallen Soldier medals, I would probably just go with score ;p if their score is better, they get a medal. I think it would be pretty easy to do.

I like the idea of "first contact", and I think I could make it work. Something along the lines of checking to see if the medal had been given already and if not, award it.

Don't get too optimistic about this getting done soon, I still have time commitments elsewhere :(

Offline MrFrustrated

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: December 08, 2014, 10:43:48 pm »
Shoes, I appreciate anything that adds more flavor.

I'm glad you like the first contact idea.

Could you put on a non renewable trigger that only triggers for the first mission with a hostile on it?

Or were you planning to do it for all the alien races?

Anyways, a lot of people I know are in the middle of finals. Those who aren't have end of the year projects. Good luck with whatever is on your plate.

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 08, 2014, 11:37:25 pm »
I was thinking a "first to sight alien race X". You're looking for a special distinction for your day 1 soldiers though, right? I'm sure there would be a way to give them a "first come first serve" kind of medal.

Offline MrFrustrated

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: December 10, 2014, 12:14:45 am »
I would be happy with Mission 1, but I can see the merit in your view. If you can do both, that's awesome, but even 1 is very cool bit of flavor.

Offline Lobster

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 04, 2015, 11:23:57 am »
Appears to be an excellent mod, from what I've seen in video and pictures (adds a great RP element),  but I'm having a little trouble getting this mod to work properly for some reason.  I hope someone can point me in the right direction (I'm somewhat new to modding here).

It does somewhat work on my system, meaning the new buttons and screens show up (haven't tested the actual mission tracking).  However, the problem is the button names and all column headings and words have a "str_" in front of the name, which I assume represents the variable name of each object.  So basically, variable names are showing instead of the proper words themselves.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #518 on: January 05, 2015, 07:57:48 pm »

It does somewhat work on my system, meaning the new buttons and screens show up (haven't tested the actual mission tracking).  However, the problem is the button names and all column headings and words have a "str_" in front of the name, which I assume represents the variable name of each object.  So basically, variable names are showing instead of the proper words themselves.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Looks like you are dealing with a language pack issue.  There are a few translations for the commendations mod, and you should be able to use one of those.  If you are trying to use the Ufopedia Commendations addition, sadly, only English: US is guaranteed to work.

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 06, 2015, 01:26:01 pm »
If it is not a language issue, it could be a ruleset issue; did you put it in the right folder? If the buttons are there, the .exe is working. If you're getting commendations, then the mod is working (if not, check that it's turned on in the mod menu in-game).

Offline Lobster

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: January 07, 2015, 07:33:23 am »
Thanks a bunch for the replies Ivan and Shoes, but I am beyond stupid.  You were correct Shoes, it simply wasn't turned on in the mods section, like the other mods are.  Everything was working, the stats, tracking, etc, it was only the button labels and column headings that weren't displaying properly with the mod turned off.   Thanks again.   Terrific mod.   Makes me "care" even more about the soldiers.

By the way Ivan, been enjoying your Up Close and Personal series on youtube.  Was well into it until you mentioned Marbozir and his Long War series, then I got hooked on that  :)  I'll come back to yours though, was done very well.

Thanks guys.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #521 on: January 10, 2015, 09:48:18 pm »
Commendations UFOpedia 2.0 now available

This is an update to the UFOpedia mod that is available that adds a "COMMENDATION ENTRIES" Section in the Ufopedia and also adds English-UK support.

(HWP's have been consolidated with Craft and Armaments)

Download link here:
https://www.openxcom.com/mod/commendations-ufopedia-mod/download/9288e4a7

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 10, 2015, 10:40:30 pm »
I've added a link to it on the first page of this thread!

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #523 on: January 26, 2015, 09:11:49 pm »
Heya Shoes: An interesting wrinkle on the Nikes: :)

Situation: Downed SnakeMan Medium Scout, crew of 4, two of them killed in the crash.

Of the remaining snakes one is stunned by flashbang and pistol fire and falls unconcious.

The other dies to an alien grenade.

Both soldiers got Nikes.  (Footage in this episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNvfVtYNAe4)

Only one enemy was killed.  But both of them dropped an enemy so they were both awarded the medal.

I think the logic might need to be adjusted to take account of "stunned" enemies as well as killed ones.
I can see the logic is coded here:  src/Battlescape/DebriefingState.cpp line 269  but I don't know code well enough to understand it.

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 26, 2015, 10:51:16 pm »
The fact both of them got a Nike cross is definitely not good. The bug is the following: kills and stuns are kept in the same vector, but the Nike check does not count "alien kills", only the size of the vector "kills", so "stuns + kills". So since the vector size for each soldier is 1 (kill) and 1 (stun), they are both equal to 1 (kill) that the Nike Cross looks for. Fun stuff! You can check out how kills are stored in "void BattlescapeGame::checkForCasualties"

So that's an easy fix, but I want to ask you this: is the Nike Cross too easy to get? Should it count if some aliens are taken alive? Should it count if there are as few as two aliens? Should it count if some aliens were killed in the crash landing?

edit: also, while I'm in here, we can add a commendation for a soldier who takes all the units alive. Would that be a good commendation?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 10:53:58 pm by Shoes »