Author Topic: 'less clicks' suggestions  (Read 4312 times)

Offline Arpia

• Colonel
    • View Profile
'less clicks' suggestions
« on: November 01, 2013, 08:21:13 am »
Manufacture project queue
As it stands, we can set up several different jobs for manufacturing. But unless engineers are assigned then nothing happens... and when a job finishes it requires manual reassigning. but generally all we wanna do is assign all free engineers to the next job on the queue. When a job pops up on the geoscape as finished, it'd be nice to have a 'start next project' function, that auto assigns all free engineers to the next job in the queue.
Advanced options feature? or an extra button when the prompt on the geoscape pops? could probably be applied to research projects as well?

Simultaneous craft launch
It could save a lot of clicking if we had the ability to send multiple craft a target at once. My thoughts for this would be to change the craft select to a 'highlight craft-accept' behavior, the same way we choose and assign troops to a transporter. yeah... that would nice o_o

Range Based Accuracy as ruleset flag
Lately i was thinking of how to differentiate weapon types to create sniper rifles and shotguns/smgs, so I played around with the [maxRange] flag... but I was bit disappointed when it wouldn't let me fire because the target was a tile or two out of range. It works for grenades or a limited reach weapon like a flame thrower. But if I had a shotgun or smg... the target standing slightly out of the weapons effective range wouldn't stop me from firing... I'd just be a little less likely to hit the mark. So it would be nice if I could set the 'effective range' of a weapon before accuracy starts to drop. And possibly the % increment accuracy drops per tile?
and for sniper rifles, often they don't work well in tight quarters, so reversing the effect (closer = less accurate) would allow us to simulate that too

Offline Svanh

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 'less clicks' suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 11:17:19 pm »
Lately i was thinking of how to differentiate weapon types to create sniper rifles and shotguns/smgs, so I played around with the [maxRange] flag... but I was bit disappointed when it wouldn't let me fire because the target was a tile or two out of range. It works for grenades or a limited reach weapon like a flame thrower. But if I had a shotgun or smg... the target standing slightly out of the weapons effective range wouldn't stop me from firing... I'd just be a little less likely to hit the mark. So it would be nice if I could set the 'effective range' of a weapon before accuracy starts to drop. And possibly the % increment accuracy drops per tile?
and for sniper rifles, often they don't work well in tight quarters, so reversing the effect (closer = less accurate) would allow us to simulate that too

This would be great for modding. To get the closer=less accurate effect I'd just make the weapon fairly inaccurate with negative accuracy falloff per square outside of its min range.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 04:37:48 pm »
These are all very good ideas. The first two look rather easy to implement, and would be really nice. That last one is rather complicated though and I wouldn't expect it any time soon; also it'd be a big balance change and I'm not sure we want that, but the modding possibilities are tempting.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 02:02:14 pm »

i've added this. try setting minRange and aimRange values, and toy with the dropoff values until you find something you like. turn on ufoextender accuracy to see the precise effects.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 04:11:54 pm »
IMO a better system would be to use a weapon-dependant deviation for successful shots : this deviation would be like 1° for long-range weapons, and 5° to 10°  for inherently shorter-range weapons.