Author Topic: [STAT TRACKING] Soldier Diaries 1.0  (Read 542286 times)

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [STAT TRACKING] Soldier Diaries 1.0
« Reply #1140 on: April 24, 2016, 08:11:50 am »
Shoes, question about the current vs original faction issue we've discussed previously. Until that changes in the nightlies to count the original, would a "bandaid" fix in the meantime be to manually change the faction value from 0 to a 1 for MCed aliens in the save file post-mission? (Or even at the end of the mission before I end my final turn.) Then kill counts and all medals which require "FACTION_HOSTILE" (which is a lot of them) would be awarded correctly. Would changing that 0 to a 1 affect or screw up anything else I'm not taking into account?

So yeah. The problem is in the ruleset, there is a typo; that extra "5". All the other commendations are in the right place, and the HWP section is still present. In fact, that extra button is pushing the "UFOpedia" outside it's own little window box, so maybe I will have to report that issue or fix it myself.
I'm confused. Where is the typo in the ruleset with an extra 5? Is this only a Russian language version issue? My UFOPaedia looks 100% fine as far as I can tell.

I posted these issues on your Github page, but also here in case anyone else happens to know and can advise me how to fix these in the ruleset. As far as I know, they are code issues and not things that could be corrected in the ruleset though, but I could be wrong.
  • No RIP screen after a lost base defense mission. Yes, I learned this one first hand, haha.
  • Mind control and stunning are being counted as “kills” for the purposes of performance citation and race “xenocide” medals.
  • Athena Citation: Goes out to troops even when they don’t improve their stats at all. Gets handed out all the time way too easily so something is incorrect with the criteria I think.
  • Medal of Valor: This is medal for the “lone survivor” who saves the drop ship. I found out once by experience that it didn’t work and then upon further testing I got it to work once, but most tests it didn’t work. No idea why.
  • Weapon Proficiency Medals: Friendly fire kills count towards them.
  • Performance Citation: Should have multiple levels, but never gets awarded past the first one.
  • Improvisation kills not being applied towards Merit Star award even though they count towards kill count and other medals.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 08:29:17 am by Countdown »

Offline Kjotleik

• Colonel
  • I am Kjotleik
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: May 15, 2016, 03:32:16 am »
This is probably the right place to report this. At least, I hope so.

OpenXCom nightly 2016-05-09 01:19
FMP 1.9.2
New game
First Mission
Throwing a High Explosive that...
Kills one Sectoid, stuns one Sectoid and kills the Rookie too close to the explosion. The stunned alien dies later, I presume. I heard them scream every turn, so a little bit difficult to figure out who got stunned, and when he died.

And I got awarded with the Grenadier's Medal for killing three aliens in one blast. Hm. My rookies are counted as aliens, I see. How unfortunate.
Well, I hope this gets to the right people, if they don't know already.

Sincerely
Kjotleik

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: May 16, 2016, 06:26:32 pm »
You're at the right place! I had a feeling that I had some commendations being given out in the cases of friendly kills. If you want to fix it locally for your game, you can edit the definition of the medal to include a "FACTION_HOSTILE" somewhere's in there. If you enter debug mode (CTRL+D) you can clear commendations (CTRL+C) and then they will all be reawarded at the end of a mission/month, but with the correction you've brought.

Countdown, thanks for the list! I haven't touched OXC in a while, but if it's on the gist, then it won't be forgotten.

Offline Kjotleik

• Colonel
  • I am Kjotleik
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: May 16, 2016, 09:17:02 pm »
You're at the right place! I had a feeling that I had some commendations being given out in the cases of friendly kills. If you want to fix it locally for your game, you can edit the definition of the medal to include a "FACTION_HOSTILE" somewhere's in there.

Hmm.

I found this in commendations_FMP.rul:
Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_MEDAL_GRENADIERS_MEDAL_NAME
    description: STR_MEDAL_GRENADIERS_MEDAL_DESCRIPTION
    sprite: 14
    criteria:
      killsWithCriteriaTurn: [1, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 4]
    killCriteria:
      -
        3: ["FACTION_HOSTILE", "STATUS_DEAD", "BT_GRENADE"]
      -
        3: ["FACTION_HOSTILE", "STATUS_DEAD", "BT_PROXIMITYGRENADE"]

It is set to FACTION_HOSTILE as far as I can understand. It is also a fact that I don't get awarded this medal for killing only ONE enemy with a Grenade. Then i just get the medal for "killing with every weapon-type." (even though only one kill is made, and with a grenade - not with a firearm) I don't know the name of this last medal, and I cannot find it in the file... hm.

EDIT: Found It:
Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_MEDAL_ALLBATTLETYPES_NAME
    description: STR_MEDAL_ALLBATTLETYPES_DESCRIPTION
    sprite: 40
    criteria:
      killsWithCriteriaCareer: [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]
    killCriteria:
      -
        1: ["BT_FIREARM", "FACTION_HOSTILE", "STATUS_DEAD"]
        1: ["BT_MELEE", "FACTION_HOSTILE", "STATUS_UNCONSCIOUS"]
        1: ["BT_PROXIMITYGRENADE", "FACTION_HOSTILE", "STATUS_DEAD"]
        1: ["BT_GRENADE", "FACTION_HOSTILE", "STATUS_DEAD"]

Apparantly it is called BattleType. This is awarded if I kill with a Grenade. But not if I kill with a firearm. Not logical, as it seems the criteria shows I have to either kill with firearm, grenade, proxy or stun with melee. How do I make this so ALL the four criteria are needed before getting awarded? Would this work if I changed the melee-part from unconscious to dead?

Thanks for your time to help me clear this up. I'm really not getting it all, I feel. Perhaps it's just me misunderstanding how the logic works, but...well...   ???
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 09:39:03 pm by Kjotleik »

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: May 19, 2016, 10:28:50 pm »
Btw, the diaries sorta reveal what is the kind of UFO you fought in - should't be unknown until your research from captured aliens reveal the ships?

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: May 19, 2016, 10:48:16 pm »
Presumably these are codenames that XCom gives UFOs as soon as they see them? (So technically, they're not UFOs after the first, you can ID them!)

I'd bet sectoids don't call their crafts small/medium/large scouts, Abductor/Harvester, Supply/Terror ships and Battleships. And it's quite possible that snakemen have totally different names for them.

As such, these names are most likely given after XCom first spots, shoots down and cleans up one of the crafts, which is exactly when you would see the names in commendations (after a mission that involves that craft). Within a professional military unit, you can't just say "the small saucer that's made like a cross" and "the big saucer that's made like a star", etc.

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: May 20, 2016, 11:34:51 pm »
Thanks for your time to help me clear this up. I'm really not getting it all, I feel. Perhaps it's just me misunderstanding how the logic works, but...well...   ???

There is one outstanding bug that has eluded me for some time... the logic used to work, and then one day, it stopped working. In hindsight, I should have identified exactly what commit caused the bug.

The bug you are likely encountering is one to do with multi-criteria. My todo list as the bug described as "The last entry in a the kill "and" criteria is the only one being looked at.", which lines up with what you're describing: you got a grenade kill (last in the list), so you are awarded the commendation for getting a firearm, melee, proxy mine and grenade kill.

Regarding the grenadiers medal, if you're getting it for having killed a soldier, then that's odd. Was the soldier under mind control at the time? I seem to recall you said he was unconscious, so probably not. I might have to add that to the list!

List is found here, by the way : https://gist.github.com/Shoes01/3af40f402d287ae9c229

Feel free to add to it!

Btw, the diaries sorta reveal what is the kind of UFO you fought in - should't be unknown until your research from captured aliens reveal the ships?

What Arthanor said :)

Offline Kjotleik

• Colonel
  • I am Kjotleik
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: May 21, 2016, 05:53:02 am »
There is one outstanding bug that has eluded me for some time... the logic used to work, and then one day, it stopped working. In hindsight, I should have identified exactly what commit caused the bug.

The bug you are likely encountering is one to do with multi-criteria. My todo list as the bug described as "The last entry in a the kill "and" criteria is the only one being looked at.", which lines up with what you're describing: you got a grenade kill (last in the list), so you are awarded the commendation for getting a firearm, melee, proxy mine and grenade kill.

Regarding the grenadiers medal, if you're getting it for having killed a soldier, then that's odd. Was the soldier under mind control at the time? I seem to recall you said he was unconscious, so probably not. I might have to add that to the list!

List is found here, by the way : https://gist.github.com/Shoes01/3af40f402d287ae9c229

Feel free to add to it!

Thanks. OK. Then it is a bug concerning lists of criteria that all need to be considered (and now it only considers the last one).
I'm afraid I'm unable to help with that part, as I cannot write original code (but I'm really good at using CTRL+C and V)   ;D

At the moment I have no account at github, so I cannot comment on there.

To clear up any mis-remembrances: My soldier was on the game's very first mission. He got (according to the Diary-screen) ONE kill (alien), ONE kill (rookie) and ONE stun (alien) by tossing ONE High Explosive (HE).

I hope you figure out what is wrong. I really like this part of the game (even though I normally don't pay that much attention to "achievements" in games) as it makes the soldiers even more unique, and thus important to keep alive. One always need a reason for keeping soldiers alive in this game. The Commendations/Medals helps with this. I especially consider it a bad day for X-Com   :'(  once the last of the "First to Serve" soldiers have met their maker in the line of duty...

Sincerely
Kjotleik

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: May 21, 2016, 08:25:43 am »
Kjotleik, I also really enjoy the commendations. If you look at the last several pages of this thread you can get a good idea of which awards are buggy and you'll also notice this as you play. Personally, I took Shoes advice and deleted the faulty ones from the ruleset until a time they are fixed. I enjoy it more this way rather than soldiers constantly getting awarded medals that they shouldn't. Even deleting some, there are still plenty to go around.

And yes, it is always sad when I lose the last "First to Serve" soldier. So far for me though it is inevitable as I usually have at least one squad wipe early on. I could artificially one of the original 8 survive by never taking them out of the SkyRanger, but where is the fun in that? They need to rack up their kill count.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 08:28:03 am by Countdown »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1149 on: May 21, 2016, 11:54:32 pm »
By the way, I really don't take any responsibility for FMP compatibility. :P Yes, the Commendations mod is included in the FMP, but I the changes I made to add it were made quite blindly (like adding new alien species where I thought they should be). So if something's wrong with your FMP game, I could be responsible, though it hasn't happened yet.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #1150 on: July 08, 2016, 01:09:14 am »
It means "I fixed something but I can't guarantee I fixed the root of the problem because this is a harsh bitter world we live in". :P

Anyways I cleaned up the UI sizing stuff, I'll look into the color problems next.

I dug through the commits and found the one that fixed the palette bug in the end of mission medals awarded screen:
https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/commit/4a6b67655dbdfa4228d388e4d867d3b20bbaac8d  (Thanks SupSuper!)

This is just a PSA for anyone trying their own builds (caused by trouble shooting OpenXcom Extended + 3.0).

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: [STAT TRACKING] Soldier Diaries 1.0 - PirateZ Commendations
« Reply #1151 on: July 09, 2016, 02:22:14 am »
PSA:  Alternate Commendations Mod for Piratez:

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4734.msg67012.html#msg67012

I'm posting this here, as I have just heavily revamped the Commendations mod to shape it to fit Piratez. 

In the process I did a lot of work simplifying the mod by breaking up the ruleset quite a bit, and making it much easier to understand.
- In the criteria ruleset, I changed the names of all the medals to reflect their purpose (i.e. Changed Valient Crux to SavedAll - as it is an award for saving all civilians in a terror mission).
- I also added in comments explaining the award for each one, as well as the popular name for the medal (as we have crafted them for Piratez) like "Valient Crux"

All of the original commendations are still in the files, they are just commented out. 

Overall, this version may be a great starting point for someone else desiring to make their own commendations build for their own Total Conversion, or even provide some ideas to revamp and simplify the standard Commendations mod.

The file is linked in the first post from the thread I posted early. 

Thanks again to Shoes, SupSuper and all the others who have worked birthing this mod and integrating it back into the main branch!

Offline The_Atomik_Punk!

• Sergeant
  • Nobody rules these streets at night but me!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: July 23, 2016, 01:36:03 am »
Hey guys, I could really use some help in setting this mod up with my OpenXcom 1.0 install. I've tried multiple versions, but it doesn't seem to work for me. The game loads, I see the option to enable it in the "MODS" section of options, but in-game I don't see the "record" button on the soldier screen. Should it be visible from the start, or only after the soldiers have something to record? I'd really appreciate any help in setting this up, as this mod seem like such an asset in creating a more immersive and meaningful connection with you soldiers, as well as a cool way to remind yourslef of all the craziness that goes down across countless missions.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #1153 on: July 23, 2016, 06:46:00 am »
You will need to install one of the latest nightlies.  The 1.0 milestone is very out of date and the mod structure is completely different now.

https://openxcom.org/git-builds/

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Installation_FAQ_(OpenXcom)

Offline The_Atomik_Punk!

• Sergeant
  • Nobody rules these streets at night but me!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: July 23, 2016, 10:24:35 pm »
Awesome, so it seems I have the mod working, which is great, but I'm a little confused now about my install directories. So, I originally installed my GOG copy of XCom UFO Defense to C:/GOG:/Xcom Ufo Defense. I then installed OpenXcom's latest nightly in that same directory, so a openxcom folder is now in that Xcom Ufo Defense Folder.

What confuses me is the following: I also have a directory C:/ Program Files:/OpenXcom. I don't remember creating that- is it generated when installing openxcom? Is that left over from when I installed OpenXcom 1.0 previously? The reason I ask this is because when I installed this soldier diaries mod, I was instructed to overwrite the .dll files in openxcom.exe in my c:/programfiles:/oopenscom directory, and not my C:/GOG:/Xcom Ufo Defense/opensxcom directory as advised by the ufopedia installation guide.

My confusion is threefold:

1. Where'd the C:/ Program Files:/OpenXcom directory come from? Leftover from my previous OpenXcom .0 installation, or was it generated when starting up the latest nightly?

2. When I replaced the openxcom.exe in C:/ Program Files:/OpenXcom (where the .dll files were), it doesn't run when clicked, but my .exe in C:/GOG:/Xcom Ufo Defense/opensxcom (which I've always used) works, with the mod functioning. Is this correct, or should the replacement .exe from this mod work to launch the game?

3. Do I need to keep a folder in my C:/documents:/openxcom:/mods name nightly. that contains folders named standard, commendations, etc, or is that only needed in the C:/programfiles:/openxcom directory that I installed this mod to?

I'm really very sorry if my questions are confusing (they are to me!), it's just that while this mod (and others) are currently working great, I'd like to better understand the modding directory locations for this mod, as I'd like to avoid confusion and hassle in the future when this mod is inevitably updated. As an aside, this mod adds such awesome functionality, that I don't see the reason why it shouldn't come integrated as a toggleable mod with OpenXcom.